Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Optimizing A Laptop For Video Mixing. - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Not trying to argue Ron just tellin you what has worked for me and seems to keep on working.

Also when you start using apps like Spout with Resolume and VDJ the Intel cards just didn't work. Not sure if this is by design or it really doesn't work.

Now for the record I have seen onboard graphics card such as Intel run full HD and not brake a sweat. I never once said they wouldn't work but as I consider myself a VIDEO DJ PRO I could honestly not suggest to someone use a laptop without a dedicated graphics card.

As I've said you my friend are very, very knowledgeable when it comes to tweaking machines and swapping parts. Most of these cats out here just don't have the time or knowledge to do that stuff.

I hope you can at least understand that.

Posted Tue 03 Jan 17 @ 3:35 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
The latest integrated graphics cards don't get the credit they deserve. Some are more powerful than the dedicated cards from the time when the recommended tech specs were last revised.
Ron, I would like to see a guide for getting the most out of budget pcs as most points would be applicable regardless of graphics card. It is also good to see others weigh in with their opinion on how much time would be required and whether or not that time was worth the cost of simply upgrading. I would be careful not to set an unrealistic expectation, but at least you would be giving confidence to those who are willing and able to tweak their system.
I get what you are trying to do and hope to see a good list of recommendations here soon, and hopefully a wiki sometime thereafter.
My contribution: disable antivirus and don't go on the internet.
Disclaimer: I use an Asus ROG

Posted Tue 03 Jan 17 @ 6:33 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I don't disable my free Microsoft antivirus software. It does not use a lot of system resources, and I go online, but only to reputable websites.
Some antivirus programs are notoriously invasive!

Remember that we are now seeking to reduce the load on the graphics card.

If nèeded.. just turning off automatic updates, and reducing the video loading rate is enough to solve most cpu problems. Using a high end laptop means you are unlikely to need these later optimizations. It's easy to check..just watch the cpu meter on the top lhs of the vdj skin

Posted Tue 03 Jan 17 @ 11:55 pm
I did contemplate dropping my desktop colours to 16bit but found that it was unnecessary.
The video output would of course be 32bit.

Our video problem seems to be mostly the optical "bling" which program/operating system writers like to inflict on our computers, and very high resolutions (720p is very good!).

Think of it as two problems:
1)The CPU
2)The graphics chip
Both can spoil a video mix, and hence both may need optimizing, or just one, or neither depending on your laptop.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 17 @ 12:49 am
Don't forget all the standard stuff..like ensuring that your operating system has enough free space (@20%) on it's drive to function correctly, and you have done a clean install of your operating system. Keep all your data on a different drive to that of the operating system, either a separate partition or an external drive, or maybe a second internal SDD drive for the operating system.

Hm I suppose it does get complicated.

Those who can do..the rest buy a Rog.

Posted Wed 04 Jan 17 @ 1:04 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
bigron1 wrote :
... ensuring that your operating system has enough free space (@20%) on it's drive to function correctly...

Also, if your operating system is that dependent on free disk space (presumably for swapping) then you would benefit greatly by increasing your RAM.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 17 @ 5:29 pm
An onboard intel graphics card will use your laptop memory. My Asus X58L has 5Gb ddr2 which is the maximum the bios can manage. Originally it came with a mere 1Gb. Asus made it so that one memory slot had a 1Gb limit. A bit evil!

Posted Thu 05 Jan 17 @ 6:24 pm
I have 3 working Asus X58L laptops, but only two are fit (1000Gb hdd and 2.4Ghz Intel dual core cpu) to use for my work. The third is slower with a 320Gb hdd. I plan to use the latter for parts should they be needed.

To provide a professional service it is essential to have backup equipment.

I shudder at the cost of duplicating an Asus ROG, and also having backup spares.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 17 @ 6:42 pm
All the skills you Ron yet it seems you lack "bargaining skills", lol!!

I can honestly say with all the gear I have I have NEVER paid full price for any of it EXCEPT my DJM 850.

Things really aren't as expensive as you try to make them seem, hell 2 of my Sweet 16 gigs would pay for a brand new ROG!!

Maybe it's not that things cost to much it could be your short selling your services??

Posted Thu 05 Jan 17 @ 7:00 pm
Beatbreaker, you sound a little like my wife.
You might be right.
She thought it was funny when I read her your post.
She LOL.

On the other hand, over the last 2 years the people on this forum have helped me improve my DJ skills.
Thank you everyone!
I might now be underselling myself, but that was not always the case.

Posted Thu 05 Jan 17 @ 11:15 pm
Na ..you're all poisoning my brain.
There is not much money for the people in N.England, Wales, and Scotland.
We pay more for everything.
Car fuel is the classic example.
We're world leaders in expensive petrol and diesel.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 17 @ 5:58 pm
Anyway..an interesting link Windows OS Hub http://woshub.com/fix-high-memory-usage-by-svchost-exe-wuauserv/ and checkout Fix High Memory Usage by Svchost.exe (wuauserv).
It's a knowledge base for system administrators.

