Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Memory Warning - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I just upgraded my backup machine with V7 and was very concerned. I haven't had any problems but decided to push it to see what happened. I tried the experiment with AVI files I created and MP4 files received from Promo Only. I played different videos in all 4 decks (of course only 2 videos could display at a time). All videos were between 3 - 6 minutes long. They played flawlessly. I switched back and forth between the decks trying to confuse it by displaying videos from the other decks but no problems. All of the waveforms loaded too. The specs are below.

Frankenstein machine (I built it)
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
4GB RAM
EVGA GeForce GT 220 video card with 1GB DDR3 memory

Posted Tue 26 Oct 10 @ 6:43 pm
I forgot to mention that I tried loading all 4 decks at the same time...Bad idea. It put the CPU meter in the red.

Also I am using a Core 2 duo 3.0 ghz

Posted Tue 26 Oct 10 @ 8:40 pm
billy24PRO InfinityMember since 2007
I tried to set the max video memory to 512 with the registor edit tool but everytime I hit the apply button it just changes back to zero.
It says registor updated but I still get the waveform memory error message.

Any more idea's on this?

Also should the videouseallmemory be unchecked?

billy24

Posted Wed 27 Oct 10 @ 7:55 am
Hey Billy I don't know but I would think that it should be unchecked and maybe that's why its not changin when you click apply. It might be over riding what you type in.

Just a thought
Huey

Posted Wed 27 Oct 10 @ 8:44 am
Nope it still goes to zero even when unchecked!

cheers anyway

Posted Wed 27 Oct 10 @ 9:54 am
I had the same problem with the registry tool. You have to use regedit and do it manually

start>
type regedit into the start search field (windows 7/ Vista)

navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>SOFTWARE>VIRTUALDJ

Select the VirtualDJ folder and scroll down the list on the right till you see VideoMemMaxUse

double click this entry and it will let you change the value

Click the decimal radio button and put in any Byte value... i.e. 2048, 1024, 512, 256, 128, 64

Those Values are in Megabytes BTW

The changes made here will definately "stick" but be cautious poking around in there if you don't know what you're doing you could wreck your install.

Just to be clear I have a Radeon Notebook Graphics card and i fixed mine by uninstalling the drivers and re-installing an older version of catalyst control center AND setting the memory lower.

Good luck!

DjChuck

Posted Wed 27 Oct 10 @ 1:08 pm
Cheers DJ Chuck

Will try it tmw mate.

Posted Wed 27 Oct 10 @ 3:45 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
oups sorry I will fix the Registry Tool

[EDIT] New version uploaded

Posted Wed 27 Oct 10 @ 7:07 pm
This memory warning message is just another add on to problems with the software.

I don't know if anyone agree's with what I'm going to say but here goes!!!!

When virtual dj 4.3 came out it was brilliant, it was solid as a rock, I have five systems with different motherboards, different processors,
different memory values all running xp pro, had no problems, no freezing of video's, no sound issues, no pitch changing, In general everything about the software was great.

Ever since that version I have had problems with all version 5, all version 6 and now version 7 from video's freezing to sound issues to pitch automatically changing to crash guard, you name it I have had problems.

You put a ticket in to the technical support and everything is to blame but the software.

I just can't get my head round why one of the best software on the market at version 4.3 could have not just kept the same platform but just improved with the netsearch and be able to recognize karaoke songs when using windows vista or windows 7.

I have no confidence with any software after 4.3 and this is the only software I will use at a proper gig and I am seriously looking for another piece of software that is stable and works with windows 7.

I just wish it would work!!!!

billy24

Posted Thu 28 Oct 10 @ 6:48 am
Thank you DJcel for the fix on the registary editor tool.

However, even with VideoMemMaxUse set to just 256Mb (confirmed setting with regedit), my main system memory is still being used up while playing video/karaoke with hardware acceleration on.

:(

Posted Thu 28 Oct 10 @ 9:04 am
henryaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I was refered to this thread because of this message

"Decompressing this file in memory would require 65mb of contigous memory.
your system has only a total of 229mb available free segments(out of 4095Mb)
and they are too fragmented to hold contiguous buffer.
Therefore, the son will be loaded on-the-fly from the drive(and the full
waveform preview will not be available)"

modified to what all these threads said... video still freezing and still receiving the above message. HELP

windows 7 64bit
asustek g73jh
i7 Q720 @ 1.60Ghz
8GB Ram
DIRECTX 11
Ati Mobility 5870 1GB DDR5 Video Ram
VideoMemFree (1006)
VideoMemMaxUse (512) Also tried (232), (1000)
Thank you

Posted Thu 28 Oct 10 @ 10:51 am
I found the key to my problem was rolling back my video drivers to an older version. I had installed the latest Catalyst Control Center 10.10 and I believe and that's when all the problems started, I un-installed the drivers and re-installed the original release drivers from gateway (my notebook manufacturer) and it began working normally.

The video max setting only works if you're not getting the memory leak from the driver software and VDJ not playing nice.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know if it's VDJ or CCC not working as it should but I CAN tell you that after installing the new drivers the same thing was happening when I uninstalled ver 7 and re-installed 6.1.2.

DjChuck

Posted Sat 30 Oct 10 @ 1:47 pm
siblueHome userMember since 2007
I found the key to my problem was rolling back my video drivers to an older version. I had installed the latest Catalyst Control Center 10.10 and I believe and that's when all the problems started, I un-installed the drivers and re-installed the original release drivers from gateway (my notebook manufacturer) and it began working normally.

