Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Numark HDX midi to control VDJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all,

Just curious... I had a look at the numark hdx and noticed it had the midi in/out options. Does that mean you can program it to perform various function in vdj?

Posted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 9:48 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
In theory yes, you can use it with Virtual as a controller, but you need to program all the funtions manually.

Maybe other VDJ user could let us know more about it.

Posted Wed 02 Nov 05 @ 10:21 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I think that Numark HDX is not out yet or is it? Pretty nasty machine, I think it will be the best cd player!

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 9:46 am
As far as being the best I might argue on that one. its the same as the CDX but with an onboard laptop HDD.

the HDD on the HDX is only 40GB! there's no way you can connect an external HDD and use that one instead. I'm sure many of us have over 60GB of music!

2nd issue I see is having a limit of the size of the HDD. technology will keep going forward and bigger hard drives will keep getting developped so in 3 years from now you would have to buy a new HDX to put a larger HDD in??

laptop hard drives are so pricy its not funny.

The CDX model apparently overheats so what will this cause the HDX to do with extra heat?

just some thoughts to keep in mind. They are really nice players no doubt but I don't have much faith in Numark after buying 2 TTx TTs

Their after sales service really sucks.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 5:03 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
" 2nd issue I see is having a limit of the size of the HDD"

I read somewhere that you can change HD's on the HDX. In theory, this allows DJ's (playing at a club equipped with CDX'x) to show up with simply a HD and headphones. Also, these units can be connected so that you can share hard drive(s)... this allows you to play the same song on both units even if it's available on only one drive.

Posted Thu 03 Nov 05 @ 9:44 pm
the unit has usb 2.0 ports. Why would you not be able to hook and external how ever big had drive.

Posted Fri 04 Nov 05 @ 1:09 pm
I've seen the hdx on the Plasa show in London and had a good chat with one of the Numark guys.

The hard drive is 80GB. It is a 2.5 Inch model (like used in laptops). the drive is replacable, it has to be mounted in the special case before sliding it into the hdx. These cases will be sold separate also.

There is only 1 usb port, which could be used to attach the hdx to your computer. Your pc will "see" the hdx like an external usb harddrive. Using this connection you are able to copy mp3's to the harddrive of the hdx and to manage playlists. You could not use this usb port to connect an external harddrive.

The hdx has midi in and out. All buttons will generate a midi signal. But the Numark could't said if a sort of clock signal (with rotation speed and ditrection) is sended. So you could control vdj with the buttons of the hdx, but if the platter will work has to be found out if the player is available.

There was a heat problem with the cdx players, but the Numark guy said that it is being solved with the hdx player (and also in the current sold cdx units).

It is a nice player, but rather expensive. In my opinion the player is too large and heavy. I prefere a Denon 3500 or Pioneer cdj1000

Ewout

Posted Fri 04 Nov 05 @ 8:04 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
yeah i was going to add it might be possible to swap that Hard drive out for a larger one.

Posted Fri 04 Nov 05 @ 9:25 pm

The real problem with 2.5" HD disks (like use in a laptop) are that they are allways more expensive and with less capacity and speed than a 3.5" Hard Disk (desktop use and external drives). Is better (in my personal point of view) to use and external Hard Drive (or internal Serial ATA better) to get more than 300GB at 7200 RPM or more.

Personally, I think the best CD-Player will be the one which play CD's, DVD's, MP3 and is a midi controller too. For us is better hardware that lets us control what we already have in our hard disks.

Everyone are trying to "guess" what is the future and best sale products of the DJ market, I hope someone could see us and give us a nice CD-Player with FULL midi Controller.

In the meantime my vote is for Dennon 3500.

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 4:27 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
the HDX is going to be, without a shadow of a doubt, the best way to play music in 2006.

The speed of the hard drive is going to make bugger all difference because the NTFS TOC of laptop drives are cached in solid state memory anyway and as for streaming speed its perfectly adequite for playing an mp3 or even a WAV file off the disk.

The reason mp3 players, laptops and now the HDX use 2.5 inch drives is because they have been developed for the physical conditions of road use and travel. 3.5 inch computer HDDs are for use in stationary computers, they have nothing like the g force resistance and durbility of a 2.5 inch drive. if numark gave people a massive SATA RAID array in a large black box and charged them accordingly rather than giving them a sleek durable caddy, no one would buy it at all.

