Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Thank God I'm Not Gigging Tonight!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Friday night: Went bed late, turned off laptop, lovely day :).

Saturday Morning: Woke up nice and early, dark/gloomy weather but can't complain.
I religiously switch my laptop on before I open my eyes properly (well not quite that bad),
Laptop fires up as usual (all lights etc), but hey the screens still black!, wait a while, still black.., restart and this screens still not coming on.., Damn!. I take a closer look and so faintly I can see that the screen is on, and windows has fired up.., but so so dark, If I was 20 years older I'd not know theirs a picture.., I somehow fundle my way (in a very dark windows) to set-up a "2nd monitor display" linking my graphics output to a TV scart, good I can now type away whilst looking at the TV to write this message and check my E-mail..

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?, shuts down fine, fires up fine but the screen has somewhere along the line become extremly dull (to the point of not being able see the mouses cursor), I've checked all the contrast, brightness settings, no good. I think its somehow hardware related, as the part that connects the hinges that connect the monitor to the laptop did seem to be making a very quiet 'motor' kinda sound, which has now stopped. Also worth noting is when I first was switching it on I was getting a quick flicker of a good image for a mili second only though.., then extremely dark as it is now.

All I can say is thank God I don't have a gig tonight!.., you never know what might turn up, always have back-up, I shit you not, any computer/laptop can fail on you at anytime, for any reason!.

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 2:22 pm
I can answer that one Bagpuss.

The issue is 1 of 3 possibilities.

1- The backlight is burnt.
2- The High voltage invertor is dead
3- maybe a bad cable or cable connection between the backlight and the invertor

I would recommend either bringing your laptop to a PC shop that repairs laptops or sending it to the manufacturer.

if you want to test out the loose cable just try to play with the LCD panel (moving it back and forth) to see if the backlight turns on at all.

By the way what brand and model is your laptop?

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 3:36 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
That's why i have 2 laptops...
just in case.
Good luck

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 3:49 pm
Thanks for the responses guys! :).

White devil, thanks for that, I'm suspecting the back light has gone, their doesn't seem to be much action when tilting the LCD screen. My laptops is a Packard Bell, I can't find the documentation to tell you the model.

I'll have to find it because I need to check if It's still under warranty, I don't think it is :(, O well I might have to spend my last few bucks on getting it fixed in a shop :(.

Talk about kick a man when he's down!, LOL.

Could you possibily estimate the approximate cost on fixing the various possibilitys?, I might just get a brand new one and throw this one to the side for a while, You see my laptop is basically 2 years old, still they should last much longer than that!.

Cheers for any further assistence ;).

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 4:10 pm
to know the model of your laptop it would be listed as something like.

Packard Bell easynote R4250

for an estimate price.

Backlight replacement : approx 150$
highvoltage invertor : approx 200$
bad LCD cable : 70$

These prices are not 100% accurate due to the fact that certain parts cost quite a lot and others are much cheaper. Certain shops might even just tell you to change the whole LCD in which case I'd tell ya to buy another laptop since LCD panels alone are approx 400$.

Oh and another suggestion for you!! Very important information here.

If you bring your laptop to a shop to get it fixed and they tell you the problem is with one of the parts. Make sure you ask them if they have a spare working part to replace it in the store or if they have to order it.

If they DO NOT have a spare part!! They didn't properly troubleshoot to know exactly what the problem is. Reason why I say this is because you need the exact model of the part in order to test the back light or high voltage invertor. its not like a PC where you can say you need a PCI card. PCI fits into ANY PCI slot. laptops are model specific parts.

PS: Yeah some parts can be found in different makes and models and are swappable between the laptops. However if they have to order a part its because they don't honestly know which part is really defective. they might get you to pay for an invertor but the issue is really with the backlight.

and BEWARE of the sloppy cheap jobs. A high price normally means a good fix but not always. I would recommend sending it back to Packard Bell so that they can really fix it using the right parts although they will charge the fee if its not under warranty.

Here is the Packard Bell support page

http://www.packardbell.com/support/

Best of luck buddy

DJ White Devil

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 4:40 pm
Excellent advice

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 5:43 pm
Yea thanks a lot for that White Devil (I hate calling you that, LOL).

