Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Streaming Video Wirelessly

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Heres a quick video I just made with some new tech called "NDI" (http://tips.newtek.com/tag/ndi-video-monitor/)

Basically with Mix Emergency you pull video from another video DJ without having to do any hardware switches. Hoping this gets added to VDJ in the future.

Its pretty cool and I can some uses for this type of tech in my future.

Enjoy and hope this inspires you all. (Thumbs Up)

Posted Wed 07 Sep 16 @ 12:31 am
And heres how Mix Emergency has it setup which is how Id like to see VDJ setup one day,

Hint, hint Scott ;-p

Posted Wed 07 Sep 16 @ 1:26 am
Huey, will you please post the information on this in the plugin section.

I went ahead and did some testing with NDI. It worked well for the most part. I don't see it as a way to see what the other DJ might be doing, but as a general way to support network trafficking for audio and video. This of course means anything on your LAN including wired or wireless or same machine will work. I see it as a general way to support wireless cameras and as a general way for other apps to transfer their image to other apps and more. Not sure what kind of device support they have so far.

Posted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 10:40 pm
No prob,

Can a MOD or TEAMER move this thread to the plugin section please and Thanks.

Never thought about the cameras Don, nice!!

But how Id use it is with 2 djs who are playing videos. As of right now we have a hardware switcher at one spot and at the other we literally have to unplug the Mini Display from one machine and then plug into the other. Or there are screens say on a different floor and id love to get video up there. I figure on a private network this would work great, granted lots of testing still needs to be done but I definitely see the potential this has.

Posted Thu 08 Sep 16 @ 11:08 pm
The thing that they did that is exceptionally good is they made this blindingly simple for apps to support. One thing I don't like is they made this dependent on VS 2013 SDK for windows so the support libraries for that need to be installed. The DLL itself is very simple but I don't have the source code for it so I could change that or maybe I can get them to change that. Not a big deal though.

You can probably go ahead and test it right now for your use case. You can use Quick Time or VLC to test it for feasibility.

Posted Fri 09 Sep 16 @ 1:45 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Posted Sat 10 Sep 16 @ 7:24 am
If you are using Windows and are interested in finding out how you might use this in practice, you can explore it with "Spout to NDI" ( http://spout.zeal.co/download-software/ ). The overhead in using the bridging programs is quite low, so you can set up a meaningful test environment.

Start with the Spout plugins for VirtualDJ and then start up either "Spout to NDI" or "NDI to Spout" depending on whether you are sending or receiving.

I have incorporated the VS2013 runtime installation into the Spout to NDI installer if the system needs it.

If you are on OSX you might try the Syphon equivalent by Nozomu Miura ( http://spout.zeal.co/download/Syphon2NDI_13-06-16.zip ).

Also his screen capture application “ScreenCaptureSyphon” now supports NDI ( http://techlife.sg/ScreenCaptureSyphon/index.html ).

As for a plugin for VirtualDJ, that is quite do-able. All you need to do is access the pixels of the VDJ texture. The Spout plugins already do that and could be adapted.

(I will be away for a week from tomorrow so my further reply on this topic will be a bit delayed).

Posted Sat 10 Sep 16 @ 7:55 am
o - Installers / code should check for SSE3 availability - I have an older computer where NDI does not work. There is no fall back for computers without SSE3.

o - one of the minimum requirements listed is Win7 64 bit although it is fine to run as 32 bit

o - if I use BGRX I get immediate crash in NDIlib_send_send_video which I reported. BGRA works fine.

o - beware of odd width or height video sizes. These are dropped to even sizes. This has to do with support for YUV color spaces

Posted Sat 10 Sep 16 @ 4:09 pm
Correction. NDI requires SSSE3 which was introduced in 2006 so most modern computers would be ok. I happen to have one that is ok and one that is not ok.

At first I was using the NDI Video Monitor tool they provide for testing. I could see right away that the colors and detail was off from the original video. I assume the NDI Video Monitor always converts to some YUV variant for display so not really a good test for possible quality. It is good enough for testing and that is about it. I wrote a sender and receiver to be sure about quality. In this case, both sender and receiver are using BGRA and not YUV and the receiver image is unchanged. The original image is on the left and receiver image is being displayed on the right and you can see the quality is good.

This is what it looks like in NDI Video Monitor tool. The sender from my sample app is sending the same image to both it's receiver and the NDI Video Monitor. You can see loss of detail. For colorful images you will see some loss of color. Trade off between the amount of network traffic and quality.

There could be some other things going as well with that.

