Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best CD Player!! (poll) - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Please state here what CD player you consider to be the best and why!.

My Top 3:
Pioneer CDJ1000 - Great look, nicely laid out buttons, nice jog wheel and perfect scratch sound, lacks onboard effects and rotating platter (for those who favour them).

Technics SLDZ1200 - Argueably The best looking CD player on the market If 'class' is your thing, amazing rotating platter, great looping buttons, no onboard effects and known for it's minor faults.

Dennon DNS3500 - Looks funky, rotating platter, logical layout, 7 onboard effects, possibly the best all round CD player on the market, nice lights too!.

Bagpuss.

Posted Sun 16 Oct 05 @ 7:13 pm
1: Denon 3500
Pro: Direct drive platter, lots of functionality, like effects, samplers, hot starts etc. Very nice feeling and not that big
Con: -

2: Pioneer CDJ 1000
Pro: Very nice player. Works like a charm.
Con: Only basic functionality

3: Numark Cdx
Pro: 12 Inch platter, direct drive nice player.
Con: I don't like the "block" with the Cue and stutter button on. Large and heavy

4: Denon 1000 (own 2 of them)
Pro: Small player lots of functionality.
Con: No spinning platter

I hope that Denon or Pioneer will bring up a player with hard drive support. This would fast become my favourite player. This could also be the case for the Numark CDN.

Ewout

Posted Sun 16 Oct 05 @ 10:18 pm
Since this is a poll, I vote for the CDJ1000. Although I do not own them, I own DZ1200s.

As a side note, there is a 2.3 firmware update for the DZ1200 which fixes some of the issues, most notably the "digital" scratch sound when pitchlock is enabled. I'll be loading the new firmware tonight and trying it out.

Posted Sun 16 Oct 05 @ 11:49 pm
My Official number one vote is the (drum roll) Denon DNS3500.

I love these things, they look amazing, one slight problem, they cost £700 EACH!!, I was initially planning on getting 2 units for a simular price, but then I don't like half measures, especially as they are new they would definately give me a local edge If got a couple of these things, how do I justify the cost?, well I'm looking at it this way, buy them from a site that offers finance such as djdeals.co.uk, pay less than £80 a month for 24 months, add music and transport costs and that's roughly a total cost of £120-£150 a month, I figure I can make this sort of cash in 2-3 nights of DJ'ing, plus maybe even offer video at an extra cost.., Yes I'm planning on getting busy when I get back to England (this month), I need to exercise them skills :).

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 2:42 am
Concerns:
Cost of new soundcard.
Cost of new Laptop RAM.
Lack of full CD player functionality with timecoded CD.

These Are what I consider the draw backs, but You've gotta spend money to make money, and I hope the timcoded CD support will improve If that's possible.

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 2:48 am
I have the Denon DN-S5000's and the TCCD's work awesome. I have the DN-S3500's on order.. But my vote is DENON ALL THE WAY !!

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 3:30 am
Numark CDN 88! It's a work horse!

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 5:14 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Whats the advantages of the denon 3500 over the 3000 model besides the effects?

Can someone explain what seamless looping is? I presume it means it corrects the loop in and out cue points according to the bpm so its a perfect loop?

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 5:19 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I personally got to test drive a 3500 at the computer dj summit, this machine is totally awesome and the tccd's work like a charm :)

My favortie feature

dual cuing mode

means you can change the cue mode to work like the cdj's or like standard denon's :)

oh at the custom made from the ground up platter/direct drive system is great.

It has a a 60 gig hard drive for storing a bunch (don't remember how many) of cd specific cue points, not to mention you can teach them (via serial connection) to remember cues for each deck.

Very weill done Denon....

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 5:28 am
Numark CDN88

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 7:20 am
The scratching sounds very close to vinyl with the Pioneer CDJ 1000. However, if you want the feel of using a turntable and the latest technology, then Denon is the way to go.

OO

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 8:11 am
Hold on just a minute here. I hadn't heard all this cool stuff about the new Denons since they are, well, new. I've been reading about them a bit and now I want to test drive them.

