Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Question for DJ Cyderhouse

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey Cyderhouse. I got a Q for you. Im planning to buy a completely new pc or build one. What would you recommend, a Desktop or a Laptop? Considering the use of it mainly for Djing? i noticed your answer for a post on the hardware support forum and thought i could ask you, also, i saw the excellent setup you have...i saw the pic in your blog! Waiting for a reply.
thanks
DJ Aditya

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 3:11 pm
Well DJ aditya there are a few questions you should answer yourself first. I'm a computer technician as well and one thing you must ask yourself is weither you want a desktop or laptop.

A desktop PC will give you a much better performance then a laptop although it gives you extra weight if you want to lug it around from gig to gig.

A laptop is not as powerful since everything is powered mostly by the CPU but is very lightweight and easy to carry around.

I'm sure Cyderhouse can say the same thing although another alternative you can look into is a rackmount case so you can mount the desktop inside a 19" roadcase along with your amp (if you have it racked in a box)

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 3:33 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
3U rack is the only way to fly imo.
No limitations to deal with, ever.

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 4:16 pm
I've been running dj software off my laptop for about two years now. For running purely music it's great, but hard drive space quickly became a problem for me. I only have a 60 gig in my laptop and a little over a 100 gigs in actual mp3 files. I've solved that by dragging along a removable hard drive.

Now that I'm venturing into video, the laptop isn't cutting it for me anymore. If anyone can recommend a laptop that can run VDJ playing videos all night smoothly, please let me know. I'm kind of in the same boat you are right now, but I'm leaning towards a rackmount.

Does anyone know of a good lightweight rackmount case???

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 4:57 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I agree. I remember the endless debates over which was better to use. Desktops are not only more powerful but generally easier to maintain and keep up to date. I've been saying this for years. Its good to see it finally sinking in.

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 6:10 pm
CyderHouse,

you said: "desktops are generally easier to maintain and keep up to date"

no offence, but i was curious: in what way would a laptop differ from a desktop concerning this matter?

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 6:28 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
say your favortie dj software upgrades to a new video feature, and you notice you video card just isn't up to speed. In a desktop you can add a new card. Or since most laptops have slow hardrives defag and things like it will take longer on a laptop. The final example is due to the modular design of a desktop if one part fails say the monitor or you spill a drink on your keyboad, you can just replace that not the entire machine, or having to send it back to the factory.

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 6:32 pm
Thats Exacltly what i think...just wanted some backup from you pros!
the word is Expandability! And its easy! Powerfull...The word "Powerhouse" has more meaning to a desktop than a laptop....no offense...
thanks DJs!
MIX ON!!

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:00 pm
Took your medicine today din'tcha.....

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:00 pm
hey mp3jrick! Cool rackmount there...i would like to know how to get one of those done and how do i go about it...i really dont know much about rackmounting...but its very convinient...
did u construct it urself or is it available somewhere..i dont live in the usa..

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:09 pm
I built that with the help of Jason and Jeff Kethley (VJ Live owner).
The chassis if 15" deep and I have 3 SATA 300's in it now.
I have $2500 into that unit.
No need to update it yet............

The Guts: I have moved 2 drives under the dvd and added a sata card, other than that it the same.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p34c0ea55629fa8000819726c06ed99cf/f9ca34c9.jpg

These guys are great to deal with.
http://www.kricomputer.com/shop/index.php/browse/d0bf107adad54a79951587e685967ac5/db491934ff24b0ce0002124578c8306a429f4c1f
I know of one guy in the UK that would build you a unit, and a few in the US.

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 8:21 pm
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 9:12 pm
Another thing never to forget is the cost of repairs!

Laptops are definatelly not cheap to fix compared to a desktop.

the motherboard on a laptop can range between 800-1500$ Even on an old Pentium laptop.
These are things to consider and if you want to stay up to date with all components then the desktop would be best suited for you.

Personally I don't mix videos and am looking into carrying the less possible so now my roadcase with 2 TTs and 1 laptop is all I need to carry. No more need to carry around 200-300lbs of vinyl for each gig. Nor do I have a bunch of cables running around for the monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. Everyone has their own preference on what to use, I don't bring anything that is rackmounted other then my mixer so the rackmount desktop isn't an option for me so the laptop serves me well.

Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 1:36 am
Very good point WDVL.

Another equalizing point is:

I use powered speakers.
So if you subtract off the amp rack, cd player/controller, cds and cases it's a draw.
Only with this system I have 18K karaoke tracks, 25K mp3 tracks and 5k mpeg1's with 200G left over for future use all in one box with one power cord, L+R channel output, and video out to connect.

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 2:49 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)