Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Are these wheels supposed to spin like turntables? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I have a Hercules DJ Console and VDJ came with it. I read another post and the guy said his wheels used to work like direct drive turntables. Mine don't do that,.. they just sit there when the track is playing. Is my console broken or is it doing what it is supposed to. I'd also like to know how guys are suposedly scratching with thier wheels cuz when I try it, it's pretty comical and doesn't even come close to being usable as scratch wheels.

Posted Thu 30 Dec 04 @ 1:49 pm
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
the wheel on the console dont actually spin. they are just used for pitch bend. and the only way to use them for scratching is with the full version i think. the console edition doesnt have the option to scratch usind the wheels although you can use the joystick

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 2:03 am
It is possiblle with console version. the option is avalible on the remote control task of the settings window. Sctratching with the wheels is not the same as with vinyls.

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 6:27 am
The Hercules DJ Console must be active on the remote control task in order to use it.

Posted Fri 31 Dec 04 @ 6:32 am
dj_kikiHome userMember since 2004
I did not understand you people...

Look, I am planing to buy a Virtual DJ and a Hercules DJ Console, and I am very IMPORTANT to know in combination of VDJ and Hercules (registred, payed, full versions) if i load a MP3 song in 1 deck, and play it, will JOG WHEEL (that circle) spins like a turntable or not?

If it stand still than... how do i scratch??? it sucks than :(

Please reply to --@--.-- if it's possible...

THANX YOU ALL

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry dj_kiki no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 6:05 am
It only works in the full version of the software

the console version only supports nudge on jogwheel. Scratch mode is supported in full version

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 10:39 am
dj_kiki: The jogwheel does not spin when the track is playing.

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 6:15 pm
zachaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
and thats the point that makes this wheels unuseable for scratching cause any time you stop moving the wheel the track will continue playing and you will lose your scratch-point

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 9:50 am

true...
but the emulation is not that bad, if you are not too serious about scratchin..

touching the wheel does stop the record, and you can to some basic forward and backward scratch--- and track stay stopped as long as you move wheel..

Also, you CAN use the joystick to stop the track, and then scratch... with a bit of pratice, this trick is ok for basic scratchin as well...

but far from hardcore vinyl scratchin :)

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 10:39 am
Well I've just learned that the XP10 controller wheels do not spin like turntables either. But at least you can stop the track by touching the top plate, do your scratch, let go and the track will continue to play.

In my opinion, the perfect controller will be one that has a direct drive turntable on top like a Pioneer CDJ player. This way you would have REAL vinyl emulation that would allow you to pitch bend, cue, backspin, brake effects, scratch, whatever. It seems all these controller are missing that last ingredient. An XP10 like controller with direct drive tables on top would kick ass. However, powering a device through the USB port is not likely to be possible and in fact EKS has said explicitly on their website that a direct drive model is not planned whatsoever.

I know that there are Pioneer CDJ "style" direct drive players that can play mp3s from memory card, but what the hell use is that?

So we'll keep dreaming for the holy grail of mp3 DJ controller's,... DIRECT DRIVE MP3 DJ CONTROLLERS. Maybe someday, some smart company will invent them. Until then, I'm putting my money on the XP10.

Oh, and before you post something about TCV, yes I know about this and I would hardly consider that the holy grail of anything.

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 6:20 pm
I will only say that there is also Timecode CD's ;)

They can be used together with those Pioneer players, as a contoller for Virtual DJ.
Doesn't get any better than that, and the Holy Grail is found ;) lol

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 9:38 am
Norway, are you serious? C'mon. Are you yanking my chain? Timcode CD's. Really. Then what the hell am I buying XP10's for? If I can remember correctly, a CDJ style player can be had for as little as $500 US each right? That's only a few more $$ than an XP10. Point me in this direction of the holy grail if you would be so kind.