Posted Sat 10 Sep 16 @ 7:50 pm
Easy solution... Apple TV (Mirror airplay) and ChromeCast.

It would be better if there was a plugin directed at that.

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 7:46 am
The problem with AppleTV is you can only send to one unit.

Posted Thu 15 Sep 16 @ 10:58 am
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
The problem with AppleTV is you can only send to one unit.

Apple TV 3rd Generation = $55
MALLCROWN 3D 1080P 4 Port HDMI Splitter = $30

It's cheaper than getting a bunch of laptops and streaming to each TV.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 16 @ 12:22 am
But you can only send a signal out to 1 AppleTV unit at a time unless I'm missing something??

I have 2 in my house and I can only connect to 1 at a time.

And a wired splitter kind of defeats the purpose, dont ya think??
I'm also on the hunt for one of these, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intel-Black-Compute-Stick-STCK1A8LLC-Stick-PC-with-Intel-Atom-Z3735F-Processor-1GB-Memory-8GB-eMMC-and-Linux-Ubuntu-14.04-LTS-Monitor-Not-Included/46545116?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1056&adid=22222222227034377736&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=55790515178&wl4=pla-87171584738&wl5=9031610&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354288&wl11=online&wl12=46545116&wl13=&veh=sem

If I run Lunix on it hopefully it can handle the video and everythings a go.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 16 @ 12:44 am
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
But you can only send a signal out to 1 AppleTV unit at a time unless I'm missing something??

I have 2 in my house and I can only connect to 1 at a time.

And a wired splitter kind of defeats the purpose, dont ya think??
I'm also on the hunt for one of these, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intel-Black-Compute-Stick-STCK1A8LLC-Stick-PC-with-Intel-Atom-Z3735F-Processor-1GB-Memory-8GB-eMMC-and-Linux-Ubuntu-14.04-LTS-Monitor-Not-Included/46545116?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1056&adid=22222222227034377736&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=55790515178&wl4=pla-87171584738&wl5=9031610&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354288&wl11=online&wl12=46545116&wl13=&veh=sem

If I run Lunix on it hopefully it can handle the video and everythings a go.

You still need to run power wires anyway. Power isn't wireless and I'd hate to see the latency when you stream it to many devices when you can use a single Apple TV with a HDMI splitter with barely any latency at all.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 16 @ 1:07 am
Only way to know about latency issues is to test it and that cost nothing. Wireless is getting faster all the time. The newest spec is 802.11 ac. There are many claims about multi-gigabit speeds but we will just have to see what the actual performance is and how much we can push it.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 16 @ 5:36 am
Don Moir wrote :
Only way to know about latency issues is to test it and that cost nothing. Wireless is getting faster all the time. The newest spec is 802.11 ac. There are many claims about multi-gigabit speeds but we will just have to see what the actual performance is and how much we can push it.

You have to remember there is a bandwidth limitation on all wireless routers, the more devices you stream to the lower your wireless speeds will be. I don't believe a multi-gigabit wifi router even exists... I don't see this idea to be efficient enough to work and why I thought of the idea above. (Unless you pay a fortune for an industrial router, but even that including the expenses for each computer you purchase doesn't justify the price of an Apple TV with a HDMI splitter.)

Don't get me wrong though.. The idea is awesome...

Posted Fri 16 Sep 16 @ 11:41 am
Problem I have right now testing is I am short a decent computer to test network on. I did test it with an older computer and it kept up with a 1080x720 stream but that computers CPU was ramped up so not a good test. But you can run those test easily to see what you get and no need to second guess.

It either works well networked or it does not. That was not the only thing I was thinking of though. I mentioned possibly easy wireless camera support and inter program sharing of it's display image which can be on wireless, wired, or same machine. A while back I tested my phones camera sending video to my computer over wifi. The video was 1280x720 I think something like that and it was very good. More test are needed though.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 16 @ 12:45 pm
I've had 3 machines running on my home network and the delay was minimal.

This is not something I would use all the time, its more like a "how far can I take this" and I'm willing to spend the money just to see how far I can go.

This would be more for lets say I'm at a club and the booth is upstairs but they pump the sound downstairs as well and have a few tvs there also. Me being me I might as well take full advantage of everything at my disposal.

At my residence now when the club hot a make over last year I had them run CAT5 everywhere and buy splitters, receivers, etc, etc so I can be anywhere and plug right into all the screens.

The draw on my i7 machines was small, in fact recording with VDJ put more of a strain on my CPU then running NDI.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 16 @ 1:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)