Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Serato User with a few questions to people that use both applications

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys/girls,

So I've been working for a couple of weeks in VDJ and there are a couple of things that I can't find. Also, I read the manual...

1. Serato Crates: So I see them, I can interact with them, I can sort them (somewhat) but I can't manually reorder them and I don't see a number column. Is this a limitation or VDJs interaction with Serato? Do I have to make new vdi playlists folders to be able to do this? I'm hoping that isn't the answer.

2. Serato Flip, Is there anything like that in the app? I know there is scripting but if you are familiar with Flip, it's very easy to make custom actions quickly and efficiently. Is that anywhere in VDJ?

3. My cue point colors have a mind of their own. Sometimes I'll make a new cue point and it will be one color, and the second another color, which is how I have it set. Next time I do it with a different song, the cues are all the same color, red or blue. Is that a glitch or am I missing something?

4. Sandbox is really impressive.

Thanks!

Posted Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 6:43 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Serato crates are indeed read-only, so to reorder them you'll indeed need to copy them over to virtual folders or playlists.

There is indeed no number column in VDJ. I'm not sure what the use would be?

Can you explain a bit what you use Serato Flip for exactly?

Unless you specifically color your cue points in the POI editor (or imported from serato for existing cue points), they should follow the automatic colors according to the nonColoredPoi setting.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 7:06 am
The number column in Serato allows for it to be sorted by when it was added to the crate and then you can reorder them if need be. I'll see if I can work around that.

Serato Flip is like Visual Basic for DJs. It records physical actions (button movements) that allow you to record new beats, versions that start with the chorus and then jump right to the 3rd verse and censor for dirty versions. Stuff like that.

As far as cue points, that's the problem, I'm not manually changing the colors, they should set different colors at random, but sometimes they don't.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 8:05 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If you sort a Crate by a Browser field (e.g. BPM), then you can right-click on any Browser field header and choose "Reset Sort Order" from the drop list (at the top of the list), which i suppose is the same as sorting Track Number in Serato
Same goes with Playlists, where you can additionally re-order tracks manually.

Its up to the nonColoredPoi setting value. If set to Per-Cue, then Hotcues will get the pre-defined different colors.
If not the case always, then you could check 2 things..
- See if the settings are saved on exit, e.g. change setting to Per-cue, close, re-open VDJ and see if the value is still as set. If not, then there may be some write-permission issue on that file/folder
- See if the POIs are manually set to a Color from POI Editor (default Color value is "None"). If set, then the set color will override the pre-defined one.

Posted Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 8:26 am
ZiglarPRO InfinityMember since 2011
For an Answer to Serato Flip. The only way to get that at the moment is through scripting(which u may not want as indicated in your post). For example to skip certain parts of a song you would have to set cue points,go to the POI editor and edit them to action points and then type the action you would want executed.

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 9:14 am
I don’t even think most djs use flip from what I’ve seen......

It’s nice and all but the time it takes to “flip” a track I could just make an edit with Live or even chop a track with MixMeister......

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 5:50 pm
Yeah well Atomix took the timeline out of VDJ 8 before it was even released, so it'd be nice to get something along those lines.

I did suggest that they make timeline available to us as a paid extra, but that went nowhere. :-)

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 5:55 pm
For the number function, will "first seen" be on par with what you are looking for?

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 9:08 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I think the number function is just playlist order, but I don't know for sure.

@Cleveland Terry
As for "flip" my fx with accompanying padpage (called) Routine does what flip can do and also it is editable after recording.
http://www.virtualdj.com/plugins/index.html?addonid=80470
http://www.virtualdj.com/plugins/index.html?addonid=80471

Flip was never an easy thing to explain, nor is Routine but once you get it, it's pretty simple.
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/213688/addons/Routine.html?page=1

the only thing I don't like is the Routine jump markers littering the song_pos wave, I tried using remix points (no dice) I also requested a transparent cue colour, a special new cue type and a few other ways to avoid the litter, but again that didn't happen.

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 10:14 pm
Unfortunately, Routine is windows only.

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 6:41 am
Yep, sorry about that. If there was a mac user who could run xcode I'd hand over my sauce code in an instant. But dj's who code on mac don't appear to exist.

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 6:54 am
locodog wrote :
dj's who code on mac don't appear to exist

SBDJ exists - well, I think he's still with us.

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 5:26 pm
Maybe he's been hiding away working on the remote app as it's still broken ......

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 5:35 pm
He's around but he's busy and I imagine he'd develop ptsd if he had to deal with my sauce code.

Anywho back on topic.

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 6:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)