Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Adding Midi support manually - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I am using an older build which works perfect for me.
My question is, can I still add support for midi controllers supported natively in newer builds by manually installing them or similair ?

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 11:07 am
No basically.

The mappings are updated with the versions and it's not possible to separate them.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 11:10 am
OK.

But I know it's possible to add mappings for controllers not natively supported by VDJ by adding midi definition file and such.
Maybe Atomix can provide those if asked ?

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 11:34 am
This question has been asked before and they will not provide separate definition or mapping files.

IMO there's no reason not to continuously update VD8 unless you have some strange specific reason.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 11:47 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Also keep in mind that in most cases, new controllers usually require some software implementations, so they wont work as expected if an older Build is used.
As Keith suggested, you should provide further details for any issues you experience with latest Builds

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 5:14 pm
I have used very new builds in the past, and sometimes run into problem. Could be freeze, crash or other spurious stuff that occours.
I revert back to 'safe ground' which in my case for now is build 3573 (I needed a build that support my MCX8000)
For a long time, I stick to the latest 8.1 build (build 2857) since I experienced that build to be extremely stable, at least for me and together with my gear at that time.
I seldom update, I rather stick to known stuff even if it does not contain the latest updates to mapping and such.
The same goes for Windows. I still run Windows 7 on both my gig machines, and those are very stable, and not giving me bad surprises.

I may be somewhat skeptic to new stuff that I don't know well.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 6:41 pm
I'm the opposite. I generally update to the latest pre-release version when it comes up and I never have any issues.

If there are any problems with the pre-release versions they only affect a very small amount of users and Adion releases an update to fix any problems very quickly. VirtualDJ is certainly the best supported software I have ever used.

Regarding Windows, I have 7 on my test machine, 8.1 on my main gig machine and 10 on my GPD pocket for smaller gigs. I always disable Windows updates because I don't trust them and I've been bitten too many times in the past.

Each to their own I suppose ........

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 6:45 pm
There's something to be said for both methods.

It's certainly wise to use something you have tested long term, that you know is stable. That's why companies who run "mission critical" hardware & software tend to hang back and stay on old kit.

OTOH if you want support for new controllers then that is only going to happen with new builds. Just make very sure that you test thoroughly at home. Don't just install the new build then go out and gig the same night.

There's a story in the news right now about flaws being found in many computer chips. If you run an older system you could be at risk of being hacked. However, I suppose if you gig with an old operating system that doesn't see the web then it's not so much of an issue.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 7:27 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I'm the opposite. I generally update to the latest pre-release version when it comes up and I never have any issues.

OK, and how much testing will you be able to do in advance before using the new build on a gig ?
VDJ is updated very frequently (good and bad) since stuff being fixed quick but still other bugs are created.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 8:15 pm
I don't test it before gigs. And there generally aren't any issues. Maybe one in ten builds has something wrong but it has never affected me on a gig. I can instantly roll back to a previous version anyway as I keep a copy of previous executables just in case.

Anyway, that's pre-release. If you auto update to the public builds they are fully tested and 100% safe.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 8:29 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
groovindj wrote :
However, I suppose if you gig with an old operating system that doesn't see the web then it's not so much of an issue.

At some point you have to connect to the web for VDJ updates and this one time can make you cpu vulnerable.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 9:29 pm
Newsflash - you can download VDJ using a fully patched up to date computer, then install it on another computer.

Posted Fri 05 Jan 18 @ 11:14 pm
ohshit wrote :
groovindj wrote :
However, I suppose if you gig with an old operating system that doesn't see the web then it's not so much of an issue.

At some point you have to connect to the web for VDJ updates and this one time can make you cpu vulnerable.

Stop this crazy talk. You could step out of your house and be hit by a car, get pushed in front of a subway car, shot in a club, or just drop dead from natural causes. Do you stay home, because you are afraid of a life or death incident? But you are scared to get on the internet?

I personally update sometimes before I start playing. I had an issue 2 weeks ago, and went back to previous version, because I too keep all versions on my machine. The issue was fixed by Adion and the crew within hours. The main reason I update is because I'm not a computer wizard, and these people know more than I do. If they deem an upgrade is necessary, why would I hesitate. Maybe some of you guys are smarter.

Posted Sat 06 Jan 18 @ 8:05 pm
Exactly what Rick said ^^^

Posted Sat 06 Jan 18 @ 8:19 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Using win 10 and an older build of vdj 8.2 I hit major problems. File selection failed to work after 5 hours of perfect performance. Even Ctl A would not work to select all files in the focused browser. All I could do was load a playlist and put it on automix. I've never seen anything like it. I had win 10 updates disabled in the services but when I restarted win 10 started doing significant updates.

Also VDJ keeps trying to turn on my location services..why?

I can for see a time when I might choose to use older software and block the internet.