The video max setting only works if you're not getting the memory leak from the driver software and VDJ not playing nice.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know if it's VDJ or CCC not working as it should but I CAN tell you that after installing the new drivers the same thing was happening when I uninstalled ver 7 and re-installed 6.1.2.

DjChuck

What version of Catalyst Control Center ending up working for you???? Because I did a rollback and went back to version 10.7 but am still having the memory leak issue.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 1:58 pm
henryaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Are anyones videos still freezing? after so many changes its still freezing on me. i use AVI files between 50 and 250MB, and BTW, I can't afford to rollback catalyst drivers.. since i use this laptop for gaming as well, it took care of certain bugs i had in certain games. So are we getting a bug fix at all?

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 3:36 pm
well, umm... this is what it says now...
and it says 10.10 so... yeah

Driver Packaging Version 8.632-090702a-084363C
Catalyst™ Version 10.10
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.921
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0678
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.8787
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.0702.1239.20840

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 11:23 pm
well, umm... this is what it says now...
and it says 10.10 so... yeah

Driver Packaging Version 8.632-090702a-084363C
Catalyst™ Version 10.10
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.921
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0678
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.8787
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.0702.1239.20840

Oh but you didnt say when you upgraded to 10.10 it caused you problems??? I had 10.9 and went back to 10.8 but it didnt make any difference so I was curious what version you had went to that worked to fix the memory leak issues.

My setup
VDJ home 7
Asus g73jh
1.6Ghz
i7 processor
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1Gb
windows 7 professional
8gb ram
direct X 11
Ive watched the memory usage with task manager and when am playing my videos it just keeps on going higher and higher then once its really high my videos start freezing a bit then when I load a video the freezing stops and usage starts working its way back up...

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 11:48 pm
I downloaded the drivers fromthe gateway website. ( I have an NV-53 ) and when it asked me if I wanted to uninstall or re-install I selected un-install and then it installed the drivers from the package I downloaded. Although catalyst appears to the same version. It must have changed the driver version?

IDK because I didn't bother to save the info before I did it, all I know is now it works.

DjChuck

*EDIT*

This is the information I got from the Catalyst 10.10 package manual, after looking at my information above it would apear that yes I DID roll back the DRIVER for the card but NOT the CAtalyst Control Center.

*PASTE*
The AMD Catalyst™ software suite 10.10 contains the following:
�� AMD display driver version 8.78 (Windows® XP) and 8.782 (WindowsVista® and
Windows® 7)
�� HydraVision™ for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
�� Southbridge/IXP Driver
�� AMD Catalyst™ Control Center version 8.78 and 8.782

Posted Wed 10 Nov 10 @ 9:20 am
I downloaded the drivers fromthe gateway website. ( I have an NV-53 ) and when it asked me if I wanted to uninstall or re-install I selected un-install and then it installed the drivers from the package I downloaded. Although catalyst appears to the same version. It must have changed the driver version?

IDK because I didn't bother to save the info before I did it, all I know is now it works.

DjChuck

*EDIT*

This is the information I got from the Catalyst 10.10 package manual, after looking at my information above it would apear that yes I DID roll back the DRIVER for the card but NOT the CAtalyst Control Center.

*PASTE*
The AMD Catalyst™ software suite 10.10 contains the following:
�� AMD display driver version 8.78 (Windows® XP) and 8.782 (WindowsVista® and
Windows® 7)
�� HydraVision™ for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
�� Southbridge/IXP Driver
�� AMD Catalyst™ Control Center version 8.78 and 8.782

FIXED
I also tired updated the driver to 10.10 and me playing videos on vdj7 took a crap the freezing was horrible... somehow after hours of playing around with different drivers I have the drive and CCC to 10.7 with that and me going into the registry and change the VIDEOMEMMAXUSE to 128 and finally!!! I no longer have a memory leak going on when I have VDJ going with videos. Am not sure to blame virtual dj for this or blame ATI video cards.. so am woundering if now I even wanna go ahead and buy vdj pro 7

Posted Fri 12 Nov 10 @ 1:37 am
I have been having the same memory issues between my laptop and server. I mainly use videos but started mixing mp3's as well. I had setup Sonique as a default if I played an mp3 without a video and the other night it hit me that was exactly when I started to only get a partial waveform AFTER mixing in an mp3... I unchecked the Sonique as an option when playing a file without video and restarted VDJ and sure enough... No missing waveforms...

The only reason it stuck out this time is that I had only played about ten videos prior to that and had never had an issue that soon losing the waveform...

I'm curious if this will solve anyone else's problem.

I love this software but at the same time it seems that there have been a lot of changes in short amount of time. When I start VDJ now I can't believe the CPU it starts sucking down... Let's start calling these releases Beta's if you want us to find all your bugs... :) Can you tell I am a former programmer? :)

Posted Sat 13 Nov 10 @ 12:59 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
pelucidar wrote :
I love this software but at the same time it seems that there have been a lot of changes in short amount of time. When I start VDJ now I can't believe the CPU it starts sucking down... Let's start calling these releases Beta's if you want us to find all your bugs... :) Can you tell I am a former programmer? :)

Given the number of users without issues it would be silly to call the point release a beta - especially for something so dependant on hardware and user configuration. As a programmer you should know all about this ;)

So if VDJ is using lots of CPU on start then you've got an issue. Personally with VDJ open my system has less than 2% CPU usage.

A couple of questions if I may:

* What screen resolution is your desktop running at?
* What resolution is the skin you are using?
* Does the CPU guzzling happen before you've activated video?
* What is actually using the CPU power according to process explorer?

Posted Sat 13 Nov 10 @ 2:24 pm
44%