Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: No internet no use of VDJ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

jamesv1PRO InfinityMember since 2009
I know this has been addressed a number of times BUT....

I have been using VDJ for some time. Once logged on it has always been usable where there is no internet connection, until last night.

I never sign out of the software and never use the log in details elsewhere. Last night at the start of a gig I was asked to sign in, so I went to do so.Guess what, NO INTERNET CONNECTION. No wifi and no mobile connection. I was totally locked out of VDJ.

To get it working, I had to lump the whole flightcase with PC, mixer and controller up a flight of stairs to find the internet and connect just to take it all back down to the performance area. This cost me time and a late start. Luckily I had that option, but it is not good enough.

I know the response will be the same packaged response of signed in will always work, you must have used the log in elsewhere etc etc, but this is NOT the case.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening again?

Posted Sat 06 Aug 16 @ 8:46 am
It's only ever happened to me once but that was a while ago.

As others have stated, once logged in if you copy your licence.dat file and keep it somewhere you can copy it back over if you're locked out .

I can't vouch for this as every time I have tried it still asks me to log in but others say it works.

Posted Sat 06 Aug 16 @ 8:51 am
So something must have happened whilst you had an internet connection as you can not log out, manually or otherwise without an internet connection.

Do you have multiple machines? Is it possible that when you were at home you had multiple machines logged in whilst you had a connection. If so then your gig machine may have been logged out at that point.

As Keith has said, one solution is to backup your license.dat file somewhere safe.

Posted Sat 06 Aug 16 @ 12:01 pm
You could even start VDJ via a bat file rather than directly from an exe shortcut. The bat file could check that the license file is present, then copy your backup file into place if it's not - then run VDJ.

Posted Sat 06 Aug 16 @ 12:47 pm
So the software doesn't work properly and we have to do a work around, hardly ideal.

Can someon e advise on how to do the .dat file thing, even starting from the dat file as I need to do something since this happens at every start up. The licence is not used on any other machines, even though it can work on 2 at the same time

Posted Fri 19 Aug 16 @ 6:02 pm
The licence.dat copy thing doesn't work for me. Tried it several times in different scenarios and I always have to log in via the web.

Posted Fri 19 Aug 16 @ 7:51 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
are you off line when you try it?

Posted Fri 19 Aug 16 @ 8:13 pm
Yes and no .....How does it work exactly?

I assume if you log in to VDJ, copy licence.dat file.

Log out of VDJ then go offline.

Copy back original file and you should be logged in again?

Posted Fri 19 Aug 16 @ 8:18 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
exactly that method works here.

Posted Fri 19 Aug 16 @ 8:30 pm
Ok I have heard and experienced this situation before, just this morning setting up. Took me 3-4 tries to get VDJ to open. I don't understand the having to log in or stay logged in, or have internet connection available to open VDJ. I paid 300 bucks for this program and it should work as flawlessly in the middle of the Sahara Desert, as it does in my recliner. Since I don't subscribe to or use Content Unlimited, would someone explain to me why I have to HOPE VDJ will open without an internet connection?

Posted Fri 19 Aug 16 @ 9:36 pm
VDJ is at the root of how I make my living. I shouldn't need to work around anything to make it work. The developers MUST fix this!

Posted Fri 19 Aug 16 @ 10:18 pm
This is a real problem since one of my DJs lost power tonight Internet went down and could not get his system to boot back up I've been preaching to these guys to try virtual DJ and after tonight was lost two more to Sartao this was the only way for them to get their system back up and running And finish the gig

Posted Sat 20 Aug 16 @ 1:33 am

Posted Sat 20 Aug 16 @ 2:37 am
Lmao!! I swap systems all the time and have yet to have this problem.

Its all in the settings.........

Posted Sat 20 Aug 16 @ 5:41 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You will only ever be logged out it:

* You set the settings to not let yourself be logged in
* Your permissions are incorrect on your VirtualDJ folder and thus we can't create/update files in that folder
* You click log out
* You have logged in on multiple PCs and this particular computer has been online and seen that you have logged in elsewhere

You won't randomly be logged out - I use several accounts across many machines for both development and DJ'ing and have never experienced that.

If the internet fails during a gig and you are already logged in, you will remain logged in. Even after a restart.

Posted Sat 20 Aug 16 @ 9:27 am
SBDJ my problems in the past haven't been with logging in or logging out. Quite simply, in places where I do not hook to the internet, I have had trouble many times simply getting VDJ to open. In all of these instances, I have never been ask to log in. Using Content Unlimited I can understand there being a problem, but I don't use it, and it doesn't seem to me that there should be complications of any kind simply wanting to open the VDJ program.

Posted Sat 20 Aug 16 @ 6:08 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
If you can't get VDJ to open at all then that would be a different issue to the login question entirely. If it's still happening to you now and you can replicate it then it would be worth contacting support.

It shouldn't be an issue - I often have no Internet at gigs.

Posted Sun 21 Aug 16 @ 9:16 am
OldTomPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Working in a fairly rural area I'm often called on to do a wedding in some older venue that has yet to install wi-fi, or in some cases a renovated tobacco barn out in the boonies.
As a precaution for this often debated "no wi-fi—no play" VDJ issue I have added tethering to my cell phone plan.
Comes in handy and well worth the extra $10 on my cell phone bill.
I've even gone so far as subscribe to the Content Unlimited music plan and have used that tethered phone to help me out of a jam.
Thankfully I was near an LTE tower.
In some areas where wi-fi is available to the public, I have noticed that can be slow as molasses.
The provider has throttled that access or there are way too may people using it when you need it.
The cell phone tethering (with LTE) often beats the available wi-fi.
I have decent cell coverage with my carrier and even the "out in the boonies" gigs usually have me set up with enough muscle-power for a tethering option.
Of course you guys in the big cities rarely have this problem. :)
Looking at the original post-- he said he had no mobile connection, so the tethering option would not have helped him, but I mention this as a reminder that in most cases your cell phone can be a valuable addition to your DJ arsenal.

Posted Sun 21 Aug 16 @ 12:16 pm
my computers wifi is off on every gig until i turn it on to connect to use content unlimited. i have never been logged out, in settings i have it set to stay logged on. Change it in your settings and keep em dancing.

Posted Tue 30 Aug 16 @ 10:08 pm
Glad I read this BEFORE actually paying for VDJ.

Even the possibility of requiring a connection for the software to work is a deal breaker for me.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 8:13 pm
67%