Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pioneer Rekordbox to become "proper" DJ software ...... - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

@groovindj You obviously don't have my level of OCD. if it started life as one of my albums then that's how I have to store it. I just can't help myself. lol

I have been going through all my songs tagging them, but it's a work in progress. All artists and track names are tagged, and I am working through all the genres, but it takes time. I reckon 10 years and I should be on top of it.

I like to use the "go to folder" option some times when I need inspiration.

Posted Wed 05 Aug 15 @ 4:47 pm
Well, the new Rekordbox is on display at DJ Expo in Atlantic City...

Makes me ROFL how all the Serato fans are going weak at the knees over the fact it (in their eyes) "looks like Serato". :-)

Posted Wed 12 Aug 15 @ 6:23 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Pioneer wants to conquer the DJ market from CDJs, DJM-Mixers, Turntables, Midi-Controllers, and eventually the DJ Software.

And although their products are more expensive than any other brand, they still get better sales because they have good following especially from big name artists.

Posted Wed 12 Aug 15 @ 8:13 pm
make it crash proof and theyll have my money

Posted Sun 27 Sep 15 @ 3:10 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Nobody can make a crash proof program, it is beyond the software designers capabilities.
The biggest influencing factors are the reliability of the complex operating systems, and the magic of the hardware design.
It is a miracle that any of it works,

You can take this mass of complexity, and if you treat it with respect can achieve almost 100% reliability.
Amazing !

Posted Sun 27 Sep 15 @ 1:04 pm
Rekordbox dj is pretty cool not gonna lie. Won't be jumping ship anytime soon though.

Posted Mon 28 Sep 15 @ 5:24 am
Just downloaded the 30 day trial. Will give it a spin with my DDJ-SX2 later and report back.

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 11:36 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 12:51 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Just downloaded the 30 day trial. Will give it a spin with my DDJ-SX2 later and report back.

Defenitly report back please, I'm stuck at the day job until tonight, lol!

Downloaded it before I left the house but I couldn't mess with it as I had to run the kids to school.

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 1:46 pm
Done a quick test. It feels pretty solid in use

Actually, it feel mostly like Serato DJ to me.
However, it already has more options than Serato - but of course not nearly as many as VDJ

The GUI is pretty bad (the wrong things are big, space is not optimized and so on), but that will probably get fixed

So... for Serato users that really like Pioneer hardware, it could be a good option

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 2:02 pm
Played about for over an hour. Very good indeed. Much better than Serato. No crashes which is pretty impressive for a first release, and I have given it a good run.

The effects are very slick and the whole program is pretty configurable. Not played with the sampler yet but I think it's an additional plugin?

No way to map the buttons on the controller and it's not nearly as featured as VDJ but then maybe that's a good thing in some ways.

Will use it for one of my gigs at the weekend and see how it goes. So far so good!

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 2:19 pm
Also done a quick test. My first impression:
It looks and feels more like Serato.
Still needs some finetuning (eg. no text on my cdj850, translation errors).
Has a few new ideas I liked immediately (making copy of your library, move your library to another drive, the cdj asks on his display which deck he has to connect to). The export of your playlist to usb is also very good and the OSX- integration is much better than VDJ. CDJ also reacts faster.
But I realy missed the scripting and the adaptions I made to my cdj's very hard. And the GUI is not so nice on a 13 inch laptop. Some items I never use are to big. DennYo made a better skin. I could also not use my Novation launchpad.
But it's only a very limited test.

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 2:51 pm
Testing on my surface pro 3 and so far I think the sound quality is not as good as VDJ8 with the same settings.

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 4:56 pm
Did anyone else notice the 'skins' folder with all the PNG and XML files?

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 6:53 pm
@groovin rekordbox has always had that folder :-)

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 7:02 pm
....but now it's DJ software. :-)

Posted Thu 01 Oct 15 @ 7:12 pm
I tried on both Mac and PC and the results were the same, nothing but lag!!

Another thing I noticed was, I couldn't set my buffer below 5ms because the sound would be heavily distorted. Both machines are i7's and can run SDJ with Pitch n Time at 2ms no problem and VDJ running HD vids when it's not crashing on me.

I'm using a Pioneer DJM 850 and a set of Pioneer CDJ 850's.

Basic mixing was ok but any serious scratchin wasn't gonna happen. Just to much lag.....

Not sure what's going on but until I can get the sound right this doesn't stand a chance with me.

Was really hoping I'd have better result, guess I'll have to stick with SDJ for now......

Posted Fri 02 Oct 15 @ 7:15 am
All in all it's pretty slick and responsive for normal use, and very stable however I haven't tried scratching as that's not my thing. So much more "complete" and crash free than version 8 of VDJ was when it came out.

I can sort of see the point if you got it free with a Pioneer controller (which will generally be the case) but I wouldn't drop just over £100 for something that only works with certain Pioneer gear. Given the fact I also have a Denon controller rules it out for me. The fact it will only work with their equipment does restrict it somewhat, but then I guess it's not meant to be mass market like VDJ.

I know this sounds like a stuck record but yet again this is another software that totally outshines VDJ on the effects side. Guess that's going to be the Achilles heel of VDJ forever. The whole "plugins" thing is totally outdated and needs a serious rethink, they cause instability and crashes. There's not much support or innovation either especially since there's only a small team of people working on that side.

Posted Fri 02 Oct 15 @ 8:31 am
kradcliffe wrote :

I can sort of see the point if you got it free with a Pioneer controller (which will generally be the case) but I wouldn't drop just over £100 for something that only works with certain Pioneer gear. Given the fact I also have a Denon controller rules it out for me. The fact it will only work with their equipment does restrict it somewhat, but then I guess it's not meant to be mass market like VDJ.

Rumour goes free midi mapping is coming around february in RB4.

Posted Fri 02 Oct 15 @ 11:25 am
Well that would certainly make a difference!

Posted Fri 02 Oct 15 @ 11:48 am
36%