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 11:47 am
The top CDJ 1000mk2 player doesnt even have a direct drive platter. not even a spinnig platter. i think its more or less the same technology as the xp10's have (touch sensitive top plate and a jog wheel)
And the cdj 1000's are played by a lot of club dj's that scratch perfectly with them.

so if you ask me the xp10's seem pretty cool, even without a spiining platter

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 12:33 pm
There are only two cd/mp3 tables on the market that have moving platters. The Technics DZ1200 and the Denons S5000/3000. The Denons have belt drive and the Technics have direct Drive. The Pioneers table does NOT spin, but it does have a touch sensitive platter. The reason the XP-10 and the Pioneer don't have motorized platters is for cost reasons. Same with the Hercules. I have the time coded vinyl, and it is INCREDIBLE- much better than any controller you can get...even the time coded cds...(that is, if your into scratching) And Anewsome- The reason you would want to get the XP-10s is because they are MADE to interface with Virtual DJ. Having the Time coded CDs are just a convenience for those who already had cd decks, and have seen the light of Virtual DJ.

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 2:29 pm
Dont forget the Numark CDX (spinning platter). It has the same drive as the Numark TTx 1 turntables, which is what i use for timecoded vinyl, and i agree - TCV is incredible

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 3:01 pm
Oh yes the numark- my mistake, another great choice for cd decks.

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 4:29 pm
I actually read up quite a bit on CD players with active platters on top. This seems to boil down to the Technics, Denon, Numark and Pioneer players. And I think someone is mistaken here, the Pioneer DOES have an active platter. I was pointed to a very cool video demonstrating how the Technics player has the worst sound quality (at least for scratch effects). The video is located here:

http://www.wizbitwonderland.com/video/361_technics01.mov

I highly, and I repeat - highly recommend you check out this video. Shows the Denon, Technics and Pioneer units in heavy scratch action up close. The sound issues with the Technics would not matter since I would be just using a time coded CD.

I still think that doing scatch effects with a direct/belt drive controller would be easier than say, an XP10. Scratch/release/play (on beat) would seem much more natural with a moving platter than trying to coordinate your release from the XP10's magic platter - that is doing a release after scratching without extering any forward or backward motion on the freewheeling magic platter. Not to mention the other effects like braking and backspinning would be easier too.

I also noticed that the Denon player has a platter that changed rotating speed along with the tempo of the music. I think it's a great (large) visual aid to have a plater that has a large spinning stripe so you can see how fast it is going as compared to the other platter you are mixing to. One thing I am unsure of though, is if the platter changes speed relative to the +/- of the current track or the BPM. If it changes speed relative to the current track then it's mostly useless in my opinion (the platter speed changing feature). For example if you are mixing a track that is 120BPM and one that is 130BPM, it would be nice if the platters rotated at the same speed when both were spinning at ~130BPM. If the platter speed changed acordding to BPM then this would be exactly how it worked.

Just some thoughts.

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 4:47 pm
First things first- the Pioneer does NOT have an active platter- it has a small display located in the middle of the STATIC (non-moving) platter. In this display, it shows a little marker moving around a circle. I know this not from facts I read on the internet anewsome- but from using them myself. I have used the denons, pioneers, and the technics- although I have NOT used the numark. The technics problem with sound quality comes apparent with the key lock feature. When you turn on the key lock, and then change the pitch- the sound quality drops in scratching.

Secondly- the BPM of a record or Mp3 is COMPLETELY different than the RPM of the record. BPM is beats per minute. RPM is Rotations per Minute. The denons rotate at a constant speed ALWAYS. They do NOT change their RPM to the BPM of the songm therefore this "platter speed changing feature" is entiely false. Everything else in your post would be correct though.

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 7:01 pm
yes. i too have seen a video that looks like the pioneers are spinning but like i said in an earlier post its a touch sensitive top plate and a jog wheel too, which is like the xp10's i think. so i think that the xp10's will still be great for scratching but maybe slightly different to a spinning platter to get used to.
PJay

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 11:14 am
If you want a spinning platter to use with VDJ them i highly recomend time-coded-vinyl.
personally i dont see the point of time-coded-cds unless you've already got a pair of cd-decks set up

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 11:19 am
63%