Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: PIONEER DDJ SZ MIDI MAPING - Page: 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i will try ty

Posted Sat 26 Apr 14 @ 11:28 pm
Hi Phantom,

How do route the preview/listen into the DDJ/SZ audio output? If I rout through output 9/10 it plays out through everything max volume?

Posted Sun 27 Apr 14 @ 10:50 am

Posted Sun 27 Apr 14 @ 10:52 am
No this doesn't as the preview listen sums with the cue outputs via the headphone or booth outputs. DDJ-SZ dosen't have a dedicated output channel for this so the only way to prelisten is via channel 3 or 4 even then it is not smooth as separating the cue output track is weird.

I did notice a sound improvement setting the volume in options to 0 and disabling limiting. Seeing that the DDJ-SZ is performing the mixing instead of CPU there seems to be more headroom to work with. Even though Virtual DJ says the track is clipping the output sounds great.

I should try this separate out configuration with the SX an see/hear if there is an improvement.

So far what I am doing to pre-listen is use the built in output of the MacPro with a separate pair of head phones :^) I know it the best work around for me.

Posted Sun 27 Apr 14 @ 9:04 pm
But isn't the SZ a hardware mixer so all your cueing is done on the mixer and not in the software??

I don't have the controller so trying to guess. Maybe phantom will chime in with an answer for you.

Posted Sun 27 Apr 14 @ 9:10 pm
You are correct DDJ-SZ is a hardware based mixer and cueing is done on the mixer except for Pre-listen (the track play button at the bottom). The Prelisten allows you to quickly hear samples of tracks before you load them to a deck. Cue is is also a bit weird as Both the mixer and VDJ engage cueing making it weird to assign a track to headphone or booth out.

It would be nice is VDJ had a hardware mixer mode that disabled all CPU based audio processing such as limiting, eq, even volume (except auto gain) as these features are not relevant when using a hardware based mixer. This will free up a lot a cpu processing cycles and improve sound quality.

Posted Sun 27 Apr 14 @ 9:24 pm
What sound setup do you use ?

It seems there's something wrong configured there...

PS: When using an external mixer setup, internal audio mixing IS disabled. You may see the EQ's moving as they are assigned "fake" commands, but that's ONLY for your eyes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted Mon 28 Apr 14 @ 2:41 am
Okay, I didn't know about the Fake EQ and faders movements cool.
I notice that VDJ reports a clip but I don't hear a clip or saturation is this due to the soundcard being 24bit and the VDJ system reporting 16bit parameters maybe?

Phantom see if you can get your pre-listen to work. I am using 4 channel audio config setup.

Output 1/2 => Channel 1

Output 3/4 => Channel 2

Output 5/6 => Channel 3

Output 7/8 => Channel 4

With the above setup I can not hear the Pre-listen (use this a lot)

If I set the headphone or booth out to 9/10 cue and pre-listen blast out full volume to everything master out, headphone etc.

Weird things happen with cueing when I output headphone and booth output to say channel 4.

Also I had to take off my security warning for loading tracks on playing deck as I get a warning on both decks even it the fader is 100% deck B Deck A warns if I try to load a track on it.

The good news is that the overall sound quality is sounds great especially when I set the gain in options to 0db pad and turned the limiter off. It would be nice to have a global audio processing off mode to disable all redundant audio processing feature and output pure audio to mixers hardware.

Oh and is there away to get VDJ to turn on auto cue on the external mixer DDJ-SZ? I miss that feature. Not a big deal but nice if it can do it.

Posted Mon 28 Apr 14 @ 7:44 am
Studying the DDJ-SZ manual I see that there was is a peak limiter built into the DDJ-SZ. I like that this is probably why I am not hearing clipping.

I believe I am closer to monitoring properly. I need to set the Output of 9/10 to Headphones.

Posted Mon 28 Apr 14 @ 3:25 pm
It seems I cant change the output settings.

Posted Mon 28 Apr 14 @ 4:37 pm
I 4 got about this and the output settings lol I was at -19 usb output so low to stream now its sorted

Posted Mon 28 Apr 14 @ 10:31 pm
I turn the limiter off in the DDJ-SZ and cranked all digital volume settings except for track gain and still no clipping and it sounds great. There is definitely a killer sound card in this puppy.

Posted Tue 29 Apr 14 @ 9:06 am
i hope this discussion stays open ,, is nice way to share info .. I thank all who helped me so far

Posted Tue 29 Apr 14 @ 11:07 am
I am hoping that someone can figure out the pre-listen audio issue and volume control on the sampler volume and I will be on my way.

Posted Tue 29 Apr 14 @ 12:28 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Not quite understood your issue, but will try to provide a few more information.
The DDJ-SZ has actually 5 different stereo output channels. Channels 1 to 8 are routed to the 4 CH of the mixer and the 5th one (Ch 9& 10) is routed to the internal Sampler channel of the mixer.
So you have 5 stereo outputs to route whatever you want. This could be Decks, Sampler and Headphoones of course, in case u need to use the internal prelisten player of the softwares.

Example.
Deck 1 .. ASIO DDJ-SZ .. Chansl 1,2
Deck 2 .. ASIO .DDJ-SZ .. Chans 3,4
Deck 3 .. ASIO DDJ-SZ ..Chansl 5,6 (optional of course i f you just work with 2 decks)
Sampler .. ASIO DDJ-SZ .. Chans. 9,10
Headphones.. ASIO DDJ-SZ Chansl 7.8 (you lose a deck here in case you works with 4 decks)

Routing Sampler to 9,10, it will provide you the ability to control its Volume with the VOLUME knob on the right side of the mixer. (but the Parameter knob will not work opf course)
Having Headphones as a Channel assigned, it will also route Sampler in to the Headphones "Deck"

Hope these make sense to you.

PS. It would make sense to me to route VirtualDJ Sampler to Deck 4 ... (Sampler... ASIO DDJ-SZ ... Chansl 7.8). It will provide you the ability to use the 4 Master Effects too (Filter, Jet etc) along with EQ, recording etc. ;)

Posted Tue 29 Apr 14 @ 1:41 pm
Okay I will try this I don't use mix 4 decks very much anyway so I will route headphones which includes the pre-listen to channel 4 this will all me to cue it to my headphones only. I can't use output 9 and 10 as it will play the pre-listen through the mains for everyone to hear.

I will send the sampler to channel 3 this will allow me to control the volume of the samples as the sample volume is currently non responsive.

The only draw back with this is being limited to 2 decks.

What would be idea is if Pioneer made a routing table in their utility program for such applications as mine. They do this for the inputs but not the outputs. If this feature was available I would route outputs 9/10 to the headphone/booth outputs of the DDJ-SZ and the problem would be solved.

Posted Tue 29 Apr 14 @ 2:56 pm
Okay this works:
with headphone in channel 4 volume done and cue on, sampler in channel 3 I now have pte listen, sampler with volume and 2 decks running. Wish I could get all 4 fecks running but oh well I can function like this.

Thanks.

Posted Tue 29 Apr 14 @ 4:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)