Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Serato vs Traktor vs Virtual DJ - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

santdPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What is everyone's problem with VDJ 8's effects? Traktor's effects are either horrible or useless.

I have also been critical or VDJ's sampler, now while I can not grab samples on the fly, I am finally happy that the samples sync perfectly to the tracks I am playing. I've waited 11 years for this.
VDJ 8 has not given me any problems and honestly, I have not used traktor since May 2014.

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 12:49 pm
santd wrote :
What is everyone's problem with VDJ 8's effects? Traktor's effects are either horrible or useless.

I have also been critical or VDJ's sampler, now while I can not grab samples on the fly, I am finally happy that the samples sync perfectly to the tracks I am playing. I've waited 11 years for this.
VDJ 8 has not given me any problems and honestly, I have not used traktor since May 2014.

cant agree that traktor effects are useless, i think they better than ours most because they are post fader in you want and mostly transition type effects. that why im looking at traktor or serato, but the main reason im staying here is because i love my mixer and dont want to by a separate soundcard, but if traktor get video i think i might consider it.

Posted Sat 30 Aug 14 @ 11:14 pm
You know it really comes down what software your comfortable with, i have tried all 3. I love all of them. I use tracktor when im strickly play club and mashups. Serato is great for music and video. Serato is a little more complicated but with new controllers being able to use there software its gotten easlier. Virtual Dj allows me to do music, video and Karaoke, usually my choice of software cause i never know what type of customers i have on a given night. This software my be the best overall performance software out there. I'm still learning alot about it, just not enough time in one day to learn it. All software has it pro's and con's.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 14 @ 7:10 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
really... that vid was pointless, can i have my 5 mins back

Posted Mon 01 Sep 14 @ 1:46 am
Ive been learning traktor Lately and i must be honest with my vci400 virtualdj is responding better jog wheel wise maybe that might be my settings in traktor. Other than that Im starting to really like it, I have tried to use it at a recent gig but switch back to VDJ during the announcements. Because of the jog wheel response. But was already impressed with everything else. OK i created my own mapping using the remix decks as a sampler,which i really liked, setup 4 modes including one for freeze/slicer. What i like..The interface is more indepth than VirtualDJ. Basically everything i ever ask from VDJ waveform efficiency, I found in traktor. The Effects have a mode choice insert/post/send made me smile alot, my transitions are way more colorful now. Dont wanna make you own, because if i could i would. If I could write my own software i would. Midi mapping is about the same just different methods. Audio I have to say i like traktors auto gain better, because i havent had a problem with overload and the limiter seems to have the attack/release/knee are set better..maybe because of the NI's history in music production. So i will surely learn this software. Not able to test time code with out ni hardware
But.....
Reasons why i will not leave vdj...
Video
Able to use my favorite mixer with VDJ(timecode)
My vci-400 jogs respond better
Independant samplers ( don't like losing Decks to accommodate sampler functions)

Posted Sun 30 Nov 14 @ 6:09 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
You should have a look at the recent stuff in the PFFX thread, the advanced xfader script is something only VDJ can do.

Posted Sun 30 Nov 14 @ 11:38 pm
espepePRO InfinityMember since 2009
locodog wrote :
You should have a look at the recent stuff in the PFFX thread, the advanced xfader script is something only VDJ can do.

Yes guys ,no conplains ,you should see how this PFFX works its super!!!!!!!!!only VDJ can do this........true........

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 1:59 am
Virtual dj need pro skin Simple skin like midnightblue but better graphic that's what virtual dj need, everything else is nice I would say spot on ! stability rock solid , virtual dj is really fast: loading the track better then traktor on pc and running smoothly . In vdj is the bad thing is just a skin default skin is to much going on,on the front of your eyes ! so traktor know about that thing that's why they keeping that way ,I think the midnight blue skin is better than traktor's layout but traktor got better graphic's !
I think the vdj need just good graphic's designer ! That's all .
I know some people like the default skin in virtual dj I like it for recording ( when I record my mix ) but when you playing I like the best midnight blue skin because i can more relax and concentrate on the controller ,less focus on the pc more focus on the controller just waves and browser and controller. so I mentioned before I think virtual dj should have two default skins or two modes before you start the program this default skin which is now in virtual dj I would name it those modes like this :modern dj pro mode and another default skin something like midnight blue traditional dj pro mode so that's it . that's should keep the old customers to stay with vdj and invite new customers like traktor's and serato users .
If the traktor would have same playlist ,browser like virtual dj i would move to traktor definitive straight away !
my complain of traktor is just for organizing the songs,playlist ( Very poor playlist )but Traktor already working on it they making the traktor 3 !

