Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Blackbars in videos - Page: 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

personally I like the letter boxing. why? because when I have information scrolling across the bottom of the screen I want it as clear and legible as possible so that chemically altered brains and eyesight can both read and remember it better. text scrolling across a blurred area is harder to read. if the black bars are on the side? oh well. that's space I could use from something else or it's just something that just is.

and to be honest? I've been severely underwhelmed by mix emergency for all that I hear it touted. but is it worth it?... not for $199 when I can use other things to fill those spaces and convey info to customers.

Posted Thu 07 Jul 16 @ 11:55 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I tend to lean opposite of that. Since I have videos of multiple formats, I have a dedicated panel in the plugin for video. In the same plugin, I have a dedicated spot for the text. They don't overlap. I have a dedicated area for images as well. This way, either way someone holds their cell phone to display a pic, it works out right on the screen. The idea of having the video just the video's size and no black is the same with pictures. I wouldn't want black borders on my photos. I like havening my layout determine what is shown so I can keep it more uniform.

Posted Fri 08 Jul 16 @ 12:22 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes but I don't understand how black bars affect your layovers? As the software just adds its own regardless.

The main purpose of rendering to a standard resolution is to enforce the aspect ratio - something most VJs have little knowledge of and therefore may be unknowingly stretching their videos. It's true that many of the video sites out there have no quality control and ARs are messed up all the time (beware of cheap sites), but there are respectable sources that get this right, and of course the labels demand that content is provided in its correct state.

The secondary purpose is so that all chyrons sit in the same position, so the chyron text isn't moving up or down between videos.

I see no reason why VDJ couldn't implement its own crop function on the video preview screens, so you could crop out any black bars automatically or manually by dragging over the area, although I'm personally still unsure of what you'd gain from this.

Posted Fri 08 Jul 16 @ 9:40 am
An upcoming release of TV Prime, has the concept of split video. That is you can adjust a video across panels and display just part of it in a panel. You could also use this notion to eliminate black bars completely and also get other effects like blurring etc. We will have to see how this all works out though. In this screen shot I have the video split between 3 panels. TV Prime also has the notion of synchronized rotation. The 3rd panel is in the process of syncing to the zero rotate point and it rolls in like a slot machine.

Posted Wed 26 Oct 16 @ 2:57 pm
Nice but I don't really gig with a PC anymore, its been quite awhile since I've taken it out.

To many variables on a PC, not that I couldn't handle a crash but I just don't even risk it. Playing out on a PC has me on edge most of the night and I can't really have fun because I'm focused on the machine not acting up. And no I'm not saying Macs dont crash but when it does I usually know why or where to look.

Love what your doing Don but unto theres a Mac version I can't use any of it except for testing at home.

Posted Wed 26 Oct 16 @ 3:57 pm
It's a concept and not a machine specific... your post is not relevant for the concept.

Posted Wed 26 Oct 16 @ 5:35 pm
Ahh wait I see what you mean now, well either way just wish I had TV/TM on the Mac ;-p

Posted Thu 27 Oct 16 @ 1:01 am
I don't know how you came up with that from what I said lol.

This thread is about black bars in video and was just relating a thought and the thought does not care about what OS it might be on :)

Posted Thu 27 Oct 16 @ 1:21 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)