Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New DJ Super TAX - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I've just read an article in Mixmag January 2006 about a new two hundred pound licence. The article reads:

DJ's now need to buy an annual £200 pound licence if they wish to play digital copies of tunes. This includes all music stored on laptops and MP3's burned to CD. Even DJ's playing tunes bought legally through download sites such as beatport.com need the licence, as under the new copyright law they are illegally playing tracks.

The company behind the super-tax are Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL), a non profit organisation set up to serve more than 3000 UK record companies. The £200 will go to PPL, which then distributes the money to the record companies it represents. Peter Leapham, director of legal affairs at PPL, has warned Mixmag: "We're considering various ways of catching unlicenced DJ's, which will involve visiting clubs and bars."

"If a DJ without a licence receives an injuction for infringment and they refuse to comply, this will be seen as contempt of court and can lead to imprisonment."

After launching the licence in September, PPL say they will soon start using trading standards officers and private enquiry agents to catch DJ's without the licence. You have been warned.

In 2003, Adam F spearheaded a campaign to get DJ's to pay for royalties for all the tracks they played digital or otherwise. Thankfully the idea never took off. However, now PPL are on the case, the digital DJ's among you should take this announcement as an official warning.

For more info check www.ppluk.com

Or text "NO licence for me / Where do I pay" to 07781 481476

Sorry to be one bringing bad tidings to the forum but just thought you should be aware. I personally think this is shocking. It reminds me of the days prior to the criminal justice bill/act.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 11:14 am
Although I'm in the United States, to me, this sounds like a good idea for a couple of reasons...

I have a lot of tracks I purchased legally from promotional companies and THESE tracks are (at least as it has been explained to me) the only permissible tracks I can play "publically," whereas other tracks I have amassed over time and some of the CDs are no longer "around." Additionally, sometimes you come across a track you just can't find from "questionable" sources. To have a master license that irradicates the question of the legality of your tracks, I see this as a good thing.

Next, I'd say that any DJ/KJ/VJ worth their weight in CDs can afford to pay 200 pounds (I believe this would be almost $400 US). Assuming that this would ALSO be cover your need for a business license, it would say to these people who under cut you in price, if you can't afford to pay the license, WE ARE GOING TO SHUT YOU DOWN... then they may think twice about charging BARGAIN BASEMENT PRICING...

Again, I'm not from the UK, and I doubt this would cover me in the US, but the flip side is, I bet we have MORE DJs here in the NYC area then in most of the UK (I could be wrong) and enforcement would be, well, impossible.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 12:43 pm
In Canada we also have a few licencing options.

Each with their own price of course but when looking at the price of the annual licence compared to what we earn per gig the price is definatelly not an issue.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 1:22 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I agree that it would be a good thing.
As far as enforcement goes, the public venues are already shutting down digital djs in parts of this country, it would re-open that door.
As far as private sector goes, once people realized the difference and legalities they too would be looking for a licence much like they do for a plumber or electrician.
The low ball market would remain the same naturally taking the risks to save a buck, and this small market could be easily enforced in public venues, leaving only private parties which escape most of the laws of "public perfomance for profit".

Anything that is going to aid in the legitimizing of this format is positive imo, it's all how you look at it.
This debate can get ugly over legitimate libraries with respect to "download djs", so lets not go there.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 1:55 pm
Well, I know you said "This debate can get ugly over legitimate libraries with respect to "download djs", so lets not go there." but I feel I have to say something Rick. If everyone was paying a licence fee, then even the "download djs" would be more legitimate rather than completely illegitimate. At least the artists would be getting something for their work.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 2:49 pm
I am totally against a special licence.... we already pay once for the music, We shouldn't pay twice...

I pay less than $300.00 a year for my weekly prime cuts subscription, why would I pay $400.00 for another license to play them. Why do DJ's feel the need to pay for a license to establish legitimacy? You want credibility, you want professional appearance? Get a nice website... answer your phone professionally, dress nicely, donate to charities, pay your damn taxes, keep your car clean, keep your equipment clean, etc.....act like a business instead of some little punk.

This all comes down to the same old stuff..... Everyone has some downloaded music. Venues are supposed to have an ASCAP lisence, which covers you already, and who cares where someone gets their music? I charge on average $75.00 to $100.00 more than most area DJ's and I stay busy.... The little guys who download music all day and DJ for $50.00 and a beer tab don't hurt my business at all... leave them alone.... I've never lost a gig to someone who charges less... Like I get $225.00 to do my weekly shows at bars.... they have people coming in trying to snake the gig for $150.00 a night, but my establishments won't get rid of me, because I stay in tune with them, I make them money, and I'm professional... they don't care where I get my music.... They have an ASCAP lisence... I could be ripping my music off from the cars in the parking lot for all they care...

it's not about being a download dj, or purchasing dj, it's about the service you provide!.. You can buy every piece of high tech equipment, and every piece of music released, and it's not gonna' make you a good DJ, or make people want to hire you....

A good DJ can play all genres, country, urban, soul, oldies, rock, 80's, etc....

