Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Addons

Topic: Denon DJ - Prime 4 - Page: 1

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 7:11 pm
djcraigPRO InfinityMember since 2006
this should be interesting. I get a prime 4 on Monday.

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 9:46 pm
Good luck with Prime. It's awful.

Posted Fri 25 Oct 19 @ 11:54 pm
mg_1978PRO InfinityMember since 2008
hi, effects name i can see in prime 4 displays with this mapper??

Posted Sun 27 Oct 19 @ 1:58 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Not on Mac at this moment but will be fixed in a future VDJ update.
The small LCDs work 100% in Windows

Posted Sun 27 Oct 19 @ 2:11 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Good luck with Prime. It's awful.

I wont be using prime. The screen my not work yet on the prime 4 for VDJ but I'll still be using VDJ.

I thought I was on a downer about Denon but wow!

They will come good with the prime 4 by letting VDJ and serato have use of the screen, if not, it'll turn out to be another MCX8000, which, when they work, ie non faulty processors, they work.

Denon, if you do read this, allow VDJ to have access to the screen and I can see you selling a shed load of these units. Sort out the prime too and you will be on to a winner.

Posted Mon 28 Oct 19 @ 10:34 am
It's a lot of money to pay for a midi controller just for VDJ. Far cheaper alternatives our there that don't have standalone features.

Posted Mon 28 Oct 19 @ 10:46 am
kradcliffe wrote :
It's a lot of money to pay for a midi controller just for VDJ. Far cheaper alternatives our there that don't have standalone features.

Posted Mon 28 Oct 19 @ 1:52 pm
Good work guys, thank you!

Posted Mon 28 Oct 19 @ 9:23 pm
Trying to post off a mobile phone is a bit crap! End up quoting but not replying to quotes. DOH!

Anyhow, I was trying to say @ kradcliffe, I've seen the alternatives out there and the build quality just isn't the same when you compare them to a Denon product.
I, of all people, am not a Denon fan boy as I've had issues with Denon gear in the past (DN-2500F) and definitely the not too distant past (MCX8000).
The feel of the gear from Denon is far superior to vast majority of gear out there and that gives confidence. I've been to some venues where I've used the gear, mainly the mixes, and you have a feel for good gear which gives you the confidence. One venue I work at has an original Formula sound PM80 mixer built 1979 from the "Cats whiskers" and then later the "Ritzy" nightclubs. Ah, the good old days.
Pioneer? Sadly, their gear was good to start with but now you are paying for a name because of the trend on how they have become industry standard like the SL1200's were for turntable. Nothing will ever be as dominating as the SL1200's used to be because of the fast paced nature of electronics.

Back to the Prime 4, unboxed today and it has on screen an icon for a computer, bare in mind I haven't put on the latest firmware, so Denon are not just going to use this as a "standalone" unit. Hopefully, in the not to distant future, Denon will allow VDJ access to the touchscreen (Denon, let this be sooner rather than later).

Posted Tue 29 Oct 19 @ 1:02 am
djdad wrote :
Not on Mac at this moment but will be fixed in a future VDJ update.
The small LCDs work 100% in Windows

So, are you saying the screen on a Prime 4 now works with VDJ on windows?

Posted Tue 29 Oct 19 @ 1:03 am
they said small screen pretty sure they mean this one

Posted Tue 29 Oct 19 @ 1:41 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
By small LCDs, i mean the 4+4 small B/W displays right above the FX sections, showing the Effect names and sliders/values.

Posted Tue 29 Oct 19 @ 2:12 am
FYI Serato firmware released a few hours ago TODAY, and they are letting VDJ 2020 access the hardware either same time or very near future.. If VDJ works half as good as they allow it for Serato its gonna be awesome to have the Engine on board software as a backup & still use the software you are most comfortable with....

If this product works half as good as the MC7000 or Pionner SX did for me... I will be very happy with all the features this has in comparison to other controllers....

Posted Wed 30 Oct 19 @ 11:51 pm
dynamicsoundent wrote :
FYI Serato firmware released a few hours ago TODAY, and they are letting VDJ 2020 access the hardware either same time or very near future.. If VDJ works half as good as they allow it for Serato its gonna be awesome to have the Engine on board software as a backup & still use the software you are most comfortable with....

If this product works half as good as the MC7000 or Pionner SX did for me... I will be very happy with all the features this has in comparison to other controllers....

Yes, I saw the video posted on twitter. Hallelujah!

