Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Djing and Production?????

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

What sound card should I get to use with VDJ and also use for some production? Any suggestions?

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 11:23 pm
Hello

Welcome...what kind of production are you talking about?
Regards
Andre

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 12:03 am
Hey Andre,

Im not sure how indepth I will get into production since I dont really know too much about it and I am just starting. However I want to be able to mess around making beats and also do some fine tuning for my mixes. Ive heard programs like fruity loops are good for making beats and programs like acid are good for finalizing and mixing but I dont really know anything about it. Do you know what kind of hardware I need to use programs like these? Can it be all controled from the computer or do you need external hardware? And if so what do I need?

If you can help me with any of this or point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 1:06 am
Well i do all my work with VDJ,its getting easier and easier to remix live ....for ex "Last night a dj saved my life"MC Mario and Cindy Chavez was done with vdj and laptop.I did the beats at home then went to the studio and patched into the mixing board sync up with the track and created the mix within a few hours.
You can do all this with a simple pc no other hardware needed
Regards
Andre

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 1:18 am
yo man!
i've been producing now for a while, and have tested various pieces of software, so here is my two cents:

Steinberg Cubase a.k.a "The Professionals Choice"
This seems to be what all the pro's use in their studios. However, i personally feel this can be rather chunky and too much too soon for just starting.

Fruity Loops a.k.a "WTF Is That?!"
This NEVER gets the recognition it deserves, altho if your into trance and electronic music, there are many professional producers using this =) This is my weapon of choice, it has the power needed, for the cost effectiveness that I come to respect with the smaller programmers out there.

Other software: (Acid, Soundforge, Dance eJay, Magix Music Maker etc)
Now these aren't really for production. Acid, eJay and Magix are all loop arrangers. Soundforge is useful in production, but not needed.

There is also Reason, again widely acclaimed, but in my opinion, it doesn't have the expandability of the others (although, I havn't used the new version 3) with regards to VSTi, this left tracks sounding uninspired and very samey.

The REAL point of production, comes down to the plugins you use and how you use them.
For example, you could use some free VSTi, make some damn wacky sound over a beat, and come up with the best song ever.. or use a JP emulator and use the same saw sound thats been hammered for years =)

Now others here may disagree with me, but as mentioned earlier this is ONLY my personal opinion, others please feel free to disagree and bring some arguments to the table =)

In total honesty, try them if you can, feel what works for you AND only you, no one can tell you how to make music as you would only end up making what they do, damages the whole originality factor =(

Cheers, Steve

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 12:39 pm
Thanks for all the input guys. Im gonna check out some of those programs as soon as i can. Just one more question...... what soundcard? I finally ordered my denon 3000 today and now all i need is vdj and a soundcard which i will be getting withen the next week. My question is what sound card should i get? I have read posts about the maya 44 which sounds good but is there anything else that has more inputs/outputs and is usb? I also want to be able to preview samples....I wrote a post about this earlier but I am still unclear about how I can do it. Can someone explain to me in detail what I am gonna have to buy/do to preview samples? Is there anyway to make the samples go through an input on my mixer and cue them through there? How do people like the maya 44? What other options are there?

Thanks again guys.All advice is welcome. I cant wait to get started.

Thanks In Advance :)

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 5:36 pm
MrSlidePRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'm using the Maya 44 USB soundcard here at my laptop. It works great with Virtual DJ, as well as with FL Studio!

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 6:02 pm
Hy

If you plane to do some studio or production work i would chose an Motu Traveler or an Motu 828 mkIII. An other possibilety is to use some Yamaha mLan stuff like i88x or even 01x. I got a complete mLan setup and it works fine with the i88x.
A disadvatache is that you can not share the soundcard with other apps like Cubase. But all these "cards" need Firewire connectons.

That would be a verry good thing to use the VDJ for productions as an VST plugin under Cubase.

Greetings da rockka

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 2:53 pm
Motu devices are incredible great toys, but when it comes to music-production.. it doesn't really matter how good your soundcard is (or your dac/adc converters).

all of the things you do to a digitalaudiofile stored on a harddrive, will happen digitally!
and when your work is finished, it will be exported digitally to a wav-file, mp3 or audio-cd or something like that. On your music-production system, the soundcard is only used to 'monitor' what you are doing, and doesn't affect the soundquality of your work at all.

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 4:28 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
unless your recording samples & then you want a really good A to D input...

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 5:05 pm
that's true! but that's the only reason why you should have a quality soundcard. once you have all your waves on your HD, you don't need an expensive soundcard :]

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 6:21 pm
hey guys..thanks for the responses....i went with the maya since that seems to be the standard for vdj and since im only starting to mess around with djing and production. And so far I am very happy with it and my tccd setup. Decibel....you said that u could use vdj as a vst plugin for cubase? I am unfamilier with cubase....what would this allow me to do?

Thanks

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 9:01 pm
Just in case youre wondering cubase plugins do work with vdj.
i can confirm that but im not sure you can use it the other way around,i would be curious to find out also
Andre

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 9:24 pm
Hy

It's was no realy correct. I said I wisch to use the VDJ as an VST plugin.So I could easy sinc tracks to the host sequencer program. Now i use an Terratec DMX 6 Fire for the VDJ and Record the Output by an 01X input.

You're right, for Productions "just" with already recordet Samples you don't need a high end sound card.
I use to play real analog instruments and I use external effects so I need to have good IOs.

But one thing is clear, VDJ is even with the need of two soundcards (for studio apps) the best tool for scratching and dj effects.

Greetings da rocka

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 1:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)