Not Just techno and house, which anyone over the age of seven can mix.... if every song you play sounds the same, it makes mixing a snap! Where's the sport there? I know why all of the club dj's complain, because everyone has found out that you don't need talent to mix 4/4 boom cha boom cha boom cha music! Just a computer! The myth of the club DJ being a gifted performer is dead... DJ's are not rock stars.... we're button pushing monkeys playing someone else's music! we are no different than the guy working at mc donalds... he didn't invent the hamburgers and fries, he just shovels them out to the waiting customers... just like a DJ does with music. You de-value yourself by sticking to one genre alone which anyone can mix.... You don't make less money because others are downloading music, you make less money because you offer a service that a million other kids can also offer... supply and demand... you're not offering anything that they can't get for cheaper, why hire you

It's all about making money. I make a living DJing... I am a professional DJ, that's all I do..... I own a house and a boat, and a new truck, 9 P.A. systems and 10 Laptop computer rigs, and lots of other great things. Why? Because I treat DJing like a business. the people on the recieving end of the music don't know or care how anti-establishment I am.... I'm cool because I have the best full time job in the world, and when I'm done at the end of the night, I can do whatever I want, because I won't be going into an office tomorrow....

What levels the playing field is ability, soundsystem, etc.... I know that even though I own a good 800+ compact disks, I have a good 2-3 thousand tracks I couldn't find any other place other than napster, or limewire.... downloading is our friend. Instead of spreading false stories of DJ's getting hauled off to federal prison, concentrate on being a better DJ yourself! become more diverse! and more of a businessman. There has not been one single arrest in the USA for someone using mp-3 to DJ... the only people who have ever had problems are people who sell bootleg CDs. Copyright infringement and piracy are federal offenses... the only people who can do anything about arresting you, or seizing your equipment are the FBI, or a federal marshall, and I can promise you they have better things to do now than chase some half assed DJ around and around the pool table in some honky tonk bar because they're djing with mp-3 files from napster!.... All of these stories people spread are made up by DJ's who think that by scaring the other DJ's they'll gain an advantage.... You wanna' really scare them? Become the most sought after DJ service in the area....

-Steve

I feel bad for you guys over there across the pond! I'd throw a fit and write to every government figure I could to let them know that I won't have it! I mean heck, look what we here in the united states did when england tried to tax us?..... oh wait, sorry!......bad example..... but you get my point... rage against the system! let them know you disagree!

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 6:00 pm
TheTurkPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i live in canada and its not illegal to download music but i dont know about djing it though..

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 7:33 pm
That was a mouth full...

Have you ever considered singing karaoke? HAHA, just kidding.

I see your point. But here's my experience on the "ASCAP" side. I owned a bar (yeah, I know), and I didn't want to pay my ASCAP liscensing... not because I didn't feel it was right, but because it was WAY DOWN ON THE POLE... Just above my Better Business Buruea membership =0)

As a KJ, I know that I spent a LOT of money on my library of music. I have over 1000 CDs and 100 LDs for over 30,000 karaoke tracks. On top of that, I'm getting into video and have always played dj music. I never call myself a DJ, but anything to make me a little more secure.

They say, it is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. This "tax" as I see it, begs forgiveness... should you not pay your taxes, should you not have a business license, or whatever, you can always say, "Whoops, I thought that's what THIS LICENSE was for..." Then you have something that says you tried. Not all of us are MBA's and no I don't run my HOBBY (that also pays my bills and gets me what I want in life SOLELY) like a business. If I did run it like a business, my system would be working even when I didn't want to work, but then comes the headaches of employees, taxes, social security... YUCK... that's why I gave up on the bar business and threw all my money into my system, music collection and do what i do best, HOST the best damn karaoke show.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 8:04 pm
ok i think that we shouldnt have such a tax because if there taxing us to dj (playing music)
then they should tax everybody in the world who plays music for parties or clubs or anything its not right to tax someone to play a song that is favourible by the people we are the people and we just like having fun its not like we get payed hell we payed for this program who the hell says we have to pay a goddamne tax to use this this music you hear for the love of god who in there right mind would pay to play a song ?
i think its nonesence

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 8:10 pm
Ok so there saying if we buy cds and play them in public we need a license to do this?
or lets say we buy cds and dj them in public we need a license?
we use a laptop and songs in public in PUBLIC and we dont get PAYED we need A LICENSE?
or if we download music and play them in public we need a license and also buy the music?

MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC THIS IS JUST A THING YOU HEAR
then they should just go catch all the millions of people WHO PLAY MUSIC IN PUBLIC AND ARESST THEM THEN

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 9:51 pm
The Turk you can learn more about the canadian licencing here: http://www.avla.ca/

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 9:51 pm
thank you
i just cant believe this nonesence though

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 9:53 pm
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@DJ Gio:
Well said buddy :)

@Anyone who supports any form of licensing:

Enough of this crap.
How any of you can even consider supporting this is beyond me.
STAND UP FOR YOURSELVES.

We're already getting screwed over by paying for music that we are marketing.
It comes down to us paying for the marketing of the music industry.

But that wasn't enough.
Now they want us to pay for the right to pay for their marketing.

They are mocking us and walking all over us because no one stands up for anything anymore.

