bios 7093ams 030305 v3.3 Phoenix Technologies LTD6.00pg
smbios - 2.4

os - xp prof 5.12600 ser v pack 2 build 2600

proc - x86 family 15 model 31 stepping 0 authenticamd 1799mhz AMD64 Athalon

Board - ATI MSI - RS480/RX480 Chipset Based

Ram - 2 512 stick of kingston kvr400x64 and 2 512 sticks of vs512mb400

Remember skipping occurred before I added the adition ram

Now.....

I went to put in the video card. It looked like it would fit the socket but the spacing was off. Did not fit. So I first said crap! Then looked at the requirements, agp 2.0 or higher compliant motherboard. (Some motherboards violate the AGP specification and therefore this card may not physically fit in some systems.) Won't fit in mine as is. Would not line up with the slot.

OK. So I said let me at least reswitch the cards around.

I have 3 slots.

I put nothing in the top slot. The Video Card in the second slot and the sound card in the third. VIOLLAH! (Or how do you spell that, oh well..)

I am now 11 music videos in without a skip. The PCI bus and the Radeon 9200 still show a memory conflict but the IRQ now moved. IRQ 20 is now the soundcard by itself and 22 is the Radeon 9200 by itself.

I do however have to continue to run in medium colors mode or the card slows the program down. I will need to return this card. 2nd return. I am now running VDJ in fast mode.

Q1

1. What card do you think I need. This is the exact card that is in there.

ATI Radeon 9250 with AGP universal bus
I think it is this one...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102522

What can I put in there to give me the benefit of a better video card that will fit without disassempling the entire computer. I only have a 2 space case so everything is tight in there. It is running very cool though. Less did a great job there.

Q2

Should I still look at the RAM timing? 15 videos in and not 1 skip. Maybe it was just a bad IRQ conflict. I will keep looking out though. Connect the internet and see what happens.

18 in still not 1 skip...

Thanks again Cyder or whoever is responding. You guys are really great!

Bob

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 1:46 am
BTW - another 20+ songs, videos, karaoke, and music even with plugins going. I did not hear a skip. I just opened the internet connection.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 2:19 am
ok still no skipping. so it looks good. I'm on the net on the dj computer now. I copied everything I could.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name OWNER-TK53TWJRU
System Manufacturer RS480_
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 31 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1799 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 3/3/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name OWNER-TK53TWJRU\Owner
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.41 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.35 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

If this helps..

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 2:23 am
ok. so I'm playing beautifully. videos, music, karaoke for hours. no issues. no skips. I even moved my color to high color and put the vdj on fast reactivity. no issues. just played great. then it happened. played a video. hit several buttons. clicked on the suggestions box and a crash. i never crash vdj. I click recover. computer goes all wierd on me but recovers. Now the algorhtytms are choppy and my computer is user three times the resources. I fugure. ok maybe i need to restart the computer. Nope. VDJ just on was using over 50% of the resources with nothing even load. Load something it spiked to 50%. Error in the video driver. I tried reinstalling vdj. Same issue. I now had to reinstall all of the ati driers i just installed. I am hoping this works. Man am I having bad luck. It was like I could not get the hardware accelerator to work.

Conclusion - Reinstalling the drivers did not work. With VDJ on it is using 85% of resources. This SUCKS!

So I go back to medium colors on the video card and we are ok again. Whatever....

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 4:28 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
vantine,

why are you still trying to use that video you know doesn't perform well? The video card is the heart of your problem, adding ram updating bios will do nothing to help you. The video card is the problem as i've said from the start.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 5:47 am
Cyder,

I know. I want to change it. They keep not fitting. Read a couple of posts back. I know I typed a lot but wanted to explain everything. The second video card that you reccomended also did not fit. I need an AGP 2.0 compliant board which Les didn't put in there. I names the card that is now in there so maybe you can help me find one that will fit without reconfiguring the whole thing. I really think it's this card which Les was so high on also. It really stinks.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 6:05 am
ah the truth comes out

a 2u case, the problem here is that the 6600 eats the pci slot next to which you need how far is it off? can you take a picture of it? Do you know for a fact that its not agp 2.0 compliant? seems to me this could be solved by using a differnt card riser. Maybe contact les and tell him your situation he may have the answer for you.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 6:41 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Hey Vantine!
Ati is a crap video, use Nvidia! And you must know, all good video cards are big! I have MSI Nvidia FX5900sp-vtd 128Mb and it is very BIG!
I suggest you to take 6600 or 6600Gt from Nvidia and your system will FLY! :)
Ati always have issues with drivers and a lot of bugs. Alot games won't play on it, or brakes textures and that's all because of a crappy drivers.
Hope this helps! And lower that virtual memory man, you have 2Gb Ram! :))

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 7:20 am
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
I've got a 2U case with a riser which accomodates 1 AGP + 2 PCI cards.
The AGP 8X eVGA e-GeForce 6600 GT I just installed works great!
One of the PCI slots contains the ESI Waveterminal 192X sound card.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 7:23 am
I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it in my blog. I really wish I knew more. I thought it would not be compliant becuase the card would not fit but I could be wrong. There is also PCI express slot in there. I see it now without any riser in it. However, there looks to be no way for it to be utilized without removing te other riser. Tom, can you email a link of what you have. Thanks again...

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 1:59 pm
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Burp.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 11:25 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
hows everythign else running on it? on this computer i used to have VDJ installed with my asio card and TCV and it had no end of problems running VDJ but fine with EVERYTHING else. got a brand new computer and put the asio card in that one instead and it works totaly amazing even in VDJ lol. solution is dont try and get VDJ to work on your system get a system that works with VDJ lol

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 1:24 am
Thanks Tom. I just posted pictures of my computer's inerts on my blogs. Thanks for the info. I'll wait for Cyder for advise... But what you gave me is great. It has to be that video card.

OK Cyder... They are up there. I again thank you so much for this help. When I bought this my newborn son was sick or I would have put this together sooner. He is much better now.

BTW... No more skipping since I switched the slots around. So that is good! And when the system crashed it fragmented a lot of files on the C drive. I defraged everything and it seems ok again.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 1:46 am
So I figured out it is just straight PCI that has a riser in it. Ouch.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 5:11 am
And the instruction booklet for the video card I got from les references a AGP universal bus card compliant system so I assumed wrong. I never knew the difference. I think I need to get to that pci express slot. I am starting to see why Les pushed that ATI as a great card.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 5:31 am
Vantine, the solution for you is this

from here
Found better way :)

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 5:55 am
Boy, a crash course. After really reading I thougt you were going to say that. I might just order the parts and have someone install it for me. Then go back to the 6600GT. I might wait until January though when I have like no jobs.... No video jobs are coming till next year and the skipping is gone. I really can't thank you enough. I'm sorry I didn't give you the correct terms.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 6:03 am
Thanks again Cyder. I say the correction. This looks great. I am however reading this:

http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SC&Category_Code=1U%2F2U+Riser

Note: 5th window vs 6th window; If your 2U case has 3-horizontal slots like the upper slot in the picture, the rear window is 6th window. If your 2U case has 3-horizontal slots like the bottom slot in the picture, your case has a 5th rear window!

Our 1U/2U riser cards are based on 6th rear window!

If you look at the picture of my case I think I have a 5th rear window? What are your thought... Maybe I should email the company and see what they think...

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 6:29 am
looks the the 6th postion to me however your picture its hard to tell, I would suggest contacting sever case to ask them.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 6:35 am
98%