Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: post fader FX - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello, I like to scratch/cut using the Echo/Delay FXs to create some scratch "echo" feedback in Traktor P2, I cant do that in VDJ8,cuz when I close the crossfader the FX(echo) its also cutted, is it possible on VDJ8?
searched VDJ8 options for fader,effects,didnt found anything useful
here is video of TP2 explaining what I wanted to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Vd0clpxyo
thank you

Posted Mon 02 Jun 14 @ 10:32 am
bump! this is a very cool feature for making scratch effects,and much more,can this be done in VDJ8? post fader FX? for ex:scratch a stab,and the echo fx will keep repeating and fading out...it is explained also in the posted youtubevideo

Posted Sun 22 Jun 14 @ 8:08 pm

Posted Sun 22 Jun 14 @ 8:23 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
The stock echo effect has a mute source which makes it an odd one it's prefader but with a bit of script applied to your faders it can mimic post

Huey if you get a minute could you test this, I'm keyboard only, put this script on a custom dial
level & set 'vLevel' '`level' & var_smaller "vLevel" 0.75 ? effect_button 'echo' 1 1 & effect_slider 'echo' 1 70% & effect_slider 'echo' 3 30% & effect_slider 'echo' 4 70% : var_equal "vLevel" 1 ? effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & effect_button 'echo' 1 0 : var_not_equal "vLevel" 1 ? effect_slider 'echo' 1 30% & effect_button 'echo' 1 0

And map the custom dial to a fader on your mixer, (VDJ calls the custom dials buttons and I don't know which skin you use, default skin 2 deck custom dial channel 1 = custom_button 5, custom dial channel 2 = custom_button 10

Prerequisite echo effect has to be on, strength @ 0% length @ 1/2 or 1/4, echo source mute off
Cut with the up fader full volume 1/2 volume

This won't be perfect (quick idea) but it is set to mute the source at 70% fader and let the echo decay, between 70 & 99% both echo and source play, at 100% just source plays,
If you were happy to manually decay the echo, that would be really easy, & you could un decay the echo too!
Auto decay is a bit harder with no un decay but possible I'm sure.
All this will eventually go on a button to turn a channel fader on & off into this echo style fader just when you want it.

Posted Sun 22 Jun 14 @ 10:10 pm
if you apply the audio effect to the master, then surely this would be "post fader" ??

Posted Mon 23 Jun 14 @ 7:08 am
Indeed it is but it isn't channel specific, that why I think the option for chosen channels to bypass the master fx or maybe W/D for each channel, would be popular.

Posted Mon 23 Jun 14 @ 7:46 am
Actually the echo effect is pre fader BUT post gain so if you had a variable that switched the up fader to work the gain, (you'd have to have the full fader representing 12 o clock on the gain ( very possible ) ) the only FX that needs to be post fader are delays over 10's of miliseconds.

Posted Mon 23 Jun 14 @ 3:29 pm
webedgePRO InfinityMember since 2010
cant believe we dont have this feature...

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 5:30 pm
It's the lack of response to this wish from Atomix that is most annoying. But I've figure another (better) way, It's just finding the right VST or Atomix to make the simplest effect.

Effects are chained in the order they are initiated so if there was a effect plugin that just worked like an up fader and that was the first effect (ONINT) you could then delink your mixer upfader (or even the skin up fader) and link it to this effect, then every effect would behave as post fader.