Bagpuss, I know what you mean about needing to justify the purchase. I started accumulation equipment a few months back and I wasn't sure if I would recoup the cost or how long it would take. Well I can proudly say that the summer has been very good and my initial investment has been recouped. It also helped that the Anaheim Angels making it deep into the post season helped, since I am the resident DJ for the Angels postgame parties.

I started accumulating equipment around December of 2004 and I think I am near break-even now. That is:

Dell laptop
(2) LaCie 250 USB Hard drives (1 for backup)
(2) Denon DNX-100 Mixers (1 for backup)
(2) XP10
(2) JBL EON15
(2) JBL 18" subs
(2) SL-DZ1200
(2) speaker stands for JBL
(2) Keyboard stands (1 triple tier)
(1) Coffin from prodjcase.com
(2) Odessey cases for DZ1200 (used until coffin from prodjcase.com was done, takes forever)
(1) Odessey case for DNX-100
(1) Odessey case holds 2 xp10 and 1 LaCie hard drive

So, I've got all that stuff and I've nearly made enough money DJing to pay for it all. the break even point is coming soon,.. then maybe I can actually *make* some money.

I know what you mean though, you gotta see a way to make it all back once you spend the money....

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 8:18 am
@Cyder

The DN-S3500 stores up to 5,000 cue points that can be shared with other Denon CD players!

OO

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 9:55 am
I prefer the Pioneer 800, the loop function works perfect and the auto bpm is very accurate, and it's cheaper than the 1000 model!

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 12:22 pm
I'm just thinking, The Effects on this thing, you have some assigned to the platter like brake and reverse, and then filters, flanger etc, do the platter effects work with the timecode?..

I remember a DJ that uses Abletion live and pioneer CDJ1000's at his gigs, He said something like "the best buzz for a pilote is flying that plan manually, doing loop da loops, and feeling that power, but just think, when auto pilots on, you can have a lot more fun in the cockpit".

It's true, even if the CD players don't function fully with the timecoded CD's, Virtual DJ will.., and when you've played with VDJ for an hour, you can give your laptop a break and start spinning CD's for half an hour, the point is that the combination and alternation of the two is the best thing since sliced bread,as both have their own advantages over each other.

VDJ makes it easier to do live remixes and beat mix faster, leaving more time for 'fun', with the CD players you gonna have better scratch, better effects, and that buzz you get from manual mixing :).

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 3:09 pm
When will someone make an all in one? CD/MP3 controller with a soundcard installed. This way we won't need both. Only one controller and one deck. Throw DVD's in it with video out's. The ultimate in controllers. Kinda like that all in one remotre for the tv/vcr/dvd/home theater/ ya know...

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 7:50 pm
one you can always wait for is the Numark HDX which will still have the 12" vinyl that will play VDs but will also have a hard drive to store your MP3s

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 9:40 pm
Bagpuss,
well said in your last post. I tested the 3500s at Plasa this year and I was amazed. They are very good. You could also switch off the spinning platter so it will work like a cdj1000! Some of the effects will work with tccd, like break and drag-s, maybe reverse. Some others will not work like flanger and filter.

@l rids
The Denon 3000's are replaced by the 3500's. It would be hard to find some 3000's I think. The 3000 has a belt drive platter. The 3500 has a direct drive platter and feels much more stable. The 3500 also has some effects the 3000 doesn't have.
Seamless loop, means that you could create a loop, where you won't hear the laser go back from the end of the loop to the beginning. It is not correct that the loop is created for you like an 8 beat loop in vdj. You will have to push the button on the correct time yourself. After you have set the loop, you could move the end point on frame level (72 frames is one second).
Ewout

Posted Mon 17 Oct 05 @ 11:48 pm
Cheers Superstorm,
These players are definately amoung the best!, If not the best (IMO), skinners!, you heard it here first, the Denon DNS3500, the best job you can do please!! :).

Posted Tue 18 Oct 05 @ 12:06 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Denon S5000 and S3500 for me too (my favorites)
Like Vantinedj, i have the same idea in my mind.
Imagine a twin cd player where the remote control has a usb/midi output too and a 4out soundcard built-in, and can work as normal cd-player and/or as rack-mount (midi) controller for dj software...
Am i dreaming ?
Denon, Numark, Pioneer, Techinics, Behringer are you reading ? -)

Posted Tue 18 Oct 05 @ 3:26 am
61%