Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: STANTON DJC.4 audio problem - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Timmyg1978 wrote :
There's some high pitch sound in the headphones only and only when powering on the unit, but I wouldn't exactly call it a design flaw as that's the only time that noise is heard. I've been using the unit at home and at gigs pretty much every day since I bought it and the only issue I'm having is with the crossfader but I'm waiting til I can get into town for some contact cleaner before I say too much on that.

That same noise you hear when powering on the unit actually goes out the balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (RCA) outputs as well. It also gets output through every output (TRS, RCA, headphones) every time a new light lights up onboard the unit as well as every time VirtualDJ detects a beat on the beatgrid. Given that no other MIDI controller with built-in soundcard (even cheap ones like the Hercules RMX) that I've ever used has suffered from this issue, I'm definitely willing to claim that it's a design flaw.

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 9:14 pm
Scratch everything I just said, get a ground loop isolator and it will solve your problem, noise was there as I checked without it, gone with it

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 9:34 pm
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What type of ground loop isolator are you talking about?
Show as a picture of it and tell us where, on what cable did you installed it?

This happened with the computer running on battery and only the controller connected to it and just using headphones on the outputs, so having just one common dc power supply you can’t have ground loops.

Is true that a ground loop will give you a lot more noise but this is not the case.

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 10:00 pm

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 10:07 pm
That is a low quality solution that is probably filtering your audio range hence limiting your bandwidth so you can't hear the frequency of the noise oscillation.

This kind of transformers could not heal the signal in your headphones, nor should be necessary on a balanced circuit.

Your solution would work only if you connect your controller to an amplifier, which will have a different power supply hence a ground loop since your RCA cables are not balanced.

It was mentioned that this noise is present even when the controller is not connected to an amplifier and the computer is running on battery.

This will not apply as a solution to the presented issue.

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 11:38 pm
Lex, it's a 350 dollar controller. It's far from high end. Not that it isn't a good controller but youre expecting thousand dollar sound from something that cost a third if that. I mean no disrespect I'm just stating my opinion.

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 11:50 pm
If the old RMX can this should be able to be as good or better, in fact any new recent controller with balanced outputs should be pro, semi-pro grade and anyway should be quiet and distortion free.

Is late 2012 and $350 buys a lot of technology these days.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:05 am
is the controller plugged into a usb 2 or a usb 3 port?

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:07 am
USB 2

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:08 am
its a new product, maybe they will update the drivers or firmware in the near future,. Stanton did pack a lot into that controller for the price, maybe they cheaped out in the sound card. . . I haven't been a big fan if Stanton since I bought final scratch and 2 scratch amps went bad on me in the middle of shows....

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:15 am
LIke I said before, it is a great controller and Stanton is a solid enough name to be accepted at the pro table.
I do hope that this is a rare occurence and most other controllers are working as they should.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:20 am
Timmyg1978 wrote :
Scratch everything I just said, get a ground loop isolator and it will solve your problem, noise was there as I checked without it, gone with it

Unfortunately, the problem is not a ground loop issue. You yourself said you can hear the high pitched noise coming from the unit through the headphone jack when you power up the DJC.4. This is exactly what we are talking about. If you take notice, you'll see that the noise is loudest when the majority of the lights are on during the startup sequence.

Your suggestion for a ground isolation unit would only solve issues with the path to ground. Since this isn't a grounding issue, a ground loop isolator will not solve the issue, not to mention that the ground loop isolator is simply solving a 60 cycle hum issue for you when using your unbalanced RCA output jacks. The fact that you get 60 cycle hum when using your unbalanced RCA outputs has nothing to do with the high-pitched whine that gets output through the headphone jack.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:21 am
djlex wrote :
This kind of transformers could not heal the signal in your headphones, nor should be necessary on a balanced circuit.

I completely agree with you. The ground loop isolator for the unbalanced RCA outputs has nothing to do with the high pitched noise issue that we are all experiencing.

djlex wrote :
Your solution would work only if you connect your controller to an amplifier, which will have a different power supply hence a ground loop since your RCA cables are not balanced.

It was mentioned that this noise is present even when the controller is not connected to an amplifier and the computer is running on battery.

This will not apply as a solution to the presented issue.

Once again, I'm in complete agreement with you.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:23 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
Lex, it's a 350 dollar controller. It's far from high end. Not that it isn't a good controller but youre expecting thousand dollar sound from something that cost a third if that. I mean no disrespect I'm just stating my opinion.

If how a unit sounds correlated to it's price, that would mean that something like the Hercules RMX should sound terrible, when in fact, it does not. I cannot follow the logic here...I mean, take a look at the Focusrite Saffire Pro series of sound cards as an example. My Saffire Pro 24 is capable of the exact same quality of output as the more expensive models in the same Saffire Pro series, such as the Saffire Pro 40. The difference in cost is solely because of the extended number of inputs and outputs on the larger card.

The issue here is related to the circuit that powers the LED lights on the unit interfering with the sound output.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:26 am
djlex wrote :
LIke I said before, it is a great controller and Stanton is a solid enough name to be accepted at the pro table.

Once again, I'm in complete agreement with you.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:27 am
But it DOES keep it from the master out, though that's the only time I get it in the headphones, still possible you have a faulty unit if it's persisting badly after startup. My experience with the soundcard has been good, low latency and audio quality is really about the same as the RMX with the right settings. Granted, it sounds better after it passes the sonic maximizer and EQ but same experience with the RMX

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:28 am
Timmyg1978 wrote :
But it DOES keep it from the master out, though that's the only time I get it in the headphones, still possible you have a faulty unit if it's persisting badly after startup. My experience with the soundcard has been good, low latency and audio quality is really about the same as the RMX with the right settings. Granted, it sounds better after it passes the sonic maximizer and EQ but same experience with the RMX

Once again, the ground isolator units have nothing to do with the problem currently in discussion.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:29 am
on a club sound system it would sound fine, in a studio setting anything less than a 24/96 sound card is unacceptable. The rmx the djc are 16/48 sound cards you're going to pay more for better sound. .

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:32 am
It looks like there are good units out there too, or at list working good enough for some of the owners.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:32 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
on a club sound system it would sound fine, in a studio setting anything less than a 24/96 sound card is unacceptable. The rmx the djc are 16/48 sound cards you're going to pay more for better sound. .

This is getting off topic from the issue at hand. We are trying to resolve an issue relating to the onboard LED lights of the Stanton DJC.4 causing noise in the audio output of the unit's onboard sound card. We are not comparing the unit to other models of a higher price.

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 12:37 am
67%