Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Skipping on my new system. I want to go back to my laptop - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I am getting skipping on my new system now. Was very strange. Once every four minutes almost to a tee. I first tried every tweek in the book. Nothing. I then looked for an irq conflict. My M410 delta was being shared. OK. Switch the video and sound card. Now the M410 is on its own IRQ great. Still skipped! Crap I thought I fixed it and it just skipped again.... well. i went through more tests, defrags, ect. still skipped. turned off firewall, norton, still skipped. Moved reactivity to medium. Again, thought audio was better and just heard a skip on automix. Well I write down the time 11:59 and playing music videos. I'll keep going nuts here. My laptop did not do this. Wait just loaded another song by no skip. I am watching oldies videos on a headphone so I can really hear the skip. 12:02. There was a light skip. Anyone have any ideas? I am going nuts. I disabled my other laptop and system and built this and have a mitzvah Saturday. CPU usage running at 4% with videos. Thanks...

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 6:03 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
looking for a network connection perhaps?

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 6:06 am
I tried to disable all network connections. Had a wireless modem on it disabled it also.

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 6:10 am
Cyder, what do you have your performace options set to.

Reactivity? i just moved back to fast.
Performance - adjust to best performance
Processor scheduling - mine is background service as per the advise of my soundcard
Memory usage - system cache
and maybe important - Virtual memory ? C: I am set to custom sice Initial 3072, maximum 3072
I disable any internet out there and disabled my onboard soundcard.

My delta soundcard is set to 1024 DMA buffer size. Multitrack driver to independant codec sample rate fo 44,100, digital output format to consumer.. and have the newest driver.

I think that is all.

Thank you again for any help you can lend.

Bob

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 6:25 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Vatinedj,

Virtual Memory is very high... this will slow down your computer for sure... If you have 1GB of RAM try 512 in low and 1576 in High. I think you Reactivity must be in Medium. If you have a notebook set the Energy Options (in the Control PAnel) for "Desktop or Office use" and NOT for notebook or laptop use.

You have to tune your system properly. Erase all Temp files (all that the system allow you for erase from C:\\Documents and Settings\\"Your Windows user"\\Local Configuration\\Temp and C:\\Windows\\Temp) and also erase the cache files of your internet explorer. Also change the amount of memory (cache) used by Internet Explorer to 50MB.

After doing the changes, restart and defrag your drives... If you have a partition without music, use it to be the Virtual Memory drive and let C without a pagefile in it.

Good Luck!

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 8:16 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Yeah, virtual mem is to high, try with "Windows managed" or fix it (if you have 512Mb, put it on 700Mb both values, start and end).

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 9:33 am
Thanks. I'll try it tonight. Oh by the way. 2 gig of RAM. AMD 3000 64 bit system. So the power is there.

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 1:41 pm
seems better so far. thank you.

Posted Fri 04 Nov 05 @ 5:55 am
I'd almost suspect there is a bios update or chipset update for your motherboard. About the ram did you verify the spd in the bios correctly set the ram timing?

Posted Fri 04 Nov 05 @ 6:37 am
Hi Cyder,

Just to make sure. The bios is updated and the chipset is said to be updated when I bought the computer two months ago by Les. So I am giong to assume that is ok. I did not set the ram timing. And I do notice that when the system goes through the memory test it specifies I have DDR330 in there when there are four sticks of DDR400 SDRAM (4 stick of 512). The memory test is rec all 2 gig though and the motherboard says D400 is compatable Is there a setting in the bios to correct this and would this affect the system?

Posted Fri 04 Nov 05 @ 8:01 pm
Hi Cyder,

Just to make sure. The bios is updated and the chipset is said to be updated when I bought the computer two months ago by Les. So I am giong to assume that is ok. I did not set the ram timing. And I do notice that when the system goes through the memory test it specifies I have DDR330 in there when there are four sticks of DDR400 SDRAM (4 stick of 512). The memory test is rec all 2 gig though and the motherboard says D400 is compatable Is there a setting in the bios to correct this and would this affect the system?