*effect request submitted*

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 5:58 pm
VDJ is the only with out post fader effects, Atomix time to step up.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 6:30 pm
Show your support in the FX request thread.
Honestly this solution is so simple and perfect that I should win a prize.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 7:02 pm
locodog wrote :
The stock echo effect has a mute source which makes it an odd one it's prefader but with a bit of script applied to your faders it can mimic post

Huey if you get a minute could you test this, I'm keyboard only, put this script on a custom dial
level & set 'vLevel' '`level' & var_smaller "vLevel" 0.75 ? effect_button 'echo' 1 1 & effect_slider 'echo' 1 70% & effect_slider 'echo' 3 30% & effect_slider 'echo' 4 70% : var_equal "vLevel" 1 ? effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & effect_button 'echo' 1 0 : var_not_equal "vLevel" 1 ? effect_slider 'echo' 1 30% & effect_button 'echo' 1 0

And map the custom dial to a fader on your mixer, (VDJ calls the custom dials buttons and I don't know which skin you use, default skin 2 deck custom dial channel 1 = custom_button 5, custom dial channel 2 = custom_button 10

Prerequisite echo effect has to be on, strength @ 0% length @ 1/2 or 1/4, echo source mute off
Cut with the up fader full volume 1/2 volume

This won't be perfect (quick idea) but it is set to mute the source at 70% fader and let the echo decay, between 70 & 99% both echo and source play, at 100% just source plays,
If you were happy to manually decay the echo, that would be really easy, & you could un decay the echo too!
Auto decay is a bit harder with no un decay but possible I'm sure.
All this will eventually go on a button to turn a channel fader on & off into this echo style fader just when you want it.

But it stops soon as you load another track, The key to post fader is it trails even through you quick load of a track.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 7:06 pm
switch off fxs reset on load
And try this one, on a button
cycle "POST" 2 & var_equal "POST" 1 ? effect_slider 'echo' 1 90% & gain 0 : var_equal "POST" 0 ? effect_slider 'echo' 1 0 & gain 0.5
Prerequisites
Echo effect on, length to your preference, strength 0%
1st press trails on
2nd press trails off

I've had a better idea since, Scot has just proved it in the request thread.

AND HERE IS THE PLUGIN TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/16845/Volume.html

Add this effect to ONINT on every deck, remap your mixers up faders from V8's mixer to this effect, edit the skin xml link the up faders to this effect, switch effectresetonload to off. Every effect will be post fader

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 7:11 pm
so this has to be done for ever FX i want to act like this...to much, just give us post fader...its a standard practice.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 7:58 pm
THIS IS IT simple, automatic, every effect used will be PFFX

AND HERE IS THE PLUGIN TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/16845/Volume.html
HERE'S THE SCIENCE BIT
Add this effect to ONINT for every deck eg
deck 1 effect_active 'volume' & deck 2 effect_active 'volume'

on every deck, remap your mixers up faders from V8's mixer to this effect,
deck 1 level
Change to
deck 1 effect_slider 'volume' 1

edit the skin xml link the up faders to this effect
[2 deck xml line 350]
<define class="volume_level" classdeck="left" action="level" rightclick="temporary" orientation="vertical">
Change to
<define class="volume_level" classdeck="left" action="deck 1 effect_slider 'volume' 1" rightclick="temporary" orientation="vertical">
[also Line 359]
<define class="volume_level" classdeck="right" action="level" rightclick="temporary" orientation="vertical">
Change to
<define class="volume_level" classdeck="right" action="deck 2 effect_slider 'volume' 1" rightclick="temporary" orientation="vertical">

, switch effectresetonload to off.

Every effect will be post fader.

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 8:03 pm
what is ONINT

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 8:25 pm
ONINT is a special mapping command that happens only once ON INiTialisation (when you turn V8 on or attach your controller) Go to your keyboard/controller mapping find a blank line click where the key would be , then add the command
a pic is easier
http://tinypic.com/r/2md40f6/8

The skin editing bit you don't HAVE to do for it to work, just so it looks nice , I just want to know how it works for everyone

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 8:40 pm
so can this be done with a button push, mymixers up faders are not mapped to the softwares faders..well none of my faders are just the buttons
so this would be best for my vci400? correct?

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 9:18 pm
Let me see if I understand, you want to push a button and the track to mute and the trails to start, then what?
I might have gone to bed so I'm not being rude just sleepy

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 9:31 pm
I want to be able to load a track on that deck and the trails dont stop...would you need video

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 9:36 pm
8%