In 2014 Microsoft modified their windows update program (wuauserv), and ever since it has been slowing computers down. A couple of updates attempted to repair the issue but failed. With an Intel dual core computer the windows updater uses between 1-2Gb of memory, and 100% of one CPU. This is enough to reduce most to a crawl.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/midlow_range_cpus.html

Above is a link for CPU benchmarks , and it can be seen that many Intel dual core CPU's are faster than some i3, i5 and i7 CPU's. Clock speed has always been very important.

So, just turning off the windows updater is the answer, at least for the moment.
Updates can be done manually at a suitable time. A DJ should not be surfing the web with his work laptop, just going to websites to buy songs is enough, and these sites are not going to compromise your security.

I'm not at all certain new laptops are much better than old ones.
The build of my old Asus X58L is vastly superior to that of most new lightweight laptops.

I remember in the 1980's cars being built which almost rusted away overnight. One of my cars had a hole in the floor, it was a bit like Fred Flintstone. They want to keep selling us things, new for old, but sometimes the old is still quite good.

This post is from a competent Intel P4 2.8Ghz desktop running Linux.
It's too good to go on a scrap heap.

Note: I tried coloured waves again last night, they started causing graphics problems, don't look very nice, and are not really needed. Monochrome is fine!

Posted Sat 07 Jan 17 @ 6:21 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Ok. one just flew over the...

Posted Sun 08 Jan 17 @ 1:27 am
At a very high rate of speed.

Posted Sun 08 Jan 17 @ 8:59 am
All that a mobile video dj needs can be done wisely using a budget laptop.
We could make a comparison using a taxi cab, what is needed is a reliable economical vehicle, not an exotic luxury car.
Worse still is that the exotic luxury item attracts the thieves, and vandals.
My Asus X58L is ultra reliable, highly cost effective, and does its job.
Hm..it's getting close to 10 years old and doing very well.

It is true that I'm defining the minimum hardware requirements for a video DJ.

As AMAHM likes to say..it works for me!

Posted Sun 08 Jan 17 @ 1:03 pm
I've just surprised myself..my 3rd X58L runs a 2.0Ghz Intel core duo CPU, 3Gb of ram, using Vista. Well VDJ7 smoothly moved from karaoke to video before, mind you it's a 32bit system.
I've just ordered a 2.5Ghz CPU upgrade for it from ebay for £15, it will take around 15min to fit.
I have disabled a few useless Microsoft services that I have not mentioned..
This has got to be close to the very minimum hardware requirement.
I've be working on it for the last few days and its running better than expected.

I'll keep testing this for a bit, but I don't regard it as being good enough.

It's that Microsoft upgrade thing that has sent all the Intel core 2 duo's to the rubbish tip.

Posted Sun 08 Jan 17 @ 1:49 pm
Milkdrop made my old system just a little twitchy, but it's important.
Hence I went to the VDJ milkdrop folder in My Documents and edited the milk and texture files.
Those files which were overly large I deleted (however keep a copy just in case).
This resulted in a well behaved milkdrop!
On top of this I got rid of those files whose effect I did not like.
There are some poor visualizations.
Oh and don't forget to disable VDJ colored wave forms and CD covers since they waste graphics power.

In the menu for installing/removing programs there is an entry for removing windows optional programs.
I removed everything on Vista and Win 7 & 10 without any adverse effect.
Remember I only go on the internet to buy songs, and practically my only software is VDJ.

In the services window I disable quite a few, notable ones being indexing, and search.

My old Intel dual core duo laptop with onboard graphics is running great.

Posted Sat 21 Jan 17 @ 3:46 pm
I'm glad that you are getting by, with your budget machines. It has been my experience that budget minded DJs attract budget minded clients. What the world needs now, is more budget minded DJs, because there is just not enough of them. I'm in a market of DJ companies that don't have budgets, and are providing services to clients, that don't have budgets. I can't just get by, but have to excel, because my competitors are excelling. Maybe you are in a market of budget minded DJs, so your model works great for you. It is good that you are here, showing others how to get their older and under powered machines up to the bare minimum.

Posted Sat 21 Jan 17 @ 8:08 pm
Windows provides tools to monitor things like cpu, and memory usage, and every digital dj should be able to understand the information that these tools supply.
Anyway using these tools I was able to view details of my memory usage. Under normal working circumstances my laptop was using about 1.5gb, however another 2.5gb were held in reserve for the system. In my case that only left 1gb free. It seems 4gb of ram might be the minimum for a video DJ, however it is desirable to have free memory. So I'm thinking a new budget laptop needs around 6gb to perform well.

Posted Sun 22 Jan 17 @ 12:00 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Your pc has 5gb of ram?
Also, what do you mean by 'reserved for the system' ?
If there is 2.5GB indicated as 'hardware reserved' then there might be some BIOS configuration that is incorrect.
If you mean 2.5GB is marked as 'standby' that means the memory is available when required, so you can count it as free memory as well.

Posted Sun 22 Jan 17 @ 12:55 pm
66%