Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: HS5500; Track speeds up in Vinyl Mode - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

As described in topic: when in vinyl mode, track speeds up for a few seconds after hitting play, or doing anything to the platter by hand. It's a few (like 5-7) percent (by ear) both pitch and tempo and it's not related to motor ramping to speed as it start as soon as VDJ starts acknowledging the wheel position. To test this, I've set the motorWheelLockTime to 10 seconds, hit play and after the 10 seconds track speeds up and returns to normal speed after another 4-6 seconds. As mentioned before, the speedup occures after any form of maneuvering the platter (scratching, nudging etc.) and it renders the Vinyl mode useless (you can definitely hear few percent in pitch, not to mention the tempo change).

I've already send a ticket to VDJ support team, but all I've learned is that the problem is known and will be taken care of in the future. I started a topic to see if I'm the only one left with the HS5500 and if theres any chance that this will be fixed in forseeable future. Maybe a workaround of some sort. I really don't want to abandon the 5500's as there's no real competition on the marked. Either I'm stuck without motorized platters (Pioneer), or no 4 deck option (Denon), or stuck with a crappy sound quality (Numark). I can't use timecodes as 5500's don't have Hybrid mode. I've even tried Traktor but NI doesn't even bother with motorized platters. Either way I'm stuck with the lesser evil unless people in Atomix step up and fix this.

Posted Sun 09 Nov 14 @ 4:46 pm
Same thing has been happening here aswell.

Posted Mon 10 Nov 14 @ 6:55 am
vjmundyPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Same here, i use sx, and sometimes when i press play The music start very fast, slowing to normal, there is a config causing this issue ?

Posted Mon 10 Nov 14 @ 7:08 am
Honestly I don't think the 5500's will ever work right in midi mode unless Denon updates the firmware which they are not going to do.

Might be time to sell these and move on.

Posted Mon 10 Nov 14 @ 8:11 am
IMO it's nothing to do with the firmware.

Bear in mind that in earlier VDJ versions the HS5500s worked fine. In fact I still have VDJ version 6.1.2 on my laptop for this very reason.

Info can be found (forum posts) about other 6.X versions working well too. 6.0.2, 6.0.5 and so on.

They also work OK with other DJ software, so there's no fault with the decks themselves.

Posted Mon 10 Nov 14 @ 8:20 am
Well if they do work I've never been able to get them to work. Either way I shouldn't have to downgrade just for them to work.

It's been months and still nothing. Really how long is a person supposed to wait???

These days I don't even use VDJ anymore as it's just not up to par for my needs yet. If these ever do get working I might come back but even then I have my doubts now......

Posted Mon 10 Nov 14 @ 8:59 am
groovindj wrote :

They also work OK with other DJ software, so there's no fault with the decks themselves.

Which ones? Maybe I'll give them a spin. Subscription can always be cancelled..

And where can i find the 6.x version that works with 5500's?

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 4:27 pm
As you only have a subscription membership, you're not entitled to use VDJ versions earlier than 8, as they required a full purchase & serial number.

However, if you purchased a full Infinity license then you could ask support for any earlier versions.

The other software is Gizmolabs RPM (formerly known as PCDJ Reflex) and djDecks / PCDJ Dex - which was written by Adion of VDJ 8 fame.

Posted Tue 11 Nov 14 @ 4:48 pm
Well RPM was last updated in 2011 and DEX 3 does not support HS5500. Maybe earlier version did. Looks like we'll have to wait as apparently there's no alternative. What really pains me is that this the only thing that is wrong with VDJ for me, since the mapping capabilities are amazing and i can correct or add virtually any function i can think of or had seen on different controller. For example my old NS6 had this led bar that showed you if the bpm's of songs are set equal. Thirty minutes of coding and bam! there it is on my 5500's.

Posted Wed 12 Nov 14 @ 11:00 am
SGS606PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hi
I have a similar problem with the sc3900. start the track and 2 seconds in you get 1-2 sec of track speeding up.
see my post on sc3900 on 12/11/14 and watch short video clip. is this the same problem?
I sent a ticket in re problem and the got me to post on the forum.
This problem was not there on very early builds. I updated vd8 to latest build and put latest firmware (11/14) in sc3900 but still there
Let me know if this is the same problem
Steve

Posted Wed 12 Nov 14 @ 1:36 pm
Nope not the same problem.

Our problem is the says it's 70 bpm (it really is because I've sat and counted the beats) but our 5500's will play the track at 73,74 or 75 bpm. It doesn't go away until you turn the platter off.

I brought this up months ago and also for me this is really the only problem I have with them...... ✌️

Posted Wed 12 Nov 14 @ 1:41 pm
Well i see the problem varies in nature. Mine speed up but, the slow down to normal after few second. after i manipulate the platter it speeds up again for a few. The problem with 3900's looks similar but in your case speedup is shorter (time wise) and bigger (can't find the right word).

Posted Wed 12 Nov 14 @ 8:02 pm
Welp I've given up hope. I guess these players are just to old and will never really work in midi mode with VDJ.

It's sad cause they are really good players 😔

Posted Sun 23 Nov 14 @ 9:33 pm
Don't give up!

You gotta fight.......for your right.... :-)

They've done it before, they can do it again. The 5500s have worked with VDJ and Dex in the past. It really ought to be possible.

Also, as VDJ seems to be having generic issues across any/all motorized platters (not just the 5500s) it's surely down to the way it's being coded - not any fault with the product.

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 10:23 am
Nope I'm moving on.

And I haven't had any trouble with spinning platters on my NS7......

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 12:18 pm
Ok so it's been months since I've used my Denons, have they gotten any better in midi mode???

I like my Pioneer CDJ 850's but they got nothing on a real rotating platter.....

Posted Sat 21 Mar 15 @ 11:18 pm
I've not tried for a while now, and there have been no updates or bug fixes mentioned in VDJ beta updates for spinning platter units......

My guess is that it's "Jack of all trades" syndrome. A tweak to fix issues with brand X affects the performance of brand Y, and there's no happy medium.

Ideally there'd be some sort of auto detection of the controller, which inititates specific settings for that unit.

Posted Sun 22 Mar 15 @ 4:44 am
We'll I just set everything back up,

Well the problem is STILL THERE after all this time 😭

The only time they won't speed up is when I have the platter motor OFF but then what's the point!?!

I would just like a STRAIGHT answer here. I do realize these decks are old and maybe they just can't work with this newer tech??

If that's the problem please just tell us already. Even if you don't have any plans to fix this I'd rather hear that then be left in the dark.

Posted Sun 22 Mar 15 @ 11:03 am
This happens to on timecode vinyl this been happening for a long time now to especially when pitch quality is on 1 I am a scratcher so I like my scratches tight so on 2 this problem does not happen but the scratching is not as tight the way I like it on 1.

Posted Tue 24 Mar 15 @ 7:10 am
Tried again and the speeding up is still there.......

Posted Tue 24 Mar 15 @ 7:10 am
65%