https://dribbble.com/Josephcornelia/projects/227921-Traktor-Scratch-Pro-3-Prototype#attachment-269250

this is the new traktor skin is a killer for pro users they redesigning the skin, the less on screen it's better ,midnight blue in controller mode in vdj skin it's better layout on the screen70% of browser wow! better then traktor, but traktor got better graphic's .
about serato i don't like it only one reason is to much on the screen rotate so much the less is on the screen i enjoying more . ,nice playlist but too much on the screen going on !
Virtual dj should go with two skins different modes simple traditional mode just like midnight blue in controller mode but with more serious graphic and you are the winners !
i have mentioned in the wish list for vdj8

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/160539/Wishes_and_new_features/My_Wishlist_for_Virtual_DJ_8.html

I know what many people will say you got that already ,well yes just change the skin but that is different most dj's will not search the skins they wanna be surprised straight away do you get me ? first impression is important when they open the program they should be asked witch mode to be used modern or traditional that could change the whole story about Virtual dj I think .
I think two different modes solving the big problem !
I think is good way to go shoulder to shoulder new technology and old traditional together that's bang on !
than the people who like new features in the software will use ( Modern pro mode or modern dj ) and people who don't like new things should use old traditional mode
one thing older dj's knows that Tricks don’t make the DJ – Back in the vinyl days, in clubs all over the land, trust me, DJs weren’t looping, cue juggling, using myriad FX, slicers and filters, and all the rest. This was vinyl, remember. No, the vast majority were playing one tune after another , hopefully in a great order.
this way this should be the software for everybody !
2 main default skins different modes this is the future I think !

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 5:27 am
VDJ HAS good graphics designers, (be offensive why don't you?) the remit of the default skin is to be as friendly as possible to new users (new customers pay the bills here)
I feel the opposite way to you in that the default skin doesn't show enough, but I can make my own and that's the thing that makes your point moot.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 8:01 am
@nicholas123, there's no need to keep posting the same message. I've seen your post at least twice before, about two months ago.

Please don't spam the forum.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 9:18 am
Where can i find this pffx thread

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 10:15 am
It's in bug's oddly, (Maybe it should be moved but it's probably a good thing to keep reminding devs ) probably bottom of page 1 or top of page 2, It should work nice with your VCI.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 10:33 am

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 10:39 am
groovindj thanks for reminding me !

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 5:02 pm
I see it...will test it with vci....but what about the M70 should i stick to your first buttons mapping you wrote for me since the fader are not midi mapped?
Dont mean to go off topic, but have you been able to rewite definitions yet to make my devices deck independant.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 5:20 pm
M70 hang fire on that one, you'll need the xfader (It's a post crossfader FX) to send midi (the M70 has a factory mapping for that, check their site) I'll get round to writing something this week, this new incarnation really is a 1 button on same button off FX.
As for redefining, it shouldn't be needed, (I learnt of a new script to cover that, much less effort)

On topic, my money's on V8 taking best DJ software again at the IDMA Awards and those boys know their onions.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 6:11 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
locodog wrote :

:) Have you actually tried tracktor to know what its limitations are...

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 6:22 pm
locodog wrote :
M70 hang fire on that one, you'll need the xfader (It's a post crossfader FX) to send midi (the M70 has a factory mapping for that, check their site) I'll get round to writing something this week, this new incarnation really is a 1 button on same button off FX.
As for redefining, it shouldn't be needed, (I learnt of a new script to cover that, much less effort)

On topic, my money's on V8 taking best DJ software again at the IDMA Awards and those boys know their onions.

I dont send midi with my crossfader, because all software crossfaders are horrible, so my mixer section remains anologue while my other functions are midi.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 6:38 pm
Sending midi doesn't stop the analogue going thru the HW Xfader, we'll just fake the SW mixer, in fact fake makes it a bit easier, anyway we're Xposting, lets stick to PostFX in the PostFX thread

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 7:50 pm
ill pm you

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 10:12 pm
89%