Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: for the milkdrop in you... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

O.K. knock yourselves out you two's (u know who u are)

any comments? (I got one..."It's this still the only way to incorporate milkdrops?")
now I need to go and restore an sick Alienware and I'm sore..........

Posted Sun 16 Oct 11 @ 10:29 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
It's not the only way ;)

Posted Mon 17 Oct 11 @ 3:01 am
wallterHome userMember since 2010
All the stuff is available on ProjectM pages: http://projectm.sourceforge.net/

Boxee developers already made it for themselves: http://www.boxee.tv/make
Great stuff!

My flash version is working over FT VDJ Robot, but it's connected with hundreds of online files. Enough for me to lose interest ;-) Flash plugin developers could build it inside their plugin environment, but again, it's not my problem.

Posted Mon 17 Oct 11 @ 3:55 am

Posted Mon 17 Oct 11 @ 6:10 am
interesting... (Hi Walter...)

Posted Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 2:52 am
Forgot to say: ProjectM is using OpenGL for Milkdrops, not DirectX. OpenGL version leans on your graphic card, not on the processor and memory, so it's very easy to play with it. DirectX version is known for a few bad bugs, so it's crashing it's hosts all the time (WinAmp, BASS plugins, etc). If you can make OpenGL plugin for PC users, it could be easily ported to Mac later. Hope this can help to someone...

If you want to try how smooth it plays, just install free Boxee software, play some mp3 and click on the arrow (upper right on the screen). If you want it fullscreen, click on Escape. It's just amazing on my Dell i3 with Intel's integrated graphic card. And if you want more Milkdrops, just find them on the web and put them in the Milkdrop folder ( c: program files/boxee/visualizations/milkdrop)...

Posted Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 2:54 am
Vdj PC doesn't support OpenGL. You would either have to convert it all to DirectX or process in OpenGL and then copy and convert the OpenGL textures to DX.

I looked into projectM a while back but didn't have time for that kind of project.

Posted Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 5:21 am
Vdj PC doesn't support OpenGL.

Interesting... Explains a lot of problems with a video reproduction, memory leaks... on some laptops I've had before, HP ones directly. Maybe if VDJ could support OpenGL it would be easier to make Freeframe 1.5 OpenGL plugins. And porting those to Mac plugins later. Just sayin... I wouldn't know for sure.

Posted Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 6:58 am
Flash is not really the place for Milkdrop like effects. It works to a point and its not that it can't do it, but it will start to eat your CPU once the resolution gets to high. Also Flash does not tie into VDJ audio very well.

Doing these things is always a matter of how much time you have to do it, if you want to do it right.

I am going mute on the subject for now :)

Posted Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 6:33 pm
I've already ported Milkdrop natively anyway so its more than possible.

Posted Tue 18 Oct 11 @ 9:16 pm
Here's an pic, showing Boxee's milkdrops CPU and memory usage.

http://i55.tinypic.com/nydzqa.jpg

It can vary from CPU 12% to 20%, higher is when milkdrops are changing. Memory is always around 55%, because it's an integrated graphic card. Again, this is OpenGL version. If you insist on DirectX, you should try presets one by one and pick up right ones, some of them will just kill your plugin in some point.

New version of Flashoid is here and it's open source. Liqwid: http://code.google.com/p/liqwid/

I'm trying to point it to an folder with MP3's on hard drive and to an folder with Milkdrop presets on hard drive, too and play them randomly. There's a bunch of mess cause that guy added some plugins for pictures and tweeter, really confusing.

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 4:25 am
To be honest I didn't have ny real CPU load under DX. I suspect that crashes are down to the milkdrop codebase rather than DirectX. It's a mess!

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 5:19 am
well lets clean it up!!...;-)

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 8:18 am
Will you volunteer? I have a couple of hundreds lines in pure AS, just crying for some action... ;-)))

Posted Wed 19 Oct 11 @ 8:24 am
Well I had a quick look at projectM this afternoon - another wonderful codebase.

Anyway I got it to compile into a VDJ plugin and responsing to VDJ sound. At the moment it's obviously rendering to a seperate window because of the DX/OpenGL thing. This does mean that technically I could provide a working projectM/milkdrop visualisation solution to Mac users quite easily now if I had a working Mac.

The Windows version of VDJ is going to be much more of a problem because of DirectX obviously.

Posted Thu 20 Oct 11 @ 8:36 am
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Can't you render it into an OpenGL render buffer (instead of a window) and then blit it onto a DX9 texture? Or better a texture array, in order to cut the screen into squares which sides are powers of 2 (perhaps several 64x64 or 32x32 textures).

Posted Thu 20 Oct 11 @ 12:26 pm
I'm not that experienced with OpenGL so I'd have to look into it more.

I actually have it working at the moment though by reading the buffer and converting it into a DirectX texture.

Rendering to a buffer obviously be preferable so as to prevent duplication. Some googling required there I guess!

Posted Thu 20 Oct 11 @ 12:58 pm
Does this interest anyone?

Posted Thu 20 Oct 11 @ 7:23 pm
VERY MUCH SO!! That's looks badass Scott! Need any testers??

Looking forward to this badboy
Huey

Posted Thu 20 Oct 11 @ 8:27 pm
Ha,ha..huey's like yeah,I'll do it!...well scott thats in a similar code? I reconize the project M thing,its from the Vlc player? I often wondered...it looks a lot like G-Force ..anyways..good work..
p.s.=I'll Beta! ;-)

Posted Fri 21 Oct 11 @ 9:40 am
8%