Posted Mon 08 Jan 18 @ 9:46 am
bigron1 wrote :

Also VDJ keeps trying to turn on my location services..why?

Probably for Ask the dj to know where you are and work properly.

Posted Mon 08 Jan 18 @ 10:12 am
This thread was initially about if newer mappings can be applied to older builds in order to use unsupported midi equipment in older builds. This seems not to be the case.
I am a little bit paranoid and I have always been.
I do not update OS if not really necessary, I keep stuff that's working even if it's old and I do not see a reason to buy the new shiny stuff without having a real reason to do so.

I have had a few crashes 'on air' and it scares the hell out of me, probably I am a little bit 'over-sensitive' as person. I have backup systems ready to go and all that, which gives me some piece of mind, but still, the feeling of using 'unknown' tools which I consider a new build is, I rather stick to the old stuff.

Over the years, I have gained a lot of confidence in my equipment, as hardware at least. The MCX8000 which I have had for some 6 months or so, is not being used on a gig yet. I want to know it better and learn it very well before. My old MC6000's are the tools I use for the moment.

I decided that 2018 will be the year of launching my MCX8000 as my new tool and I am also rebuilding some gear in my racks.

Who knows, one day I might use the latest build on a gig aswell :)

Posted Mon 08 Jan 18 @ 10:26 am
MrJackson2014 wrote :
I am a little bit paranoid and I have always been.
I do not update OS if not really necessary, I keep stuff that's working even if it's old and I do not see a reason to buy the new shiny stuff without having a real reason to do so.

People call me paranoid, I call it being prepared. My man bag almost weighs 50 pounds, filled with supplies including a full suture kit, in case I have to sew myself up. Upgrades and updates are far from "the new shiny stuff". They are more about improvements, and bug fixes. Some of the issues that you may be having, may have been fixed in the many updates, we have had. Don't believe me, ask around. So I can't force you to update, but if you continue to do the same thing, nothing will change.

Posted Tue 09 Jan 18 @ 3:57 am
A Man and His Music wrote :
The main reason I update is because I'm not a computer wizard, and these people know more than I do. If they deem an upgrade is necessary, why would I hesitate. Maybe some of you guys are smarter.

I hope I am wrong about the following.

I don't know what they do at Atomix in this regard but could go something like this. The programmers make some changes that can be simple to complex and they test these changes. Programmers always do some testing of the stuff they do but they don't make the best testers. We don't know what happens for testing outside of programmer testing within Atomix. At some point they create a new build and that gets posted as a pre-release. Probably called a pre-release because of minimum testing at Atomix but I don't know that. So the testing is handed off to the user community. The user community just wants to use the program to do their job which is expected. In general they can report some problems they might run into while using the program but most don't know much about testing and really not their job anyway. Then someone says it has been long enough for build xyz so lets make it a public build. Then someone can say it is 100 percent safe. Crash and hang is easy with any build of 8 I don't go out of my way to make it crash but just easy to do with just a little testing. A little obscure maybe but things a user might do. He would probably be told well that's a user error and just don't do that lol. Not sure what I would find if i really tried. I think to myself maybe they need a 'don't do that list' :)

Programmers are better testers than your typical end user but easy for them to focus too much on the small picture and can easily miss something. People who do testing as their main job can become very good at it and that is ideal. Saves time, money, and frustration.

Posted Tue 09 Jan 18 @ 8:31 am
Don, I don't know what to make of your post. I know that you have had an issue with Atomix, because you think they should do some of the things that you have suggested. You bring this up every chance that you get. I don't have an issue with that. I don't know how Atomix run their business, or develop their software. I don't care. I don't know how Boeing, does it's research, but I get on their planes. Some of their planes fall out of the sky, but we still get on them. Have you stopped driving because of exploding airbags, or someone running a red light? This is DJ software, let's try to keep it in perspective. No one dies because of a bug in DJ software.

They make a product that works for me. I had an issue 2 weeks ago with a new build as a beta tester, reported it, and it was fixed within hours. This was at the club, as I updated just before I got there, so I went back to my previous version. The next morning I upgraded to the fixed beta. I use your software, and I don't know how you build it. I don't care. When you release an update, I install it. I don't ask how much you have tested it, because I think that you know more about your software than I do. If your software causes a crash, I will not slit my wrist, but will let you know, and hope you will fix it as fast as Atomix fixes theirs.

My point is, we all take chances. Updating a software, is a lot less dangerous than many other things that we do in life. Put it in perspective. Being afraid to get on the internet, or update a software is not logical to me, if you are going out into the world, where you life may actually be in danger. Unless you are a shut-in, and never leave your house, then I can understand.

So, you will nor be able to use new controllers, new mappings unless you update your software.

Posted Tue 09 Jan 18 @ 10:11 am
63%