Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Automatic Border Fill - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

This is for videos which have the black bars on the tops or sides.

I’d love it if VDJ could blur or use the plugin “video bars” to fill these in automatically.

Please can we get this in a future update, please I’m begging you.

Posted Thu 28 Mar 19 @ 4:17 pm
They could just use some color instead of black but that really does not do it.

The new display code for TV4 can auto fit the black bars of images / video with a given pattern or a pattern obtained from the image / video. The new display code can do many things but almost none of it is turned on yet as I have to also create a user interface to it. The VDJ video has rather poor access to it's video for things like this so it becomes awkward to do it for that and can't expect them to do much since they only implement things it seems just to get by.

With this image, I extracted color and pattern from the video to fill in the black. I also added a slight border to the top and bottom because I think it gives a better look. The beveling is just part of the border style.

PS: Personally I see blurring as distracting and don't like seeing it in videos they show on television. I don't think it provides enough separation from the video just by itself to be anything useful.

Posted Thu 28 Mar 19 @ 7:49 pm
A blur, color, pattern, I don’t care what it is as long as VDJ can detect them automatically and turn on something to cover them.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 2:33 am
If your talking about the videos you buy that have black borders added to them, them just remove the added black borders permanently with a tool like handbrake. That is the only case that would need to be detected but don't think you are talking about that.

If the black borders are added because of display size versus video size, then of course that is known because it is the video display software that introduces the black borders to preserve aspect ratio. No detection needed. The color most often used to fill in the blank areas is black but can be any color. Changing color alone is not that useful... What color? Say if a single color was chosen by you for all videos then that could be worse than black. Are you inclined to add a special color for each video? Probably not. It would be easy for them to change the back color from black to some other color but again not all that useful in my opinion by itself. I just would not expect them to do much else...

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 4:49 am
That’s why I asked for a blur but none of this matters to me anymore, I found a work around that will automatically fill the bars with a blur.

It’s Mix Emergency, lol!!

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 5:39 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Automatic blur in vdj will probably be added as well :)

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 6:30 am
The example page for MixEmergency shows this. I think there are others but is this what you like? These at least appear half ass to me. I mean if they have something better they should show it. Or maybe you have a better example.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 8:49 am
Doesn't look very blurred compared to what you typically see on facebook either.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 9:08 am
With Mix Emergency you can adjust the blur itself as well as the size.

Don those images are old, he hasn’t updated those pictures in years.

As to the question of, is that what I like? Well I’d rather have the video fill the screen but reencoding everyone of my videos would take quit a long time and some videos end up looking distorted I’d rather have that then the bars.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 1:01 pm
I don't mind black bars on 4:3 videos. It's either that or they are horizontally stretched which looks awful or zoomed in which looks equally as bad on low res 80s tracks.

I tried using Handbrake to remove the bars on some which had them as part of the video. They seemed to convert fine but in testing the audio was muffled in mono but ok in stereo. Obviously an issue with the conversion.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 1:08 pm
Yeah the squished look is horrible, Lmmfao! But atleast Adion has confirmed a fill of some sort will be added in a future release. I’m happy to hear that!!

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 1:24 pm
Yeah, good news indeed.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 1:56 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I figure we’re always better off viewing the videos as they were intended. Never stretched and never zoomed.

Personally, I don’t mind the black bars at all. I know why they’re there and just ignore them. Other colours would be gimmicky to me but others may like.

I’ve never liked how news stations or others replicate, distort and magnify parts of the video to fill in the space on the screen but I’m sure someone has done studies and found that the general population wants the screen to be filled.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 2:39 pm
I think it looks quite ok, and especially when having other things on screen, or mixing between different videos I do think the blurred background looks better than just black bars.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 3:35 pm
Will this also work on videos with black bars encoded in them (for example a 640x480 video saved as 720x480)?

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 3:44 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Adion wrote :
Automatic blur in vdj will probably be added as well :)

This is one of the reasons I love vdj, the devs reply to threads, "yeah that's a good idea, let's do that."
You just don't see that with the others.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 3:46 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
kradcliffe wrote :
Will this also work on videos with black bars encoded in them (for example a 640x480 video saved as 720x480)?

I can't see that working since the bars are actual part of the picture.
But I might be wrong.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 3:55 pm
It might be an option for a video file to let vdj know it's 4:3 or 16:9, and then indeed have vdj cut the black bars off (and optionally fill with blur depending on output aspect ratio)

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 4:00 pm
That would be perfect.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 4:09 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
One of the many things I like about VDJ is that it’s a choice I can make about how to make it look. Or sound. Or work.

I certainly won’t judge (much) if someone else likes to blur. And I can always try it out.

Posted Fri 29 Mar 19 @ 4:51 pm
67%