Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Optimizing A Laptop For Video Mixing. - Page: 4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Conclusion

There are 3 critical hardware items which need to be of a minimum standard to achieve 1080p video mixing with an overlay such as Tellyvisuals.

1. The CPU.
CPU benchmarks are important, some new Celeron's and other Intel CPU's perform worse than my Intel T7700 2.4ghz core 2 duo (now upgraded to a T9300). It should be noted that also some i3's, i5's and i7's are inferior. I regard the T9300 CPU as a minimum for satisfactory high definition work using VDJ8.2.
I have bashed Microsoft in the past for their bloated coding. Hm..with all the latest Win10 Pro updates, and a running internet connection their software is using less than 10% of my CPU, often only 1-2%. Using Win10 Pro I can control the way updates are applied making it unnecessary to disable updates in the services. Well done Microsoft!
Stress testing my CPU using 720p video files resulted in a 30-40% CPU usage.
Stress testing my CPU using 1080p video files resulted in a 70-80% CPU usage.
The above is why I think my CPU benchmark is @ the minimum needed.

2. The Memory
This is easy..4Gb's of DDR2 or above of ram is perfectly adequate!

3. The Graphics Card
My Intel 965 express chipset is fine for 1080p video mixing if the optical bling in Windows, and VDJ8.2 is turned off, therefore almost any graphics chip is OK.

The CPU is the demanding item when high definition video mixing. However there are a vast number of CPU's which are better than mine. My future laptop objective is an i5 with a good clock speed (2.5ghz?!), possibly 4th generation, with 6gb of memory, a 1000gb hdd and an Intel onboard 4000 or above graphics chip. One way or another this can be got quite cheaply!

..and if your lucky enough to have an Asus Rog you can now have a much needed, and cheap backup laptop!

One more point..this post is from a "working" laptop, it seems I'm getting a little brave. I like Win10 Pro!

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 4:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)