Posted Fri 04 Nov 05 @ 8:01 pm
Nothing worked. I now have reactivity to medium and it should get me though tomorrow.

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 2:45 am
OK. Check This Out:

Here are conflicts that I have:

I/O Port OxOOOOOOOO-Ox-00000CF7 PCI Bus
I/O Port OxOOOOOOOO-Ox-00000CF7 Direct Memory Access Controller

Memory Address OxOOOO-OxOFFF Motherboard resources[
Memory Address OxOOOO-OxOFFF System Board

IRQ 21 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 21 Radeon 9200 Series
IRQ 21 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

IRQ 19 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 19 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Memory Address OxAOOOO-OxBFFF PCI Bus
Memory Address OxAOOOO-OxBFFF Radeon 9200 Series

And my IRQ's read this:

IRQ 0 System Timer
IRQ 4 Communications Port (Com 1)
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disc contoller
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel
IRQ 15 Secondary OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 19 Standard OpenHCD PCI to USB Host Controller
IRQ 21 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 21 Radeon 9200 Series
IRQ 21 VIA OHCI COmpliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IRQ 21 22 M Audio Delta 410

All statuses are OK..

Anyone have any ideas here. Why maybe:

A: There are so many conflicts. I don't have that much installed. A mouse, Dac-2, Delta Soundard, Video Card, And the standar stuff.

B: Why are so many IRQ's missing and could the conflicts listed contribute to my issue.

C: Is there anyone out there without conflict? is there supposed to be none listed here?

Thank you again everyone for the help. I spent almost $4k on this system. It looks cool, but if the sound quality is not there I threw it away. Even with medium I get skips now. Just not as frequent. I'll cross my fingers tomorrow and continue to work. This is just very frusterating. I look on the net and find nothing that I haven't tried.

Thank you all...

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 3:27 am
Correction - the M-Audio Delta is on it's own IRQ #22 not shared on #21...

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 3:55 am
Microsoft ACPI is almost a heart in the system.. .controlling a LOT of things, managing stuff...

not sure its good that it share IRQ with grahic (video) card.... might get into trouble there

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 4:22 am
try updating codecs..

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 6:02 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
@vantinedj
Is it better now when you fixed the swap file? Try to turn it off, you have a lot of ram! Are all 4 of your modules the same? There may be a problem if in the bios timing setting is "By Spd" which means that bios will read the speed of the module from its firmware or something. Try setting your memory to lowest (266Mhz) and see what happens. Also, try with only one (or two, if you have two of them the same) module to see are there any improvements. Sometimes different modules are bad together! Hope this helps...

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 10:15 am
Did not fix the problem by turning off the swap. The reason I added more ram is because it did this so it skipped with 1 gig and still with 2 gig. Now it doesn't skip all the time. Before it was once every four minutes to a tee. I disable anything internet to make sure there was no skips any they were back. I think it has to do with the ram. Now I am noticing when I load songs it is more likely to skip and it is slight, like a 1/8-1/2 second cut in the song but you can hear it especially amplied. I had a skip problem once on one notebook and it ended up being the wireless connection looking for a connection. Disable it and no more skips. This is just perplexing me. I am going to try to install the new video card. Once again rearrange the card slots, of which I only have three and cross my fingers. Can someone give me a step by step in setting the ram timing? I realy would appreciate it. No idea how to do that. Thanks...

... On a side note, the system has come together realy cool. Once this glitch is fixed I fell I am going to have one hell of a system.

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 6:50 pm
Tell me what bios you have (you see it on the splash) I'll do a step by step, I wouldn't lower your ram timing, the problem my be with ram but I don't think slowing it down will fix it. so give us

the make of the ram and any numbers you may see on the chips

the maker of the bios and bios revision number

the maker of the motherboad and model

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 8:02 pm
Thank you o much Cyder. I'll post it tomorrow night. I going to a gig to give it a shot. It's a mitzvah so the kids won't notice. Or I'll go to CD.

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 9:44 pm
49%