Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Adding Midi support manually - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

You sound like I should not bring up issues that are confusing and problematic and should never say anything about them when it is obvious to anyone that they are problems. While easy to see they can be hard to explain. I only want VDJ to be better. It is not any kind of personal thing and I don't have an issue with Atomix because I stated some facts that where not acted on. Happens all the time in the software business and no problem and go have a beer and laugh after work.

If something works for you I am not arguing about that. Do you want VDJ to be better? I do... sounds like obvious problems are fine with you though.

The main problems I reported long ago are still problems and people still ask on occasion. Normally they don';t get a correct answer unless I say something. Better to keep everyone in the dark and confused.

It does bother me people are not more demanding.

Lighten up Rick. I was trying to be nice when I posted that :)

Posted Tue 09 Jan 18 @ 1:03 pm
screw up

Posted Tue 09 Jan 18 @ 2:08 pm
Could you just verify the below is true please...

1. In order to downgrade the build of VDJ, it only needs to replace the virtualdj.exe file, and not need to go through the installation, correct?
2. Is there any compability issues between database and older builds? I mean if I have done changes in the database with a newer build and downgrade to an older build, can that cause any problem? (If older builds does not support everything in the database file)

Posted Fri 12 Jan 18 @ 9:24 am
1 - Yes, replacing the executable will be ok

2 - No issues. Any changes to the DB or Settings.xml that are not part of a previous build will just be ignored. You are looking in to things a bit deep though ..... I'm not sure if you are just one of those overly cautious people but in general terms if you are not using the pre-release downloads then you should never need to roll back builds, and if you do it would be to a recent one not one from months ago that could be incompatible.

As stated before if you just use the current public builds there will be no issues at all.

Posted Fri 12 Jan 18 @ 9:29 am
Not overly cautions, more like being prepared and know my rig well :)

Posted Fri 12 Jan 18 @ 7:05 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
As stated before if you just use the current public builds there will be no issues at all.

Hm..if you use vdj8.2 with multiple video outputs, the internet, and win10 you will have problems from time to time.

Every piece of software can crash..and our operating systems and hardware leave us all vulnerable.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 18 @ 1:33 am
bigron1 wrote :
Hm..if you use vdj8.2 with multiple video outputs, the internet, and win10 you will have problems from time to time.

No you won't, I do it and more all the time, here. You will never progress, if you are afraid to move forward.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 18 @ 8:01 am
LOL

He does it all the time..but is ready to rollback VDJ in an instant and has backup systems.
The Windows operating system is just not that good..you will have problems.
Microsoft even created software to repair a corrupted upgrade database. What does that tell you?

I can tell you now..AMAHM is not mixing multiple monitor aspect ratios.
Get a 4x3 monitor in the mix and life get's tricky.

Kradcliffe was wise in holding back by using win 7 and 8. I knew I was being adventurous by adopting a fully updated Win10 and the latest VDJ updates. I can manage problems.

We must be due to get the software police..you must upgrade or else, it's for your own good.
There are some features I may not want..do you get it?

I will defend VDJ..it is very good but all software can crash.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 18 @ 2:36 pm
I respect the caution shown by Kradcliffe, and MrJackson2014. Both are careful. I have not displayed this level of caution but do have a backup laptop at all times, and yet another ready to work at home.

Posted Sat 13 Jan 18 @ 3:02 pm
Don't get mad at for stating the obvious. I don't expect most to be aware of the technical details in all of this. I don't know everything but a lot of this is just easy to see for someone that has been in it deep for a long time. Sort of like me trying to be a DJ because I have played music most of my life. And since I have played music I can also teach others how to be a DJ. Most of you would see thru it right away and would think it was foolish. I would not even pretend to know. Some here have been a DJ for a long time and have used a computer for a long time but they think they can now tell people what is good or bad about using computer software when they don't really have a clue. It is really not expected you know in depth about such things. Most of you are end users trying to so some job. It is good to get end user testing but that is very shallow testing and just kind of general use testing.

A Man and His Music wrote :
The main reason I update is because I'm not a computer wizard, and these people know more than I do. If they deem an upgrade is necessary, why would I hesitate. Maybe some of you guys are smarter.

Appears to me that mostly on going bug fixes and with some occasional new features with new mappings etc. They use the phrase 'pre-release' rather than release since they would like you test it I guess. I don't know what kind of testing it has been thru before it gets out. I would expect some casual testing by programmers and maybe some other staff. Bug fixes can cause problems in unexpected places at times. So the software is given off to people who not very well versed in testing. That's not an insult and just a fact. It is not your job to be a tester but it is good to get your feed back about general use.

This is DJ software, let's try to keep it in perspective..

