Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Live BPM tracking

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This used to be a feature in AtomixMP3 but wasn't brought over to VirtualDJ..
Some tracks I have, have variable BPMs and while we have the BPM editor where we can manually make changes for variable BPM its difficult to do this during a gig when youre trying to mix and you also have someone chirping in your ear about a great track they want NEXT ! lol

If the plugin could simply "listen" to the beats and give a read out every 4 or 8 beats that would be very helpful for me please.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 12:34 pm
Why not just take the time to edit the grids before head??

This will help with nit only FXs but also keep samples in time as well.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 12:58 pm
I don't have the time to go through my entire library to make these edits.. I would just like a live bpm plugin to use every now and then please?
SBDJ, do you have anything that can do this??

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 1:25 pm
This has been asked for many times now. Was also a standard feature in Alcatech BPM Studio.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 2:23 pm
Well its not like your playing everyone of these tracks when you play, lmao!! In the end it only benefits you to go through them......

Anyways yeah I'm sure Scott has something.

Good luck

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 2:36 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
If vdj didn't write a constant grid and just put a grid beat on every peak, what would the live bpm be

would it be
60,000 divided by the time (ms) between the last 2 passed grid beats
or
60.000 divide by the time between the last passed grid beat and the next one (next to pass)

Just curious...
vdj does have live bpm for line ins, I wonder if there's a switch that can be flipped to ignore the calculated grid and use this live bpm mechanism.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 2:55 pm
It's a necessary thing to have. Either VDJ needs to display a (optional) live BPM readout that changes when the track tempo does, or the track analysing needs to be improved so that VDJ can detect a varying BPM and add the necessary anchors itself automatically.

Taking into consideration how many tracks have been released in the past, I would bet there are far more tracks with live drums than without.

A single fixed beat grid and/or BPM reading is fine for modern tracks, but what about the old stuff? It varies, and lots of us play old tracks.

Yes, those of us who were DJing when those tracks first came out are used to working with them, but it would be nice to have technology lend a hand so that we're not stuck with manually editing every old track.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 4:47 pm
The technology is there yet no one wants to put in the work!! Edit the grid and be done with it, sure its gonna take a while to get through all your tracks but oh well, thats the nature of the beast.

As for the line in, that thing does read the bpm but its not good in my opinion.

So while were all sitting here waiting for this to happen, just start editing a few tracks every day.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 5:12 pm
TBH if I really need an old track to be mixable in VDJ, I run it though Ableton Live and warp it (which is automatic). This straightens out the tempo so the simplistic DJ programs can beat grid it correctly - but it would be better if I didn't have to resort to using A.N.Other software to do something which a DJ prog should be able to handle.

Even though Live does it automatically, it's still way too much work to even consider warping all my old tracks. It should be as simple (in VDJ) as the current analysing is.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 16 @ 5:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)