Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What would you do if...?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ok, so I get four christmas parties to do at this country club (very posh) in a village a few miles from my home, last Friday and Saturday night and then Friday and Saturday night just there. 'Excellent', says I.

The first 3 were fantastic. Everyone was up for a laugh and I held the dance floor all night. The music was pumping and so were the bodies...you know how the ladeeeeees love to pump...;o)

Anyway, on my last night, there were a few younger guys there. Now, when I say young, I mean probably about the age of 22 or so. So, I'm spinning away and one of these guys comes up to me and asks me to play 'Dancing In The Dark' (DJ Zitkus) and I'm like 'No way, mate. Look at my dancefloor...full!!!' So he begs me to play it and I do...and it's terrible. 'I told you so' i told him.

Anyway, ten minutes later, another of these guys comes up and asks me for it again...and while doing so tries to swipe one of my four back up cd's that I've got sitting on my table/booth/section whatever you want to call it. So I managed to get it back and just made a joke of it and then suddenly realised that one of my cd's HAD actually 'disappeared'!!! So, when I work out what cd has been 'stolen' (turns out it was Now Xmas 2005 - bought especially for the occasions) I made an announcement. 'Could whoever has my Now Xmas cd please bring it back'. I had a rough idea of who had taken it, although you obviously can't say anything without the proof. But low and behold, nobody turned up with my cd.

I was really gutted. It wasn't the fact that my cd had been stolen, it was more the fact that somebody had the utter gall and audacity to actually take something from a guy who was providing a (quality) service. It really put a dampener on my night and for the rest of it I really didn't care what happened. I just played a few more tracks and then shutdown. I didn't even play your normal gig finisher (Runrig - Loch Lomond - a great scottish track!!!!).

So, I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen, what would you have done had you found yourself in this position? Have you found yourself in this position before? If so, what did you do? Was this my fault? Should I not have had a couple of cd's on my table? Was it my stupidity? I do not believe that it was, and feel i should have been able to quite freely leave a couple of cd's out should I have needed them. Like I say, the cd is no big loss, but it's the principal of the matter. There is one thing I would never do in life and that's take away a man's bread and butter. CD's are what we use to make a living, and I don't think people should be going around pinching them for no reason.

I also put it to you that while you don't expect these people to 'borrow' any part of your equipment, you should watch people like a hawk. Keep an eye on everything, especially if you have loads of people approaching you all night. This whole experience has made me very wary of people, and I will, from now on, be very careful......it's just a pity it's one gig too late.

I look forward to receiving your comments, and sorry for the rather extensive post...but you can imagine how I feel.

Cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 12:56 am
Pionara something similar has happened to me although I didn't lose a CD. Instead someone took my tone arm on one of my turntables and moved it across a record making that really great scratch sound (yeah you all know its not good for either the vinyl or needle).

Well needless to say the needle broke and I didn't have a replacement that night.

luckilly I had rented a dual cd deck that night but it still cost me a new needle.

If you want a hint for laying some CDs around make sure they are always near you where you can keep a good eye on them.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 1:49 am
Pionara, enjoyed reading the post. So sorry that crap had to happen. I would have been pissed too, even though I could go home and make another copy. I probably would have done the same. Play a few songs and shut it down.

I like hearing stories about what happened when someone played out last night. I think mp3rick is the king of those, although you can usually find a post from me after every decent gig,.. and sometimes before them :-)

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 1:56 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Pionara,

I do know if you could do this in your country, but I carry only copies of my CD's (when I carry some). Don't let anything that isn't infront of you and that only could be take it from the position you are. Anything that could be taken should be in a safe place or a place that only you could access.

I like to let a wall be behind me and me in front of it. So the people only could come from the front side and not for every side.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 5:28 am
When I used to carry my record crates in and all that stuff I would set up two tables. I had all my top 45's about 100, in a record case that I had made out of wood. This case had a high back and only opened on the front. The albums and 12" records were in milk crates.

The tables were set up in a reverse "L" shape with the lower part of the "L" butting up against a wall and to my right. On this lower part I would place my records.

The upright part of the "L" would face the dance floor. On this I would set up my equipment. I was then facing the dance floor with my back to a wall and the only way people could approach me was from my left. I was between them and my tunes.

I kept at least 8 feet from the dance floor if possible and ALWAYS set up on a stage if there was one. If I could not have a wall to my right I used another table so that the lower part of the "L" was doubled.

I always tried to use 8 foot by 4 foot tables and thus had a big buffer between my tunes and the public.

Regardless, what happened to you should not have happened. I would have went to the people who hired me and told them the situation and let them figure it out.

Guess it matters not how you looked after it, it still ruined your night. For this I am sorry. But just remember, whatever those twits did to you that night it will come back to haunt them. Its called karma. And the longer it takes to come back at them the more interest it builds up and therefore something a lot worse will happen to them.

Lets just hope it was not "Instant Karma" because payback would not have been a good one.

I hope this helps out with your future set ups.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 05 @ 7:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)