I think most everyone that creates DJ software and a lot of other software expect your typical end user to be kind of lost in the technology of software. The makers of some software don't even seem to know what proper behavior is. I guess they feel like if you don't know enough to complain then why bother. There are standards in place for controls used in a program. Controls are like scrollbars, list, menus, buttons, etc. How they are implemented can tell you a lot about what to expect perhaps in other parts of the program. Most don't have a clue what I am talking about but it is very simple thing that requires no argument from any one that knows just a little. Your expectations have been lowered without you even knowing it.

No one dies because of a bug in DJ software.

Do you care of your show is interrupted because of a some problem? I guess it depends on someones level of professionalism. If a problem occurs when a couple is in the middle of making their vows at a wedding, I guess you ask them to do it again after you restart :) The point is that most people here are not in a position to suggest to others how someone should deal with beta software.

They make a product that works for me.

That is fine. You do what you do and you are happy. If someone does exactly what you do, uses the same exact computer, uses all the same equipment, and does not care if a problem occurs, then they may be happy like you.

A lot of people just don't want to know I think. If I say to much they think it might be because of some self serving interest. I say some things only because they are completely obvious and try and help to make things better. I don't use VDJ for anything in the public so does not matter to me so much. You might dislike what I say sometimes. I don't say a whole lot about many things and tend to focus on some of the main things. If you are claiming somehow you are being progressive by user beta software live, you have a very lot to learn.

I guess now you can yell at me :) I think many are happy with incorrect information and a lot of times that is never moderated. Sometimes the truth is not taken very well. though.

Also was not taking aim at Mike or anyone in particular. He just made some points that probably represent some things that many might think.

Posted Tue 16 Jan 18 @ 12:42 am
So gabycorrea , you have never made a mistake while DJing a party? I'm not talking about a computer error, I'm talking about a human error. If so, then you are the only perfect DJ I have seen in all the years I've been doing this. Never had a record skip, never picked up the tone arm of the song that is playing? Never had a needle break while it's playing? Ever had the band or wheel spinning the platter of the turntable fail? Ever had a fuse blow, never play the wrong version of a song? Never mispronounced a name, dropped a mic, hit the stop or cue button? Ever had a guest bump into your setup, and cause the music to go haywire? I have made all of these mistakes, and many more before the invention of the PC. Guest what? Not one person ever died, and I always got paid.

I can't tell you how many first dances I have done in 50 years, but I do remember one time the record skipped. I pushed it forward, was a little embarrassed, and continued on. I also remember playing the wrong version of a first dance from a CD, went to the correct version on the same CD, and the party went on. I live in the real world, with humans. We all make mistakes, the trick is to not repeat them. By the way, ever had a CD player fail? Yeah, me too.

The first time I started to use computers, I never trusted them, and always had a CD player, with thousands of CDs with me. Once I learned to trust the computer, I gradually got away from CDs. My backup plan was a Sony Walkman, with all of the wedding music on a CD. I have been fortunate, and never had a computer failure doing a private party. I have had shutdowns in clubs, (took me weeks to discover it was the static in the carpet). I had a CD ready because of that.

I can only speak for myself. I am a working DJ, that uses a computer. I do 4 shifts a week in a club, mobile at a health club, and department stores, weddings, corporate, etc.. This is a full service business to me, I don't DJ, I don't eat. I use this software, and someone has to beta test it. I'm not sitting at home pushing a button over and over again. I actually DJ in a club 7 hours using most of the features. Yesterday was 14 hours. I'm not using betas to do weddings, unless I've used it in a club. Since I am a working DJ, it has probably been tested enough to do a wedding.

If you don't want to be a beta tester, that's fine. If you don't want early release, that's fine with me. If you want to continue to use an old version, or even 7, it does not affect my sleep pattern. If you want to play it safe, and continue to use a version, but are having issues, be my guest. However, if you are having issues, maybe those issues have been fixed, and are in a upgrade, that someone has beta tested.

I just remembered that the left channel fader on my second MC6000, failed at the club around 10pm. It would only work if I put pressure toward the left. I put a rubber band on it, to a knob, and used the crossfader the rest of the night. No one died that night either. This post is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

Posted Tue 16 Jan 18 @ 10:53 pm
gabycorreaPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2010
A Man and His Music hello ... if I did many of those things
Many of them in clubs, but a long time ago.
Now for years, thank God, it does not happen to me.
I'm not saying I'm perfect, I'm saying we're looking for perfection.
I'm using version 3967 and that's fine with me.
Imagine when I started on this travolta was skinny and studio 54 was the mecca.
So if ....... I made a lot of mistakes, but I also learned from them.
work with cassettes, vinyl, cds ..... and how you feared the digital age.
and for my virtual dj is the best ........ versatility !!!!!! that makes vdj the best.
we are on the same side and we want the best for our software.
but I would hate to stay in a moment of those ... that are unrepeatable.
and if I work on this every weekend
for many years.my country is very small and we do not have
a large internal consumer market.
the offer during the week is very limited
regards and greetings
Gabriel

Posted Wed 17 Jan 18 @ 3:37 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)