Stop being suckers.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 10:00 pm
ok im going to law school and screwing them
i still dont get one thing if i buy a cd and play it live in VDJ and dj it do i need a license for even this?

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 10:10 pm
Alright I hear you all on this. I own all of my music and have paid the rights.

If you work in a bar then its the bar's responsibility to pay for the licence.
If you do mobile work then YOU should be responsible for paying the licence.

For everyone here saying BS about not supporting this here is a little example that I would have to say everyone seems to agree on.

Driver's licence.

How many of you have one? Have any of you complained because you needed one even if you paid for your vehicle?

I can careless about a mere few hundred bucks a year to be legitimate and having a licence. I pay my taxes as well. If this helps against those cheap DJs who refuse to pay for their stuff...then great it will shut some down. Those who are legitimate and carefully reads the licencing information, it clearly states that you must own the original copy weither it be on CD or Vinyl.

a driver's licence does not mean you can drive your car. You need to have insurance first.

This is just an example out of many that rules our everyday lives.

@ Turk if you go and properly read all of the licencing it ONLY MENTIONS!!!! that you need a licence for playing music from a CD, another for burned CDs, and there is another one that will permit you from playing mp3s from a hard drive.

each licence has their price. if you even want to get some advertising for your company there is another organization called CDJA in which you pay a fee, they advertise your company on their website AS WELL as give you 2 licences from AVLA :D

Pretty much a win win situation if you ask me.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 10:10 pm
ok so i need a license for something i went and bought at a store from to play
then why not have a license for the food you eat and Share with other people
i dont have a car license im not 16 yet...
but when i buy a license the license isnt going to save me from the car that just bashed into me and then you think i bought the car i biguht the insurance ok
I BIUGHT THE LICENSE and the license only allows me to legaly drive it doesnt do anything else
THESE PEOPLE JUST WANT MONEY FROM US
MUsic is something you hear i go out and buy a cd play it in public people can leave if they dont want to hear it it doesnt meen i need to LEGALY PLAY THE CD I PURCHASED FROM A STORE
if i tapped my foot on the ground im making a sound in which people hear
but there arent licences for making music with your feet or hands OR DRUM SET in which you use sticks

WHite devil im not against you or anything these are just some of my opinions.

TheTurk.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 10:38 pm
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@DJ_whiteDVL

"Pretty much a win win situation if you ask me."
It's a 100% completely lose-win situation.
The DJs lose, the greedy suits in the music industry win.

Best way to make sense of all of this is with an example.

Take Tiesto.
The highest paid, most popular DJ in the world.

If no DJs played his songs, he wouldn't be where he's at right now.
He'd just be some guy struggling to make it.

But because of our mass marketing power, he reached the next level.

Even if everyone one of his fans pirated his music and he made 0.00$ dollars in record sales, he'd still be making a few million dollars a year from his gigs, and another kazillion dollars from advertising deals just because of his popularity.

But what do the DJs that put him on the map get in return?
They get the obligation to pay money for putting him on the map.
And we're not getting screwed here?

We make superstars.
Yes they need talent and a good product.
But without anyone playing their songs to the public, they won't be going anywhere.
Whether it be the club/mobile/radio DJs playing them, no one becomes a superstar without a whollllllllllllle bunch of DJs playing their songs.

We are the marketing machine.
Not only do we get nothing out of it, but we are asked to pay for it.
Now they want us to pay for the right to pay for it.

Wake up guys.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 10:41 pm
alright here we go on another war

Its simple. If you want the finest new technology and don't want to pay for it then haul 500 lbs of vinyl or 30 lbs of cds (ALL ORIGINALS!!!!!) to each gig.

I know it sucks to pay a licence in order to play the music you purchased. Today's technology has so many loop holes that there is definatelly a need for this crap. If artists don't make cash do you think they will want to make more music?

Would you keep producing cds if people pirated your shit? gigs pay sure...CD sales pay much more. Sometimes you have to think of this stuff. I know Tiesto makes loads of cash and so do many others from their gigs.

If Djs don't pay for their stuff then why should they not be forced to be checked. I've been checked many times to make sure my stuff was legal I had no objections to it. I've had friends who were caught and paid a hefty fine for it. Good for them. Laws generally give you 24 hours to provide proof of you owning the originals. I personally think that's enough time to provide that kind of info.

licences are licences. when buying many CDs some clearly state "NOT TO BE BROADCASTED...."

Those words are there for a reason people unfortunatelly just don't spend the time to read or be legitimate about their business. Its all about being professional and watching what you get. Promo only should definatelly be excluded from the licences since they permit the stuff to be broadcasted or played in public and I'm sure other record pools work that way too. Unfortunatelly Limewire, Kazaa and other P2P software DOES NOT give promo songs.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 10:52 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

You are right WDVL, our purchase not give us the permission to broadcast or make a profit with this public exibitions we made as a DJs.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 10:58 pm
ok nevermind i thought you ment we need a icence to play music for house parties or something like that i understand why you need a licence for clubs and parties such as sponsored ones but for residents you dont i hope not

Posted Wed 21 Dec 05 @ 12:16 am
56%