Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ's - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

D-O-GHome userMember since 2005
Are there actually DJ's that bring a laptop to a club and mix with Virtual DJ using a mouse? It got me thinking...

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 3:03 am
It does happen...might not look too professional...but it happens.

MS

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 3:06 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
the sound is better than with using the TCVs that way

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 3:11 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
There are so many ways to control virtual dj but mouse is the most unprofessional.
Fortunately everything can mapped to keyboard shortcuts, and if you spend some time to program them you don't need a mouse at all. That's what i do.
In combination with TCV or a good controller you have a very powerfull setup.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 4:06 am
Do you recommend a certain TCV or a controller, because Im new to this and am totally lose unfortunately. hehe

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 5:26 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
People that judge a DJ by how he looks and what he uses is most common, It all depends on what people your around.

Bear in mind that the standard "DJ" is the one who uses vinyl on turntables, that's the image most are used to and that's the image that's most expect, however, useing a laptop and controller or timecode is something new, and like new things it's open to public debate on just how great this new way of DJ'ing really is, some people think it's awsome and believe it to exceed the standard image of a DJ, others believe it's a less than standard way of DJ'ing and somewhat 'geeky', anyone who thinks about it properly will take the more balanced view that neither is better and each have their own advantages over each other and with software supporting more and more hardware (particuarly Turntables and CD decks) it is becoming less of a competition and less threat as both are able to work together, this gives people the feeling that both on their own aren't alien to each other.

Whilst DJ'ing with the inclusion of a computer is becoming more and more accepted it is not worthy of arguement whether it's better than more conventional tools like the turtables, it's simply a matter of personal preference and should be accepted by all as such.

As video is entering more clubs, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a DJ booth without the inclusion of the computer..

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 4:10 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
A good introductory/Low cost set-up would have to be:
Virtual DJ (software)
Hercules DJ Console MK2 (controller)
Hardware Mixer

A more expensive and advanced set-up could add:
2x Turntables
or
2x CD players
or
2x XP10 (controllers)

Or mix and match as you please :), what's important is that you have Virtual DJ, a software controller or timecode, a good soundcard (with enough inputs) and a hardware mixer.

Of course these are set-ups thought up for the proffesional DJ, many users simply use Virtual with a mouse and 4.1 soundcard for pre-listening.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 4:17 pm
TheTurkPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I use Atomix 2.3 mp3 because i cant afford anything and i use it with a mouse i was told that atomix and virtualdj arent that different except the fact that atomix is older but the point is that its all up to the dj and how he uses the programs or turntables or brain or anything

i would actually love to use turntables better than atomix 2.3 and im actually saving up for two turntables but for now i just use my mouse and Atomix mp3 2.3...
and i also get lessons from my cousand .DJ ACE. ( ;

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 1:42 am
Great ideas so far, really great!

Well, I doubt anyone has ever seen a DJ with a laptop and a mouse... A laptop should be acompanied by a controller if you decide to go that route apparantely, so I will check around and see what is right for me in the long run. Thanks for the solid ideas!

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 5:15 am
Looks can be deceiving. I always said that using a mouse to DJ was bullshit. So I stayed away from software. Then the DMC 1 came out. Now I am sold, and have not looked back. I never got the DAC 2, because it did not offer much more, and I knew there was something else coming. While using FX, one of the cue buttons on my DMC 1, malfunctioned. So I started using my mouse, until I could fix it. Well I never got to fix it, and became very good with the mouse. It allowed me to do things, that are only available on the interface. I can out mix most DJ's, that use a controller, because I'm faster, and don't have to think about which 2 buttons I need to push. Now with VDJ, it's the same. There are functions, that are not available on most controllers. Well, I bought a second DMC 1 to use as parts, to fix my first one. Come to find out, I just did some cleaning and they both work find. When the mapping of the DAC 3 becomes available, or a better controller comes out, I will get one. I still use my mouse in conjunction with my DMC 1. My learning experience has prepared me, in case my controller malfunctions again. I will not panic, and the show will go on. If some feel I am unprofessional, that's fine with me.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 6:05 am
Hey i don't yet have a set up myself, but I have been informed that you shouldn't use a cd player and a turntable, because then you are limited to one track from vinyl then one track from cd..

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 11:28 am
I have been a DJ for over 25 years and I have been using a rack mounted computer w/keyboard and mouse. I have been DJing weddings, school dances, clubs, etc. and never once has anyone considered that it was unprofessional. In fact, it has been the opposite with me. I have been booking more gigs since I switch to a computer based system. People are really impressed with my system. What makes a DJ professional, in my opinion, is a clean setup, professional appearance and proper training. If someone thinks that I am unprofessional for not using turntables, cd players, or usb controllers then they should not hire me. My actions speak for me. The dance floor is always packed and I continue to get repeat business year after year.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 05 @ 4:22 am
i want to find the full version of virtual dj but ican not find it in the website virtualdj

Posted Mon 12 Dec 05 @ 5:25 am

Posted Mon 12 Dec 05 @ 9:40 pm
Those are some encouraging words kamakuakane. Glad to hear it.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 05 @ 9:45 pm
does anyone know how i can use my headphones so that i can hear one track through them and the other through my speakers

Posted Mon 12 Dec 05 @ 10:12 pm
Yes, buy the software..

oh and to dj Xeo:

> the sound is better than with using the TCVs that way

Whether you use TCV or not has no influence on the soundquality at all, or at least it should not.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 05 @ 10:34 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
It's incredible...

TCVs are Controllers for VirtualDJ, how the affect the sound quality of a song that it controls? The sound quality is affected by the quality of your actual MP3 or audio or video file, not for TCVs or TCCDs or any other controller.

I think you could get more professional using some controllers to work with VirtualDJ. You could use a Midi Controller (DAC-3, even DJConsole MK2, Uc33...) and a laptop and do a great job, that's the main thing. If you could get the work well done, you are in the game.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 05 @ 11:20 pm
ACW I am ready to put this case to rest using a mic and my webcam to show you exactly how bad TCV can sound. I have done this today with DJ in Norway and Gauge. I showed them certain issues with TCVs and they were even amazed at how bad TCVs were. I know they are not perfect although they definatelly do need some serious corrections. If you want to check it out it would be a pleasure to demonstrate it to another VDJ member.

I am not the only one that complained about it. but if your only mixing (not doing any advanced scratching) the TCVs will sound alright. As soon as you start doing advanced stuff on it you'll run into problems. I know other DJs who have switched from VDJ to better high end software since these issues weren't getting any attention. I am starting to lean that way as well although really enjoy the features VDJ offers.

Look me up on MSN buddy and we can chat about it some more. (or any other VDJ users e-mail is in my blog)

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 5:32 am
KrisPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I play in a pub... I turn up with the laptop (and backup CD's or course) - use a stereo splitter and use the mixer to control the output. I sometimes use a Dac 2 controller - but it's currently not working as ive just installed version 3.2 - not yet had chance to get it all sorted.

Posted Wed 14 Dec 05 @ 5:21 pm
59%