Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: TEXT TO SCREEN PLUGIN using only WiFi (DJ provided or Facility Provided) - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Okay developers here's one for you!

I'd like a Plugin that will allow guests at a event to use WiFi to connect to the DJ for 3 things.

1 Make Requests
2 Give Shout Outs
3 Win Prizes in Question Contests.

I'd like it to gather their name & Email Address and save those in a database style format.

The Program can be website or laptop driven.

Ideally I'd take a wireless router with me (Connect it to the Laptop and then give people instructions on how to get the Login info.

name / Email / Event Code

The plugin gives me all the messages in a delay/ storage area and I then select which ones get displayed. Also incorporate language filters so people cant use bad language.

I know FireText and Scolltext both do something like this but it's driven using a modem. And i think there should be a way to do this via WiFi much easier.

Let me know if anyone has a product that already exists that is on a WiFi platform that will do this.

Thanks Guys and Happy Coding if your up for taking on this project!

Posted Wed 16 Jul 14 @ 9:23 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
What you want is an online hosted text messaging service. I have wanted to use Google Voice (free) in this way for some time. I believe there is a way to set up Google Voice with Pangolin messaging software. You can set up a Gmail account and forward your Google voice text messages there. Then the Pangolin IMU will check your email and pop those messages up on screen.

So long story short, Pangolin is close. Trust me, personal experience, you don't want to go the Firetext route. It has let me down more times that I can count and I have personally lost money and reputation over that program. My regulars have seen me fail using Firetext and that does not settle well with me. Which is why I have not been eager to get back into this.

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 9:47 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Sorry to hear of your bad experience Don but speaking as a VDJ and Firetext user of some years I have had no problems with it on all the machines it has been used on.

What I will do is contact the guys if you want and see if they can help with any issues you may have.

@michilson keep checking out the forums, there's something coming soon, very soon! that may just take your interest.

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 12:46 pm
Where can I find a tutorial to begin text to screen for newbies like myself

Posted Thu 23 Jul 15 @ 10:33 am

Posted Sun 26 Jul 15 @ 3:14 am
Just being honest, While I understand the needs to have direct digital communication to the customer. The club has its own WIFI w/ guest access so this could all be done simply through facebook in a few different ways. I mean it's 2015 who doesnt have a cell phone & most are smart phones either of which are always connected to facebook & just a message/alert away. I say this because I use my Facebook for all these mentioned things minus the Questions, But now I got a new idea LOL

Posted Sun 26 Jul 15 @ 9:20 pm
Dear Fatpickel,

Please write to me directly. Go to www.pangolin.com/contact and choose William Benner as the person. I will send you a pre-release version of the new IMU version 7.0, which will be offered in FREE, Essentials, Advanced and Pro versions. The FREE version is still quite powerful.

All you need to do is download and install the software and then go through the help file. There are tutorial videos accessible right from within the software as well. That should help to get you started.

Best regards,

William Benner

Posted Wed 05 Aug 15 @ 11:30 pm
William, when will this be available to the general public ?

Posted Tue 11 Aug 15 @ 8:49 am

Posted Wed 12 Aug 15 @ 10:21 pm
Backflip, just working on one last detail but if anyone wants a pre-release version just send me an email. If you don't already have my email address (sorry I don't post it for reasons of spam) you can start on the Contact form of our web site, and select my name. Those emails come right to me:
http://www.pangolin.com/contact/

Best regards,

William Benner

Posted Sun 16 Aug 15 @ 4:51 am
Hi michilson
Can't go in to too many details here, but I'm a club DJ and a developer too and recently I've been developing an "extension" to the TellyVisuals plugin which allows me to do what your're asking via an Android phone.

For a couple of months now, I've been able to receive SMS text, WhatsApp, Viber and emails while DJing AND reply to them from my DJ laptop, and pass them to the screen via TellyVisuals if needed.

One of the best things is that as long as your computer is attached to WIFI while you're DJing, the Android phone can be elsewhere, as long as it's switched on has a 3G or Wifi (I've left my phone at home a few times and it's stil worked)

It still needs more work to perfect it, but just to let you know it's possible.

Posted Mon 17 Aug 15 @ 11:11 am
Greaaatt!

Posted Mon 17 Aug 15 @ 7:53 pm
Hi DJPete,
Could you tell me more? I have a new Droid Turbo on Verizonwireless in the US. I have been looking for simple Text to Screen. I can't set up something that requires GSM and don't want to spend a ton of money. It seems an Android on LTE should be able to do this with Telly.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 15 @ 4:28 pm
paxwebbPRO InfinityMember since 2009
DJ Pete: any updates to your plugin extension? I am in China and looking for a solution for Wechat message to screen using a VDJ plugin

Posted Sun 20 Sep 15 @ 12:46 pm
DJ Pete seems to have gone missing. Very strange and if anyone knows about it please let me know.

At any rate, since this occurred, I have started to take a look at it and have an experimental TV+ app that I am giving out on email request. For my contact details you can go to my VDJ home page.

http://www.virtualdj.com/homepage/Don_Moir/index.html

The best way to keep track of it is thru the TellyVisuals / TellyMedia facebook group.

Posted Wed 23 Sep 15 @ 11:25 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Hello !

I would like to know what modem that works best with IMU ?
Have been searching on pangolin site, but not any recent updates about compatible modems.
All modems that are mentioned on p. site are hard to buy becauce they are outdated.

Posted Sun 11 Oct 15 @ 8:08 am
Is this so 2010 or what ?
Not a single answer from anywhere...

Posted Thu 15 Oct 15 @ 7:00 pm
Not sure what a 'best' modem would be but I have the Bell Huawei E182E. You can ask Pangolin directly with the contact link given above by William.

Posted Thu 15 Oct 15 @ 8:47 pm

Posted Fri 16 Oct 15 @ 8:05 pm
The best way to keep track of things like this and many other things from like minded people is thru the TellyVisuals / TellyMedia facebook group. That link and my contact information can be found here:

http://www.virtualdj.com/homepage/Don_Moir/index.html

Currently we are looking at an android phone in addition to modems used by IMU and iWall for TellyVisuals+. TV+ supports IMU and iWall. Using an android phone it also supports SMS, Pushbullet, WhatsApp, Viber, LINE, Facebook Messenger, mySMS, and more coming. If you don't care about SMS, you don't even need a phone. You can use an android emulator on your PC. With this user has a choice on how to send messages using their favorite messaging app. This is currently in testing and hopefully we can get this all formalized with a decent user interface and other things soon.

Posted Sat 17 Oct 15 @ 4:31 am
32%