Posted Sat 05 Nov 05 @ 5:31 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is this really going to be released soon? I have been looking at it since 2003 when it original release date was 'early 2004.' I even spoke with Numark's engineers at a demo in April 2004 (for some of their other then new developments) and they literally had no comment on the HDX and led me to believe that it might never be released.
My guess is that it kept getting pushed back in order to catch up with technological advancements, (no 80GB hard drive back then and not upgradeable.) I'm sure they also had their share of bugs to work out as well, being that this would have been the first of its kind. Hopefully everything is all worked out by now, but I personally have long since moved on since my dreams of using the HDX, and have upgraded to VirtualDJ. I'm actually grateful to Numark for not releasing the HDX on time or else I would have bought that on my way to my current setup. Same goes for their DVD-01.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 7:35 pm
@frd1963:
I think you are mentioning another player from Numark: HDCD1. This unit was first introduced in 2004. But only is available from September 2005. This is a 19Inch player with a (non replacable) builtin harddrive of 40G. Look on the website of Numark for more info.

We are now discussing the Numark HDX which is a CDX with builin swappable 80G drive. This unit was presented at Plasa 2005. See also the Numark site for more info. The Numark rep said that teh unit will be released in December 2005. If they gonna make it, I don't know.

Ewout

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 9:49 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
have you seen the video on it?
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2351

if its there are they are using it then its in production. what are the chances that they invested all that time into it as you see there a fully finnished production version without the tell tale wires hanging out and gaffa tape that betrays a one off prototype. looks like they will be making it for sure.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 1:58 am
pejo71Home userMember since 2005
I THINK 40GB IN NUMARK CD-PLAYER IS PLANTY OF SPACE.IM DJ FER ALMOST 18YEARS AND I NEVER PLAY MORE AS 250SONGS IN ONE NIGHT.SO HOW MUSH PLACE DO YOU NEED ON HARD DRIVE FOR 250MP3 S.I THINK 40GB IS LOT OF SPACE.

Posted Wed 09 Nov 05 @ 6:21 pm
40Gigs is a lot of space, However when doing a wedding or all night requests its always good to bring everything you have!!!

I currently have a 300GB HDD which has tons of music and no video although if I would start mixing videos I'd need more HDDs like this.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 09 Nov 05 @ 6:25 pm
I agree with dj white DVL in case you do wedding and stuf like that, but for two or three hours sessions is 40gb enough.
Good mix!

Posted Wed 09 Nov 05 @ 6:59 pm
I have had a really bad experience with Numark this year and wouldn't trust them for even a 20$ set of headphones!

I ordered my 2 TTxs way back in January paid in full. Finally received both identical models, same generation 2 weeks ago but got to bring the new one back since the damn motor doesn't turn.

Everytime I ordered something from Numark it was always on back order although they were always rushed for the cash! after sales service I wouldn't recommend any numark products after dealing with them.

I don't consider waiting nearly 1 year to get 2 turntables and getting your order messed up royally and treating a customer like crap. I used to stand strongly by their products (mixers and CD decks) now I wouldn't even recommend their cheapest set of headphones.

If any of you want greater details hit me up on MSN and I'll explain in details.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 09 Nov 05 @ 10:31 pm
I agree with DJWHITEDVL about Numark.I recomend Pioneer or Denon.And here is problem again.Pioneers are better for work but Denon is realy a working horse.But this are mine expirience.Numark is inovativ but always is qualyti step back from Pioneer and Denon.

GOOD MIX!

Posted Thu 10 Nov 05 @ 2:06 pm

For me the HDX isn't atractive with a Hard Disk in it. My music and videos will not fit in that players ever. I had 2 250GB Sata HDs for music and video only + 160GB for other things. The highest available HD in 2.5" is 160GB and cost a fortune (I better use my cash to buy a 500GB S-ATA Disk).

If I already use a PC 2 smaller HD with this players aren't better. But the midi controller could be.

Posted Thu 10 Nov 05 @ 6:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)