Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: STANTON DJC.4 audio problem - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
First- Moderators please do not cancel this post, please do so for the previous one.

If you own a Stanton DJC.4 please let me know if you experience the audio issue presented below.
Also, if you have a competent solution please share, your pertinent input will be highly appreciated.

I do have a little sound issue with my new controller and I would like to know if my unit is defective or is a hardware design issue?

I just got the DJC.4 few days ago, great controller, good product concept.

The only issue I have is the midi clock stream bleeds into the preamp as a pulsating noise and it is loud enough to be bothersome, especially when amplified on a big PA. It can be heard in both the headphones and on the master outputs RCA and TRS connections

Let me mention:
I got the controller at the local Guitar Center and the box had the original seal on – brand new unit.
I used the supplied USB cable with ferities.
Installed the windows 64 drivers from the original CD and downloaded/ installed the available DJC.4 mapper for my licensed VDJ PRO 7.05B - have not used the bundled LE version.
I am Running a licensed, up to date windows 7 64SP1 on an I7quad, VDJ dedicated Asus N71J laptop.

First I believed that this issue might be a ground loop issue or USB bus noise, so:
I did check the same issue on the same USB ports with my other controller (the RMX) which is dead quiet
(in fact I tried all the USB ports). I even tried a different computer, my old backup computer and Stanton noise is still there.
I did connect with TRS into couple of external pro mixers and the noise is still there.
I tried running the laptop on battery-no change, the noise is present.

So it looks like this issue can’t be cured with any add-on hardware, or by setup or by improving connection type, it appears to be an intrinsic problem for my Stanton controller.

The noise is present under both WDM and ASIO drivers when VDJ PRO 7.05 is running, if you close the VDJ program and the button lights/midi are off, the controller becomes quiet.

Some user mentioned in the previous post that he fixed a similar problem with an isolator, he probably meant an USB isolator which would not work for the type of signal that is causing the problem here - the midi clock oscillator - the noise that I am experiencing is having the same pulsating pattern as the flashing button lights l.e.d.s

Posted Tue 25 Sep 12 @ 9:07 pm

I recently picked up a Stanton DJC.4, but I haven't actually used it's onboard sound card yet, as I've only been using it as a MIDI controller. When I get home from work I will go ahead and hook it up, and use my best headphones and see if I can hear any noise or other interference when the lights blink and/or are turned on and let you know what happens.

Posted Tue 25 Sep 12 @ 9:55 pm
Next time do not make a duplicate post just because you in correctly titled the post. It can be fixed by a moderator if you just ask.

Posted Tue 25 Sep 12 @ 10:01 pm
THX mods, I will keep it in my mind for the future

Posted Tue 25 Sep 12 @ 10:24 pm
Secret Beats, looking fwd to your future post
Can you also please let me know what audio card are you using

Posted Tue 25 Sep 12 @ 10:26 pm
djlex wrote :
Secret Beats, looking fwd to your future post

I spend some time with the DJC.4 last night, and just as you said, there are definitely feedback issues in the audio pathway that are caused by the lights onboard the unit. Not only could I hear the distortion in the sound when the BPM LED ticks in rhythm with the beatgrid in VirtualDJ, but I also noticed that every single additional light that turns on causes the unit to output more noise in the audio outputs. It affected my audio output signal via the onboard headphone port, and also using either set of outputs (the unbalanced RCA and the balanced TRS connectors are both affected). It does indeed seem that we either both have a faulty unit, or that there is indeed a flaw in the design of the Stanton DJC.4.

djlex wrote :
Can you also please let me know what audio card are you using

I normally use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 for all my audio needs. It has brilliant sounding preamps on it for inputting signals, and the output from all of it's 6 TRS outputs, S/PDIF port (I have used both the S/PDIF and the TOSLINK optical outs), and headphone jack all sound incredible. It's all packaged together in a sturdy metal chassis, and has the potential for nearly infinite amounts of configuration and sound routing using the Saffire MixControl software. I have had the opportunity to use at least a dozen different computer audio interfaces, and I think that the Focusrite Saffire Pro series is an incredible value for the money.

I'm going to keep using my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 as my sound card. I bought the DJC.4 to use just as a MIDI controller, as I need the flexible routing options and up to 8 stereo output channels (16 out) offered by my Saffire Pro 24. It still seems unfair, however, that the Stanton DJC.4 suffers from these flaws in the design on the unit. I have a feeling that every single Stanton DJC.4 is affected by this issue. Stanton should either do something to fix it, or risk earning a (deserved) bad reputation for this unit. I have never had another MIDI controller with a built-in audio interface that suffers from this problem.

The question now is: What do we do? Should we return the units? Should we jointly contact Stanton (probably so)?

Posted Wed 26 Sep 12 @ 7:49 pm
For whatever it's worth, some other people have noticed the problem too, and have reported it on Gibson's forum (Stanton is a Gibson-owned company). I do not think, that they have taken the time like you have to narrow the noise issues down to the lights on the unit. Given that we have jointly confirmed it's an issue with the lights (rather the build quality, or possibly even a design flaw), I feel like we should do something. I would NOT consider performing professionally with the audio card on my Stanton DJC.4 unit at this point. The noise distortion issues are VERY obvious with good headphones, and on a professional PA system I feel like the noise from the lights would bleed into the dance floor, which is totally unacceptable.

Here is the link to the discussion on the Gibson forums for the DJC.4:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/90866-high-pitched-headphone-noise/

Posted Wed 26 Sep 12 @ 8:00 pm

The DJC.4 is USB powered. There may be an excessive draw on the USB port you are using.
Have you tried a Self-Powered USB hub to make the connection to the PC?
Have you tried removing some or all the LED mappings to see if draw of less power stops the problem?

