Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: My Computer is Dead!!! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Help!!!!!

i went back to the room last night and booted up like always and i get a blue screenstating unmountable boot volume. from what everyone here says it sounds like my hard drive is dead..
help!!!!

-gauge

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 5:10 am
D-O-GHome userMember since 2005

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 5:48 am
thanks, problem is
i have no windows cd

-gauge

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 5:55 am
DJ Gauge....all I can say is I am sorry man. I wish I had a spare drive (external) that I could send you.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 5:59 am
its alright i guys i'll just suck it up for a couple more weeks

-gauge

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 6:03 am
Not to cover the basics, but, does it TRY too boot? If so, can you press F8 while it is booting and get into any other mood? From their you could try to boot to last know good configuration...

Did you add any software/hardware before?

Can you boot to safe mode with networking?

Don't give up.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 7:19 am
i have tried safe mode
but nit with networking

-gauge

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 7:34 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Sounds to me like your hard drive is dead. How old is laptop? If you have a NTFS file system on WinXp than most sure hard is dead, but if you had a FAT32 file system even a power failure can damage Windows boot section. You need a Win cd!

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 10:18 am
the laptop is less than one year old, and i belive its a NTFS, but not sure

compaq presario 2200

-gauge

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 10:42 am
If the laptop came with windows pre-installed you would most likely not have a windows CD but there should be at least a system CD in the box.. you can use that to boot and try to restore the HD. Other solution would be to get Partition magic which afaik can also boot from CD and then restore the partition to a bootable state, after that if you are lucky you can use the HD again or at least use a recovery tool like R-Studio to get as ,much data as possible off of the (damaged) HD..

good luck!!

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 12:54 pm
Guage if you can hop on a friend's PC to get on MSN I can try to help you out buddy

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 3:18 pm
When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume". This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up.

So, what do you do about it, panic and try to mount your boot in your computer...... No that is probably not a good idea.

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
You will get a dos prompt
Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
"Y" and enter at the prompt
Then type "exit" and hit enter
The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.
This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

To repair this under Windows XP for compaq and HP laptops since there is no Boot CD included upon the purchase here is a link to download it. Note it takes up approx 6 blank diskettes

http://techtips4u.com/downloads/

On this site you will have the opportunity to download different microsoft boot for each OS.

Some users might get a msg asking for the location of of autochk.exe well the correct location of this file is C:\WINDOWS\system32 and you can download it here: http://techtips4u.com/downloads/AUTOCHK.EXE

You don't need to do this but it may help if your having trouble.

Hope this helps Gauge or anyone else that might have this error

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 4:01 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 4:35 pm
well Listen I listed both the short and long way of trying to fix it. the post you've mentioned is the long way but if the short way doesn't work then the long way is a must try lol.

the link you gave didn't offer any links to the boot files but its still good info :D

Thanks for the help I'm sure gauge is going to have some fun trying out the different fix methods

Now maybe he'll listen to me when I say don't buy compaq or HP systems :P

LOL

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 4:39 pm
Gauge, if you are unable to fix your computer, I could load up a new hard drive for you and ship it to you. I know mail takes a helluva long time to get to you there and I think you'll only be there for another month, but if you're interested I'll send you a 40GB or a 60GB,.. whatever I have laying around. What I do in order to make you able to install it in your laptop is create a second partition with the Windows XP install and any drivers you need. Make partition 1 bootable, then you can boot and actually run the Windows XP install from the second partition of the hard drive. Let me know if nothing else works out for you. I know it must suck being stuck over there with no VDJ. Plus we get no more mouse scratch mixes and the scratch contest will be put on hold!

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 5:30 pm
yeah i am trying all this today, i have no floppy drive is it possible to burn this bootdisk to cd? also thanks anewsome but i will be home in 2 weeks then i will have a real computer

-gauge

thanks for the help guys i will keep trying
compaq support sucks!!!!

Posted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 6:33 am
ok i figured out how to fix it

im going to have to take it with me when i go home and chuck it out the back of the plane at about 30k feet

-gauge

Posted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 10:27 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Gauge,

Maybe one of your mates in the barracks didn't appreciate you blasting VDJ mixes at 1am and ran a big magnet next to your hard-drive when you were not looking...

:P

Posted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 11:19 am
good possibility

well my only means of keeping sanity is gone

so i guess its back to the prozak

whats funny is i wish i was joking

- melloncollie gauge

Posted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 1:00 pm
Looking forward to you getting home DJ_Gauge...I would like to see what a real computer looks like...lol....other than that I am glad you got a lot of help from the others here. When it comes to what makes a real computer work I am lost, so I would be of no help. By the way...Where is home when you get Stateside?

Posted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 4:27 pm
91%