Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Took my Technics SL-DZ1200 back to the store

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

After using the Technics SL-DZ1200 for 30 days and being not completely satisfied I returned it to the store for a refund. Only to find out I was one of 10 people who did the same thing that month.

It's a beautiful device and it's such an easy switch from record to CD, but the unit has trouble doing most of the features it promises. It craps out on MP3 files (even properly encoded MP3 files). There was a list of stuff that bothered me about the unit, so instead of dealing with buyers remorse, i took it back for a refund.

For fun I went and picked up the Hercules DJ Console and despite it's small size and sensitive Jog Dials it's pretty darn cool. I installed the latest version HDJC Drivers and upgraded the firmware. I am not experiencing the delay in starting a song, nor am I having trouble with my mixes going out of sync.

It may be because I do not have the jog dials set to scratch, and I also do not keep beat sync on all the time I manually correct the beat if needed.

Here's a pic of my desk on the SL-DZ1200's last night of testing.

bye bye

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 8:09 pm
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Sorry about the technics...those darn things look sweet, but they weren't what I was expecting either. I just forked over $$$ for a pair Numark CDX (...I know, I've heard the stories...overheating, looping, etc.) but I'm hoping for the best. Good luck with the Hurc. Console, I was one the few that sent theirs back for repair and still ended up with problems within a few weeks of repair. Have fun!!

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 9:06 pm
Hey Girrafe Hunter. Good to see you on the forum. While, I'm not exactly happy with my DZ1200 either, I am sticking with them. I have a long list of things I don't like about them, but for me, they were the best compromise at the time. Hoping that a software update someday will fix them. I'm not holding my breath though.

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 10:04 pm
Man I was so psyched to get them, but hey the happiness didn't last. I was able to power out one old school remix, using most of the features it offered and it sucked how many times i screwed up the recording due to the queue points not catching on beat.

anyway enjoy

http://www.giraffe-hunter.com/files/DJ_Mykee-Nice_&_Smooth-Hip_Hop_Junkies128.mp3
his was the first CD I grabbed to test my new Technics SL-DZ1200. As I was playing around I wound up liking the sound of it so I started recording. This song uses a good number of features this Digital Turntable offers, like looping, cue point return, scratching etc. With this song I'm taking you back... back... way back to the 1990 with Nice and Smooth, I know it's old school, but I like it.

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 11:19 pm
I had already listened to the Nice and Smooth mix from your post I saw on 1200 forum. Nice mix and one of my favorite Nice and Smooth jams from back in the day. A nice piece of mixing, no doubt. I also like Sometimes I Rhyme Slow from Nice And Smooth. I'll look for a post from you if you decide to replace the DZ1200 with something else.

My thoughts on all the Pro DJ CD units out there is that they are all really 1st generation. Pioneer, Denon, Stanton, Technics, you name it. All 1st generation. I think the CD player market will start to look a lot more exciting when the so called 2nd generation units. I guess the first of these would be the Numark. It might raise the bar, but I still expect Pioneer and Denon to meet the mark with their 2nd generation style players. They better. Either that or become irrelevant.

Also, as far as why I keep my 1200. They were really just purchased as a controller for VDJ anyway. Other than pitch bend, I don't miss most of the missing features. This is why I can live with them. The only feature I use are start/stop and rotating platter. The rest I do in VDJ.

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 11:51 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
anyone want a slightly used copy of N&S "funky for you" 12" one of my all time favs. Anewsome, that's what i was going to say...that if your looking to use VDJ with anyone of the cd decks then none of the features of the deck should really matter much. did you see the gemini hybrid TT i posted about, talk about the best of both worlds< it plays like a normal TT and then the motor will disengage and the now free motion platter allows you to scratch cd's, like your 1200's without the motor, even take the tonearm off if you mix cd's only...and yes it has features too. What really need to be made is XP10's with some balls, bigger platter and no sondcard built in.

Posted Sat 01 Oct 05 @ 12:21 am
Just an FYI it's awesome who got me hooked on VDJ when he posted a pic of his setup in the sl-dz1200 forum.

When my demo runs out I am more than likely making the purchse.

Posted Sat 01 Oct 05 @ 6:00 am
hi i have a pair of sldz1200s and have been mixing vinyl for 15 years and to be honest i have not had any problems with them. all i hear is bitching about the pitch problem but when did any one have a pitch lock on there sl1210s these decks are a digital turntable not a cd player like the others. i have been using them for about a month now and they are great. Also used pio mk11 and cdx all very good decks but for me sldz1200 are just like my sl1210s just have to be a bit more gental and also helps if you can mix. (bad workmen always blame there tools !!!)

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 12:22 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 1:32 am
hi had a look but it is common knowledge that the pios and the denons turn the pitch lock off when you perform a scratch and the technics dont so that is why you get the distortion which is not realy a distortion but a dsp effect also i think he is using a mp3 and not a audio cd which will make a big difference but as i said before who had pitch lock on there turntables so why is it so important now.
it seems to me that everyone wants to dislike these decks but everyone to there own.

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 2:31 pm
They were good decks but for what i wanted they just didn't work out of the box for me. It was tough to give them up I liked them for the look and te feel, but the shortcomings were not worth the price.

Posted Mon 03 Oct 05 @ 3:34 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)