Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Dual screen

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Hi VDJ Team

I think, we all want more space in our screens, and the increased features of VDJ make them crowded. So i would like to use two screens (with dual video cards). I recommend the second screen to be used as browser, so that means that file browser should be seperated from the main program screen kai with drag (move mouse) to move it to the secondary screen. Then it would be much easier to develop skins with larger and more buttons in less crowded screen.
So what i am proposing is to Seperate Browser and let us do the rest !

PS. Don't make VDJ a great video mixer, develop it as the BEST audio mixer. An other software for videos could be interesting for some but not for DJs.

Thanks

Posted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 3:52 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
"PS. Don't make VDJ a great video mixer, develop it as the BEST audio mixer. An other software for videos could be interesting for some but not for DJs."

Wayell, everybody's got one.
Have you ever done a video gig?

A monitor that supports higher resolution will help this.
There are several 1280x1024 skins now.
There are also skins that greatly reduce clutter with the help of a controller like the dac.
If you have a DAC try the skin by Chris Stoll, the power user skin.
This will give you 30% more record case area and the font is easier to read.

Nobody wants VDJ perfect more than the developers.
It will come.

Posted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 4:28 pm
Having a video gig, you need video clips i guess. Having all my music in video clips, it's rather expensive don't you think? I usually use the secondary Video output to connect a projector and show animations from Winamp to a wall (like laser show or something).
Anyway when i said don't make VDJ a video mixer, i meant give us the option to choose between a "light" audio mixer and a "heavy" video mixer. (but that's just a thought)
The request of separating the file browser still remains, because no matter which skin do you use, two screens will allways be better than one. It doesn't matter which controller do you use, i personally use Hercules but i want to view all buttons in screen, even if i control them from HDJC.

Thanks for reading

Posted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 11:34 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
You are 3/4 of the way there if you are projecting visualizations.

The first time you mix a video your eyes will go wow what have I been missing.

It's all going to get better, don't worry.
It's been a busy time lately.

Posted Fri 23 Sep 05 @ 12:29 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJ Dad,

You can use dual screens now, pretty much just as you described. With 2 video cards, you can extend your desktop so that your 2 monitors are stacked one ontop of the other and then just use (or create) a skin that extends twice as far vertically and dedicates the bottom (or top) half to the browser. I suppose this could be done side-by-side as well. I'm not sure how VDJ would deal with sending video to a 3rd video card, but it sounds like that would not be an issue for you anyway as you don't take advantage of that feature.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 5:35 pm
I allready have a dual output video card and i use two screens (prmary and secondary). I have never tried to create a skin, and i don't know if i could it. If anyone could give me some infos about which parts should i change in skin files, i would apreciate. Thanks anyway for the advice.

(Are you sure that if i make a larger skin it will expand to secondary screen or it will be cutted off the rest peace? ...Sorry for my bad english, i hope you understood me)

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 11:20 pm
DJ Dad,

Skin should definitely stretch to the next screen. You just have to make sure you have 'extended desktop' enabled in windows disply settings. And also make sure you have video deactivated in VDJ video settings.
To test this, just try dragging the VDJ across to the other screen in dual display mode. You can at least get it split between the 2 screens that way, though a skin designed for this purpose would certainly look nicer.

Let us know how that works.
Also, post a skin request in the Skins forum and perhaps someone already has such a skin for you to use or can easily modify one of their skins.

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 5:37 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i created in the past "the mixstation winxp - double screen " in this idea

Posted Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 1:35 pm
DJCel: is this skin available? I might like to try it out myself. Have you tried it with video? Curious to see how that works.

Posted Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 5:16 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Posted Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 8:51 pm
thanks djcel for the reply, i will certainly take a look at this.

Posted Sat 08 Oct 05 @ 2:08 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
there'r many issues completely different being discussed on this thread.... well 2. screen size and video gigs.

1. Screen size:
there'r many ways u can personally increase ur screen size one which is increasing ur screen resolution. for ur program to run smooth on a high resolution i think one would need at least a 32MB video card. i personally recommend 64MB (coz i have 32MB and i cant run vdj with too many video demanding programs up.)
i think most poeple here use 1024X760 resolution max flat screens or laptops which dont have high resolutions... by high i mean 1600X1200.

another way to "increase" the screen for developers to have the same exact size at lower screen resolutions. i suggest all future (or current) skins developers please have the EXACT same skins at 800X600 too. some of the screens at 1024+ resolutions might look a little crumbled up at 800+ but thats fine. some users rarely use the mouse anyway. the power of the program is in the keyboard shortcuts anyway.

that is, compress [higher resolution] skins without leaving out buttons, to 800X600. i say without leaving out buttons coz when u glance the 800 skins they look ugly lol. the 1024 skins look better than the 800 skins.

that way one can multitask 4 vdj programs on the desktop or more practically 2 side by side and other programs... (ive cried about this before)

(as a self proclaimed advanced vdj user i think so long as u have 2 turning jog wheels with keyboard shortcuts one can produce incredible mixes. now have 2 programs multitasking without the confusion of ctrl+tabbing them can really take mixes to another level)

maybe we can take this even a step further and create a keyboard shortcut for the vdj other [multi] instance
or maybe since video cards are becoming cheaper and resolutions gettin bigger and 1600 will be common vdj should come with 4 decks the 2 on one side interacting with the other 2 via a master fader. :(

well as u guys can see some ppl are just bored with 2 decks. its been almost a year and vdj hasnt really changed much. but who am i to say anything when im jus a no license user....

Posted Fri 11 Nov 05 @ 10:06 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
2. video gigs.

im not a video dj coz i dont have the resources to be one. if i had a pc that could handle video djing i would. currently i can only work with this 900Hmz 384MB 32MB video. if my pc could handle videos damn right i would.

ive said this before videos enhance gigs. the audience can connect with the artist; ppl can see the video for the first time; ppl can get dance moves from the song etc... a dj who doesnt have too much skillz would want to invest on things like karaoke and video coz that way attention can get away from him for a minute.

i know this friend of mine who i think uses mixmeister. thats one of those programs with videos. ppl in the bar look at the screens coz he really doesnt have much to offer. his gigs would be very bad without the videos. im not a video dude and dont really care for video but it helps.

"...a scientist is only as good as his lab."

Posted Fri 11 Nov 05 @ 10:15 pm
vpcdj, have you ever connected a projector to your PC and tried to spin video using your 32MB video card???

I have tried with a 64MB video card and I would get lagging unless I cut the resolution down and get a really crappy image on the big screens.

I currently run a 256MB 6800GT and all I can say is this....I can mix videos. I have a good resolution although occasionally get lag when too many features are being ran video wise.
The better your video card, the better it will be.

do a search for video cards on these forums and you'll see that the video part of VDJ is pretty demanding on a video card. DJ Cyder can definatelly give more info on this.

DJ White Devil

Posted Sat 12 Nov 05 @ 2:25 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)