Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Can you include sms as part of ask.the.dj - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Really depends on your crowd I suppose. I use VDJ to provide visuals at various Northern Soul events up and down the country, which includes a bit of text-to-screen. This is not your standard late teens to twenty-somethings audience - most of them are between 50 and 70-odd. Most of them don't do Twitter and have no idea what Whatsapp is, although they understand text messaging.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 16 @ 4:26 pm
I use the Pushbullet app. I get a SMS or Facebook or Twitter, or whatever I config it to work on, onto my laptop screen. I can even reply to it on my Laptop screen.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 16 @ 9:37 pm
djsherz wrote :
Really depends on your crowd I suppose. I use VDJ to provide visuals at various Northern Soul events up and down the country, which includes a bit of text-to-screen. This is not your standard late teens to twenty-somethings audience - most of them are between 50 and 70-odd. Most of them don't do Twitter and have no idea what Whatsapp is, although they understand text messaging.

+1

Posted Wed 15 Jun 16 @ 11:21 am
DjSteveAU wrote :
I use the Pushbullet app. I get a SMS or Facebook or Twitter, or whatever I config it to work on, onto my laptop screen. I can even reply to it on my Laptop screen.

I am trying to avoid having a web based solution because as I keep explaining...

There are a lot of locations where internet is unavailable... but SMS still get through.

Posted Wed 15 Jun 16 @ 11:23 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
In which case a 3rd party solution will work better for you than ask the DJ.

Posted Wed 15 Jun 16 @ 4:00 pm
SBDJ wrote :

Thanks for reading Scott, why can't ask.the.dj incorporate SMS?
The request can still be song name and artist for for the search function. And the name of the sender can be extracted.
What would it take? Format, or whatever to make it possible.
If it's a matter of the SMS being able to be read from a local host webpage or something similar....

I just find it incredibly hard to believe that it can't be integrated.
As others have commented, for those of us with an SMS savvy but not a social media savvy audience it limits us as vdj users.

Posted Wed 15 Jun 16 @ 10:33 pm
mxkiwi wrote :
SBDJ wrote :

Thanks for reading Scott, why can't ask.the.dj incorporate SMS?
The request can still be song name and artist for for the search function. And the name of the sender can be extracted.
What would it take? Format, or whatever to make it possible.
If it's a matter of the SMS being able to be read from a local host webpage or something similar....

I just find it incredibly hard to believe that it can't be integrated.
As others have commented, for those of us with an SMS savvy but not a social media savvy audience it limits us as vdj users.

Can a text file be read???

Posted Wed 15 Jun 16 @ 10:44 pm
Dev team... there has been a lot of interest in this.... maybe the masses do want sms included!

Posted Sun 19 Jun 16 @ 7:35 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Haha, masses... I do like your perseverance though

Posted Sun 19 Jun 16 @ 11:11 am
tayla wrote :
Haha, masses... I do like your perseverance though

+1

Posted Sun 19 Jun 16 @ 1:17 pm
SBDJ wrote :

Kinda have to agree with Scott on this as you can have twitter linked to a phone number so the messages will still show.

I've done with TellyVisuals and the Pangolin app, wroks great.

Posted Sun 19 Jun 16 @ 2:15 pm
mxkiwi wrote :
Dev team... there has been a lot of interest in this.... maybe the masses do want sms included!
Out of 31 total posts in this thread, you have posted 14 times while only ~ 5 people have shown some interest in this feature...hardly the masses. Props to you and your dedication, but I think it might be a good time to let this thread die.

Break down of posts.

• mxkiwi (op) - 14
  • others - 4
  • sirwesley - 4
  • tayla - 3
  • sound insurgent - 2
  • pachN - 2
  • VDJ Staff - 2

Posted Mon 20 Jun 16 @ 2:45 am
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
SBDJ wrote :

Kinda have to agree with Scott on this as you can have twitter linked to a phone number so the messages will still show.

I've done with TellyVisuals and the Pangolin app, wroks great.

And you are missing the point.
Twitter is reliant on internet.
Texting/SMS is not.

Posted Mon 20 Jun 16 @ 3:55 am
And your wrong, both Twitter and Facebook can be used threw text messages.

Research my friend, research.......

Posted Mon 20 Jun 16 @ 9:56 am
And your wrong, both Twitter and Facebook can be used threw text messages.

You need an active internet connection for Twitter and ask the dj.
I am asking for SMS, so that when there is no active internet connection you can still use the request feature.
You can tweet to SMS and SMS to tweet, same with Facebook. But that does not solve the problem of no internet connection for virtual dj ask.the.dj.

So can we please address the issue of SMS to ask.the.dj.

I have done the research.

Posted Mon 20 Jun 16 @ 11:10 am
And youryou're wrong, both Twitter and Facebook can be used threw with text messages.

Spelling and Grammar my friend, Spelling and Grammar.

Posted Mon 20 Jun 16 @ 11:14 am
No need to be a dick when Im clearly trying to help you out and have agreed with you on adding SMS to this........

Posted Mon 20 Jun 16 @ 11:16 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
mxkiwi wrote :
And you are missing the point.
Twitter is reliant on internet.
Texting/SMS is not.

But ask.the.dj is reliant on an internet connection and there are no plans for a local-only version at this time.

Posted Mon 20 Jun 16 @ 2:28 pm
I just want to add a post, and I hope this is constructive and not just "adding to the noise"...

First let me say that Pangolin is alive and well (in business for 30 years), and still offering a text messaging product. In fact we were among the very first in the world to introduce the ability for DJs to do text messaging (started in 2002) and these days we offer a version of our text messaging product that is completely free. It can be downloaded at any time on PangolinPlugins.com.

The free version is quite capable and can be used along with free plugins for VDJ7 and VDJ8, that can do text-to-screen, voting/polling, and do these things and more along with any kind of video, audio, and other media (animated GIF and PNG files, etc.)

I will agree that the hey-day of SMS has passed. In the USA that was between 2005 and 2008. Outside the USA it was between 2003 and 2008. There are still legitimate uses, and, on average, a few hundred people download our software every month.

Because the wave has passed, it's not a good "new business" to get into. However, in our case, we earn money selling laser-related products, which are also used by DJs, and so the money we earn in that business tends to subsidize and fund the text messaging products, plugins, and even some plugins made by others.

Best regards,

William Benner

Posted Tue 21 Jun 16 @ 11:40 pm
SBDJ wrote :

Scott

I am looking at incorporating a solution into text a request that will allow users to send via ask.the.dj if they have internet available.
Can I please have source for the webpage so I can integrate it via android webview.

I figure if I can't convince you to read sms.... i'll cave and use internet... lol

Posted Sun 26 Jun 16 @ 8:58 am
80%