As someone else reported about the DJC.4, using a Power Adapter helped clear up a couple artifacts they were experiencing.
Have you tried a Power adapter? A universal power adapter that can be set to 6V / 1.5A will work.

Posted Wed 26 Sep 12 @ 8:29 pm
Thank you for all the info.
I too got the same sampler distorsion for the audio, if you are not into the HIFI sound, you might be ok with it, but should be noticeable for anybody with a trained year.

To answer to the great VDJ team, I did tried an external power supply and didn't help, also tried a dual usb power cable (from an externel dvd burner) to increase the current to 1amp (standard USB port is rated at 500 mamp)

The DJC.4 is a great idea, well built and Stanton might be able to fix this with a firmware update - will see.

I encounter a similar issue years ago with a red Numark mixer that had a Kaoss pad built in and that was an issue with the clock oscillator for the dac module, but that was almost 10 years ago and the technology evolved considerably since then.

As a controller my Xponent is doing all I need, but its M-Audio ASIO driver is outdated and non functional, plus it lacks the balanced outputs.

The RMX ASIO driver wasn't written very well, but the WDM native driver works like a charm under the windows 7 64bit.

Since I love backlit buttons, I might give it a try and buy the VMS 4.1, but that surface is soooo UGLY, it looks like old cookware.

I even considered the Numark N4 but the button logic is way too different to adjust to it.

And of course there is Denon with a super crowded surface and all the other exorbitant controllers that like most of the DJ gear are loosing 50% of their value in couple of hours.

Stanton kind of hits the sweet point if they can find a fix for the audio, anyway is a great controller for mixing video with VDJ

Posted Wed 26 Sep 12 @ 9:44 pm
djlex wrote :
The DJC.4 is a great idea, well built and Stanton might be able to fix this with a firmware update - will see.

Do you have any interest in jointly contacting Stanton about the issue? If they don't hear from the users I doubt that they will do anything about it.

Posted Wed 26 Sep 12 @ 10:15 pm
I did emailed Stanton and I am sure that they monitor this honest and well moderated Forum, so I do think that they are aware of it.
I will send you in PM my contacts and we could send them a joined message.

Posted Wed 26 Sep 12 @ 10:20 pm
djlex wrote :
I did emailed Stanton and I am sure that they monitor this honest and well moderated Forum, so I do think that they are aware of it.
I will send you in PM my contacts and we could send them a joined message.

If you just provide me the proper e-mail address to send this concern to, I'll gladly send Stanton an e-mail. Is it: service@gibson.com ?

Posted Wed 26 Sep 12 @ 10:22 pm
Yes that is the correct email to submit concerns

Posted Wed 26 Sep 12 @ 10:26 pm
djlex wrote :
Yes that is the correct email to submit concerns

Excellent. I'll be sending them an e-mail shortly!

Posted Wed 26 Sep 12 @ 11:02 pm
My unit does not have this problem, was your ac adapter 2a as stanton recommends? I'm running mine into a powered hub rated at 3.5a, of course that is shared with a few other devices. Hope you find a solution, it really is a great unit & the sound from mine is fantastic.

Posted Thu 27 Sep 12 @ 5:08 am
I've only had mine for less then 24 hours but so far I haven't ran into this. Will keep an eye out for it and post back here if anything arises.

Posted Thu 27 Sep 12 @ 11:14 am
I was thinking about picking up one of these to use as a back up. I have heard so many wonderful things, but this audio buzz problem is troubling. Please keep us posted on how to solve the problem.

Posted Thu 27 Sep 12 @ 7:06 pm
icefather wrote :
I was thinking about picking up one of these to use as a back up. I have heard so many wonderful things, but this audio buzz problem is troubling. Please keep us posted on how to solve the problem.

You could always get one from zzounds, sweetwater, etc.. with a return policy, if you find the unit problematic then you can just send it back;^]

Posted Thu 27 Sep 12 @ 7:22 pm
Timmyg1978 wrote :
My unit does not have this problem, was your ac adapter 2a as stanton recommends? I'm running mine into a powered hub rated at 3.5a, of course that is shared with a few other devices. Hope you find a solution, it really is a great unit & the sound from mine is fantastic.

Timmyg1978, you could be of major assistance to us if you're willing to perform a little test. It would help us discern whether or not there is a batch of faulty DJC.4 units, or whether the problem is present on every unit.

I kindly ask you to do this:

1. Find a nice quiet environment in which you can perform the following steps
2. Turn off your Stanton DJC.4
3. Plug in a nice set of sensitive DJ headphones into the headphone port of your Stanton DJC.4
4. Make sure that the headphone volume level is not set to 0 (although this problem seems to present itself no matter what level the headphones are set to
5. Turn on the Stanton DJC.4, and listen very carefully to the headphones. Watch as the startup sequence of lights flashes across the face of your Stanton DJC.4 controller. As the bulk of the lights turn on, you will hear noise/distortion in the headphones. As the lights fade out, the noise will lessen. If you hear any noise at all while the initial light sequence occurs, then it will confirm that there is indeed some sort of design flaw in the Stanton DJC.4 units that causes noise through the outputs (and that the noise does indeed worsen the more lights that turn on).
6. Report back with your test results

Thanks!

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 4:48 pm
There's some high pitch sound in the headphones only and only when powering on the unit, but I wouldn't exactly call it a design flaw as that's the only time that noise is heard. I've been using the unit at home and at gigs pretty much every day since I bought it and the only issue I'm having is with the crossfader but I'm waiting til I can get into town for some contact cleaner before I say too much on that.

Posted Wed 03 Oct 12 @ 7:55 pm
33%