Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: REQ: Virtual DJ 8.1 for MacOS

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I know this seems an odd request, but i'm looking for Virtual DJ 8.1 for MacOS.

Does any one have it laying around somewhere, as it is so old that it is no longer available to download from Atomix.

The reason I ask is because I believe this is possibly the last version where the dialogs and settings panels etc, was accessible with voiceover. so I would like to test if that is correct. and would it be possible to have both 8.1 and 2021 installed together like the blind and visually impaired windows users are doing.

Thank you.

Martin

Posted Mon 19 Oct 20 @ 1:16 pm

Posted Mon 19 Oct 20 @ 2:44 pm
Hi.

I have already looked there. it only goes back to build 5402 (Unless i'm missing something). i'm looking for at least build 2857 or older.

thanks anyway.

M

Posted Mon 19 Oct 20 @ 3:32 pm
Where did you get the info about voice accessibility of the dialogs and settings panels?

I'm just wondering as you're new here, and VDJ 8.1 was five years ago.

Posted Mon 19 Oct 20 @ 3:41 pm
As a blind user, i have been using Virtual DJ 2021 on the mac with the VirtualDJ Accessibility tool for speech output successfully, but the settings panels and dialogs are not accessible. Apparently this is because these are 'Skinned' since version 8.2, and can not be accessed easily by a screen reader.

I know that windows users who use virtual DJ 2021, keep Virtual DJ 8.1 installed as well, (as the panels and dialogs in this version are accessible by a screen reader), so they can open version 8.1 and change the settings in that version, then go back to version 2021 and the changes they made in version 8.1 are also done to version 2021. and normal speech output for using virtual DJ still works ok in version 2021. (it just does not have speech access to any panels and dialogs.)

there are a lot of users who are sticking specifically with version 8.1 as that is the most accessible version. but there are quite a few doing this dual install thing, so they can use the latest version, as they have newer controllers that are not supported in version 8.1.

I hope all that made sense lol.

So I was hoping that the panels and dialogs in version 8.1 are also the same on the mac. but I can't seem to find that version to try on my mac.

Martin.

Posted Mon 19 Oct 20 @ 10:27 pm
Now that you've raised the issue, maybe this is something that the devs can investigate and possibly modify.

Which screen reader is being used? Is it one particular software?

Posted Mon 19 Oct 20 @ 10:39 pm
Strange, the settings windows and dialogs are quite the same from VirtualDJ 8 til now.
Not immediately clear what it can be that cause your screen reader to not work. Should be quite the same, but I guess something changed might have had such an impact

Anyways, to download 8.1 for macOs, click the link below
https://virtualdj.com/download/mac/2582

;-)

Posted Mon 19 Oct 20 @ 10:57 pm
RanikiPRO InfinityMember since 2018
Hi MartinBall101,

Rune gave you a link for build 2582 for Mac - which was the first version of 8.1.

In case it is useful I think that this is the link for build 2857 for Mac which I believe was the last version of 8.1

https://virtualdj.com/download/mac/2857

Posted Tue 20 Oct 20 @ 4:37 am
Thank you Raniki

I can confirm that like on the windows version, 8.1 panels and dialogs work with voiceover screen reader.

now with the mallmusic accessibility extension, this makes Virtual DJ 8.1 usable for us blind users on MacOs. although Version 2021 is usable with the mallmusic software, it just very difficult with the inaccessible panels and dialogs.

again thank you for your help.

Martin

Posted Wed 21 Oct 20 @ 10:04 am
Hey Martin, It's spelt MallMuzik :-).

I am the developer of that speech software that martin is referring to.

i'm guessing that the issue with the inaccessibility of the dialogs and windows in version 8.2 onwards, is that prior to Version 8.2, VirtualDJ used standard UI control Elements on the dialog and panels. which exposed their property values for a screen reader to access.
unfortualy since Version 8.2 these UI controls are custom or subclassed and don't expose thiese property values to screen readers anymore.

I did mention this on the original release thread for version 8.2 back in 2016 here. https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/210031/General_Discussion/_NEW__VirtualDJ_8_2.html?page=8
and in the release notes for 8.2, here is this line that refers to the new windowing system.
"New windowing engine, getting look and feel closer together on windows and mac"

Could it be possible to add a setting so that it can be switch to standard UI controls, for us blind / visulally impaired users to use?
although I would guess this might not be easy now, as it has been using these what I asume are custom / sub classed controls for about 5 years.
Perhaps a dev might help us with this final hurdle to make version 2021 just as accessible as version 8.1 is now.

The skin display Virtual DJ uses for its main display is no longer a problem, as my software handles all of that, and does not require a screen reader, as it is self voiced, it's just access to those dialogs and windows etc, where a screen reader is required, that causes us headaches.

At least us windows users have a workaround by dual installing 8.1, and 2021. but for Mac users, I don't know if this is possible.

if your interested the Accessibility software can be bound at http://www.virtualdjaccessibility.com/
and here is a demo video (although old now, but gives you an idea of how it works)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2_py0SM1ko&t=1493s

And finaly here is a link for some information that might help explain more about accessibility with UI controls etc.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/ui-automation/accessibility-best-practices#see-also

Hopefully some of this will help someone. and thanks for reading to the end of my little rant lol

Pete

Posted Wed 21 Oct 20 @ 10:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)