I feel robbed with this laptop
original cost: £800
cost + repairs + interest: £1400
Current value as new: £500

One of the best things you could have :), but I've sure paid more than my due on it.

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 5:54 pm
Well most laptops are rip offs. (sorry to say that but its true)

1- upgrades are expensive
2- rattle them too much and you might break something inside
3- if you drop them or accidentally hit the LCD you need to replace it
4- a laptop isn't cheap either hehe

Well Laptops are great for the portability and is definatelly convinient to have + it looks clean.

Best laptops I've seen available on the market are the following brands

IBM, Panasonic (used in the military and police force) and Toshiba.

Panasonic laptops are very expensive but are built to last!!! I have seen some with steel casings, waterproof seals, etc. I mean these things can work in the worst weather conditions and still have no problems.

IBMs: built solidly and quite reliable (not as much as the Panasonic) but again they can cost a good bundle too. great over the phone tech support

Toshiba: Best bang for your buck. Reliable, efficient and great tech support if you ever need any.

Brands to stay far away from:

HP, Compaq, no name laptops, ECS,

there are so many companies that make laptops today so I can't list them all however I'll name some average systems that are not the greatest but much better then the crap I listed above ;)

Dell, Acer

Each laptop model have their own issues and seems to follow in each one. Even certain IBM laptops have their issues and some aren't pretty.

Hope this helps all potential laptop owners and buyers.

Oh and Bren (or anyone else for that matter)
If you don't like calling me by my DJ name then call me Andre (not to be mistaken with DJ Andre Landry however he does live near me) or WD for short.

Posted Sat 19 Nov 05 @ 8:33 pm
yes we use panasonic laptops over here. they have rubber keyboards and water tight plugs for all the connections. touchscreen with a stylus. screens can lock when folded down. have carrying handles (that break your flashdrive in half if your not careful hehe) but i have personally dropped one off of my tank (a good 14 feet) and nothing happened to it. i know if i dropped my laptop 14 feet i would have 14 pieces to pick up lol

Posted Sun 20 Nov 05 @ 7:41 am
Hy folks!
i use a shuttle xpc instead of a laptop!cheaper stronger better:-)

Posted Sun 20 Nov 05 @ 4:08 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Bagpuss, Sorry to hear about your laptop issue. I had the same thing happen to an Acer tablet PC not long ago and I tired replacing the backlight myself. Well apparently that wasn't the problem so I tried doing the invertor, but by this point I had taken the screenapart too many times and apparently broke something because now the faint lcd image deosn't even show up, just some lines. Neddless to say, that tablet is no longer my primary machine, though it does work well sitting on the side running just R4 through the external video jack, and accessed only through the network.

If you want an unbreakable laptop, then I would agree that you should go with the Panasonic Toughbook, if you can afford it... I can't. I did buy an HP Rugged which is similar to the Toughbook but with slightly better performance, but it wasn't worth the money either so I sold it. I now have an HP ZD8xxx and it has been great, though I would never want to drop it on the floor.

Good Luck,
-the other other Brendan

Posted Mon 21 Nov 05 @ 7:30 pm
with the HP and compaq laptops

BEWARE!!!!!! near end of warranty (sometimes before if your lucky but mostly after)

The hinges will get lose and the screen won't stay in tact. HPs have bad invertors and compaq have bad hinges.

I don't want to scare any one off and I know they are made by the same company although these are issues I have seen first hand fixing them. Some customers have nothing but good to say about compaq and HP laptops and I can agree that they do have some models that are great. However they have a large majority of models with issues which seem to always relate to the LCD.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 21 Nov 05 @ 9:55 pm
Bagpuss, this is why I have two laptops. They fail! Same as hard drives, they fail too. I just hope I never have a failure, during a performance. Even worse, I usually leave my spares in the Truck during a gig, so if I did have a failure, there is gonna be silence for a while.

My guess on your laptop is a burned out backlight. A pain indeed.

Posted Mon 21 Nov 05 @ 10:52 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks WD/Andre. I have a Compaq..probably on the shit list since it was a cheaper model R3000. I'll be a little more careful when I slam it shut at the end of gig. Although I enjoyed the feeling of completion :)

Posted Tue 22 Nov 05 @ 12:00 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)