Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer DDJ-1000 SRT Mapper - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

The new Pioneer DDJ-1000 SRT has been released for Serato! I am hoping to get my hands on one soon. I ave talked with Virtual DJ on Chat and there said there are currently working on support for the unit but have not released date as of yet. I am wondering if anyone has created a mapper yet to work with Virtual DJ as of yet.

Posted Mon 26 Aug 19 @ 4:55 pm
Nobody creates home brew mappers any more. Too complicated to create a definition for these new controllers.

You will just have to wait for the official one.

What made you buy the SRT over the standard controller as it's a fair bit more expensive?

Posted Mon 26 Aug 19 @ 5:11 pm
Why would somebody buy a 1000SRT to use with VDJ when they can get the original 1000 that already works perfectly with VDJ? Just curious.

Posted Tue 27 Aug 19 @ 6:47 am
Perhaps they like the fact that the FX are built into the mixer, and don't rely on the software?

You know how some folks hate on VDJ's FX and ask for them to be "like Serato" or "like Pioneer" etc... :-)

Posted Tue 27 Aug 19 @ 6:58 am
Can't understand why Pioneer are charging so much more though .... they are effectively the same machine apart from some subtle differences.

Posted Tue 27 Aug 19 @ 7:11 am
Because they can :-)

They're Pioneer. They can charge what they want. As long as it has that Pioneer name on it, people will lust after it.

Then there are those that must have the very latest kit. It doesn't matter how similar it is to the previous model. IT'S A NEW ONE!

Combine the two - it's new and it's Pioneer - suddenly wallets are leaping uncontrollably out of pockets. :-)

Posted Tue 27 Aug 19 @ 7:22 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Can't understand why Pioneer are charging so much more though .... they are effectively the same machine apart from some subtle differences.

"Serato tax"...……………….

Posted Tue 27 Aug 19 @ 11:42 am
I am perfectly happy with my gigantic ddj-rz from 2016, but.. those hardware sound effects now.. pretty cool, but I already have them haha.

Posted Tue 27 Aug 19 @ 1:27 pm
groovindj wrote :
Perhaps they like the fact that the FX are built into the mixer, and don't rely on the software?

You know how some folks hate on VDJ's FX and ask for them to be "like Serato" or "like Pioneer" etc... :-)

For those who are also curious about why people would prefer the SRT over the standard DDJ-1000:

I'm not one of those guys who hate VDJs FX. But speaking of the FX I like to have the ability to use software and onboard-FX at the same time.
But that's not everything. What catches me the most about the SRT is that the it is a FULL STANDALONE MIXER, even when its operating in VDJ.
The difference is that the standard DDJ-1000 is just a remote with a master-output.
You mix everything inside the software and get only a master signal out of it (plus a headphone output, which also relays on the software.)
The SRT on the other hand has 5 seperate outputs (that are routed inside the device),
just as you would connect an external soundcard to every channel of the mixer.
And this gives you a real behaviour of a real mixer, and that is what I really love about the SRT.

But on this place I want to say that Virtual DJ could fix it.
There are some logical errors that could be changed to get the mixer in VDJ behave more than a real mixer.
I posted for instance:
- Every setting on the mixer (as the EQs or Levelfaders) get ignored when cloning decks, but the gain gets cloned(?!?!)
- If the sampler gets routed to a channel, the gain-knob of this channel doesn't affect the samplers output.
I posted a lot more, but nobody replied to it, and even if someone of VDJs team replies to it I think there will be
an endless discussion whether or not to change the behaviour.
And because there is no movement at all, I rather change to a device that supports the behaviour I like more.
BUT I FIND IT VERY SAD!
Because VDJ is the only software that is almost capable of everything, and the only software I know on which you have the ability to talk to developers this close.
VDJ could reach everything if there was some more "positive" cooperation with experienced users, but it isn't.
And that is very very sad.

Posted Wed 04 Sep 19 @ 6:03 pm
andy-chiles wrote :
I'm not one of those guys who hate VDJs FX. But speaking of the FX I like to have the ability to use software and onboard-FX at the same time.

When and if Atomix does map the 1000SRT, do you think you will still be able to use the onboard effects with VDJ? I have a feeling you won't, but we'll see. I have my fingers crossed for ya.

Posted Thu 05 Sep 19 @ 8:37 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The DDJ-1000SRT will be soon supported.

DJay 2Legit wrote :
do you think you will still be able to use the onboard effects with VDJ? I have a feeling you won't, but we'll see

Why do you have this feeling ? Is there any controller offering hardware effects that VDJ cannot use ??

Posted Thu 05 Sep 19 @ 8:52 pm
djdad wrote :
The DDJ-1000SRT will be soon supported.

Excellent news!

djdad wrote :
Why do you have this feeling ? Is there any controller offering hardware effects that VDJ cannot use ??

I may have misinterpreted something PhantomDeejay said when he stated:

"For DDJ-1000:
Hardware effects can be used ONLY with analog audio sources (even with Rekordbox). For software decks the effects are always provided by the software (even for Rekordbox)"

So I thought he meant that the hardware effects can be used ONLY with analog audio sources on the DDJ-1000. Am I to assume that won't be the case with the DDJ-1000 SRT? Just wondering...

Posted Fri 06 Sep 19 @ 6:46 am
No you haven't misunderstood.

For original DDJ-1000 that's the way Pioneer designed the unit. Therefore VirtualDJ can't do anything to use the hardware effects.