Bizarrely, the worlds most popular DJ software is second behind serato, which doesn't even come close to VDJ, to have use of this "standalone" unit.
I got my Prime 4 the other day, no updates on it at all and it seems all along Denon have been edging their bets. You click on the USB icon on the screen (correct me if I'm wrong, only switched it on once) which will allow you to connect it to a computer. If it was only going to be a standalone unit, you wouldn't have that option on there in the first place. Well, personally I wouldn't have done that for a standalone unit.

Posted Thu 31 Oct 19 @ 8:05 am
OK another update.... I purchased the denon Prime 4, and it works perfectly with Virtual DJ..... It will not work with the main screen yet, but i have spoken to Denon and it will that will be coming for Virtual DJ 2020 soon... However I have 1 problem with the hardware and so do Serato users..... You cannot go back and fourth between prime Engine Standalone mode & Controller Mode without the software resetting... So you do need to choose what mode you want, and it takes 15-30 seconds to reset (in case you were wondering....

So personally I am very picky on DJ software, The standalone Prime Engine software is OK, but if you are a longtime Virtual DJ user you will be thrown off for little bit, because I am so used to so may extra virtual DJ features. However if you are in Virtual DJ you can see any hard drive connected & a phone to the Prime 4 which is super cool, and it has allot of safety confirms so you cant accidentally back out of Controller mode.... Also the touchscreen music search on the Prime is AMAZING (it just needs virtual DJ's Special features IE: Most played on top search )

However I hope once the Main display and wheel jog display firmware update comes from Denon for Virtual DJ 2020, I think this will be a great unit for every mobile DJ....

I'll try and check in whenever possible to keep all informed of my findings , because I think the product is really well built, it just needs some tweaks...

Posted Wed 06 Nov 19 @ 12:14 am
djcraig wrote :
dynamicsoundent wrote :

Yes, I saw the video posted on twitter. Hallelujah!

Bizarrely, the worlds most popular DJ software is second behind serato, which doesn't even come close to VDJ, to have use of this "standalone" unit.
I got my Prime 4 the other day, no updates on it at all and it seems all along Denon have been edging their bets. You click on the USB icon on the screen (correct me if I'm wrong, only switched it on once) which will allow you to connect it to a computer. If it was only going to be a standalone unit, you wouldn't have that option on there in the first place. Well, personally I wouldn't have done that for a standalone unit.

Yeah Craig,

1st Serato pays allot for them to get this update first..... No worries Virtual DJ's firmware update is coming really soon. ( if not next) ( but it's not really that needed read my next post) ...

2nd I think Denon either saw or got lucky, because of what pioneer did with the SRT1000 was horrible, and the prime 4 got it right...

So FYI for those who may not know, the Pioneer SRT 1000 hot the market as a standalone, and then 1 year later made people repurchase the same unit for Serato & Virtual ... (talk about massive people were pissed) So I can respect that Denon gave themselves a few months of standalone software only, but they actually made the unit to work with serato and virtual as well... All it is is a firmware update....

HOW DO YOU LIKE IT? I think once they get the touchscreen & jog wheel display to work with virtual DJ, and people can switch between virtual & the engine Software with no delay... This will be a hard hardware to beat....

Posted Wed 06 Nov 19 @ 12:45 am
dynamicsoundent wrote :
So you do need to choose what mode you want, and it takes 15-30 seconds to reset (in case you were wondering....

That's absolutely crazy.

I just bought another MCX8000 and I'm glad I did. It has seamless switching and is half the price.

Posted Wed 06 Nov 19 @ 7:26 am
What happened to your first MCX8000 ?

Posted Wed 06 Nov 19 @ 2:20 pm
It was sent back to the retailer as the left hand screen stopped connecting to midi and the USB hub port stopped working. The repair took 9 weeks (6 of them at Denon). I had it back for a few gigs and two weekends ago it just shut down completely in the middle of a gig with a full dance floor and wouldn't power up again.

I ordered a second one as a spare (as nothing currently on the market does the same job) and Denon collected the first one again. Turns out they have replaced the main PCB free of charge and are sending it back as we speak which is pretty good service really.

Probably better to have two of them just in case, however the second one was only £775 from Thomann and has a three year warranty. Not sure why so cheap but I'm not complaining.

Mind you, rumours of a new Pioneer 4 deck standalone unit are circulating but it will be far too expensive so better stick with the MCX as it works with my setup perfectly.

Posted Wed 06 Nov 19 @ 5:14 pm
50%