What djdad said above is that if a unit offers hardware effects to be used by software (at least the one that come in the box) we always do our best to support them. Until this day we have succeed with ALL.

For DDJ-1000SRT:
If it offers hardware effects for Serato then yes you'll be able to use those hardware effects in VirtualDJ too.

PS:
When Pioneer released the original DDJ-1000 a lot of bloggers thought that effects were hardware.
Pioneer owns the code and parameters of it's own hardware effects. Therefore they opted to "duplicate" those effects on their software (Rekordbox) and build the unit in a way that effects are "software" for digital bus and "hardware" for analog bus.
Since their "software" effects are an exact copy (or a very close emulation) of their "hardware" effects most users/bloggers e.t.c. thought that effects were always hardware.
However that was not true. (I already have explained how they work)

Posted Fri 06 Sep 19 @ 7:01 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :

For DDJ-1000SRT:
If it offers hardware effects for Serato then yes you'll be able to use those hardware effects in VirtualDJ too.

I don't know about the communication between virtual dj and some some 'effect-hardware-software-interfaces' of the device itself.
What I definitely know it that the mixer of the SRT is a FULL STANDALONE MIXER with its own effects, just as a normal DJM Mixer.
If there is any way to use this effects inside Virtual Dj (so I understood) then its fine, but I usually don't want my software to use any effects from the hardware.
What I meant was to use the effects inside Virtual Dj over my seperate Midi-Controller, and additional having the ability to use the onboard-fx of the mixer.
So I could do a flanger in VDJ and an echo on the mixer for instance. Clearly I can do this in VDJ too, but this would require more time.

BUT not only the FX are the triggering factor for my change.
VDJ just don't acts right within the mixer because of some small but weird behaviours, and therefore it just don't feels as real as a standalone mixer.
I would love to stay at the standard DDJ-1000, but this means the developers have to fix this two weird behaviours.

Posted Fri 06 Sep 19 @ 8:15 am
Just to make it clear:
When we talk about "hardware" effects we mean that software (VirtualDJ, Serato, Rekordbox, Traktor e.t.c.) feeds the device with audio and the unit itself applies it's own "hardware" effects on that audio.
Of course it's possible in this case to feed the unit with audio that has already some software effects running on it. In other words it is possible to apply let's say "beatgrid" effect in VirtualDJ and add "Low Cut Echo" in the controller and have the result of those 2 effects together.
You can also opt to not use "software" effects at all, or not use "hardware" effects at all.
andy-chiles wrote :
What I definitely know is that the mixer of the SRT is a FULL STANDALONE MIXER with its own effects, just as a normal DJM Mixer.

Well, the original DDJ-1000 is also a full standalone mixer with it's own effects, just as a normal DJM-mixer as long as you use analog sources.
Once you go digital (you send audio on the digital bus) things get different.
Whether or not DDJ-1000SRT follows the same logic remains to be discovered once we get a unit on our hands.
If it uses hardware effects on the digital bus as well, be assured that we will support this functionality and they will work (in conjunction with software effects as described above) with VirtualDJ as well.

Posted Fri 06 Sep 19 @ 5:28 pm
PhantomDeejay,
I totally understand everything you said and it makes 100% perfect sense to me which is why I stated what I stated to begin with. So like you said, we'll just have to wait and see what functionality Pioneer allows with the effects once you guys get your hands on one. Thanks so much for clearing this up.

Posted Fri 06 Sep 19 @ 6:20 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

Whether or not DDJ-1000SRT follows the same logic remains to be discovered once we get a unit on our hands.
If it uses hardware effects on the digital bus as well, be assured that we will support this functionality and they will work (in conjunction with software effects as described above) with VirtualDJ as well.

I'm working in a shop which sells dj gear.
I'm the tech geek here, if you will...
I had a very close look to the functions of the device and especially the mixer and its behaviour, that's why I am saying that the SRT is a full standalone mixer, even on the digital channels.
It is just as you would connect an external DJM, or let's say it's a DDJ-SZ in a smaller size.
So there is interaction with the midi knobs, but it is not necessary to control the audio that comes out of the software. It has a soundcard with 5 outputs built in that are routed to the separate channels, just as the DDJ-SZ. Controlling the audio happens ONLY over the mixer and it's based on hardware. And this is exactly why I want this device, unless this 2 weird behaviours of the VDJ mixer get changed.
But hope the informations help anyway.

And can I somehow help with the unit that is in our show room? Maybe over remote access or something?

Posted Fri 06 Sep 19 @ 6:54 pm
andy-chiles wrote :
And can I somehow help with the unit that is in our show room? Maybe over remote access or something?

Won't be necessary. We will have the SRT available in our offices as well next week. Thanks for your offer anyway, we may ask your assistance in the future on another device.

Posted Fri 06 Sep 19 @ 8:30 pm
djdad wrote :
andy-chiles wrote :

Won't be necessary. We will have the SRT available in our offices as well next week. Thanks for your offer anyway, we may ask your assistance in the future on another device.

Yes of course, I would be happy to help out in any way.
You also can ask anything else about every device. We have a lot of devices in the store and direct connection to the manufacturers and repairshops, as well as an own repairshop, so don't hesitate to ask! :)

Posted Fri 06 Sep 19 @ 8:45 pm
andy-chiles wrote :
You also can ask anything else about every device. We have a lot of devices in the store ..

You have no idea how many we have here too ! Just think how many controllers have been released since the days of Hercules MK1 (have that too) :P

Posted Fri 06 Sep 19 @ 9:36 pm
36%