Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: "Skipping... Possible causes and solutions" WIN XP - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Any other programs worth a look? I tried a few but the problem is I really like the fact that with the Hercules controller and Virtual DJ I can spin thru a tune, or back thru it, but with all the other programs I tried it won't work the same way. Any ideas?

Posted Sat 05 Mar 05 @ 8:57 pm
Think I found the solution. I'll keep playing to see if it still works but looking good so far. Just go to control panel / sounds and audio devices / audio / advanced / performance, and set it to no hardware acceleration. Like I said, I'll keep buzzing with it and post again whether it's still holding together or not.

Posted Sun 06 Mar 05 @ 1:36 am
paddyvHome userMember since 2005
theres loads of great software out there man n ye can use the console with most of em cause all it is, is a midi controller like a keyboard ect and ye can program most of the buttons to have functions

the new version of mix meister is very good for mixing but its not as hands on as the likes of vdj

just tried that with the software acceleration n it worked a bit but there was still skipping

i want to use the console for dejaying in night clubs along with vinyl and cds but i dont think its gonna happen anytime soon at this stage

Posted Sun 06 Mar 05 @ 4:18 am
GOT IT WORKING!!!

Try this:

Set your audio performance back to the highest. Then go into Control Panel / System / Advanced / Performance settings. Under 'Visual effects' set it to 'Adjust for best performance'. Then under 'Advanced' set 'Processor scheduling' to 'best performance for programs' and set 'Memory usage' to 'best for system cache'.

Then in 'Display Settings' set your resolution to 800 X 600 and don't set anything as a wallpaper.

Now open Virtual DJ and see if it works. You can still use the 1024 X 768 default skin. It'll set the resolution back to 1024 X 768.

Don't know why but this works for my laptop. It's working fine now.

You probably don't need to do some of these things but this is the way I did it and it's working so I'm not fucking with it anymore!

Posted Sun 06 Mar 05 @ 2:38 pm
You know, you two have some nerve criticizing and promoting the use of OTHER DJing software on VDJ forums. I have had the software for some time now without ever having a crash. That doesn't mean that you maynot of had crashes, but please don't generalize this great software as being a PIECE OF S***! It's not. If the Demo isn't working right, then quit critizing and get the full version and give it a try. You wont be sorry...I 'm not.

If you are going to criticize...try to make it constructive.

MS

Posted Sun 06 Mar 05 @ 6:29 pm
If you'd bothered to read any of my other posts you'd realise I've been using this software for a while now and love it. I upgraded to a new laptop recently and that's when my problems started. So I know what I'm talking about and think I have every right to speak my mind here. I was looking for a solution to my problem, not just mouthing off. I've now fixed it, after hours of trying, and am now a happy camper again.

Peace

Posted Sun 06 Mar 05 @ 7:45 pm
paddyvHome userMember since 2005
dj maddsound look at the amount of times the skipping thread has been read over any other thread, it doesn't take a scientist to work out that something aint right there.....

samma thanx again mate, that improved mine slightly but its still unuseable

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 4:03 am
Unless you guys are over 60 years old I doubt if you have been working with computers for as long as I have been. It took me a few years to believe that shutting off your computer was a bad thing but I am definitly a hard core computer user and I have 4 networked systems and none of them have been turned off except for once in a great while if I am cleaning or adding hardware.

I will admit that the more powerful processors require a lot more cooling but they are designed to get a lot more cooling compared to 20 years ago. When I started working and building computer systems I was running a Radio Shack (other than the commodore dual drive systems that I built) and it had a 8" floppy drive and 8 meg of ram with no hard drive and the operating system was CPM. No windows, Dos etc.

By the way I have only had one system that has had to have anything repaired due to overheating. Of course I build them with enough vent and fan capacity.

I vote to leave them on.

Oldie But goodie

djkaraok

Posted Thu 26 May 05 @ 11:39 pm
djmoosePRO InfinityMember since 2005
Just an addition to all of this...

I would say that MOST of us are using Virtual DJ on a laptop. Simple fact of the matter is that XP on an ACPI LAPTOP system seems to almost ALWAYS put a ton of devices on a single IRQ. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 and there are like 5 things on irq 11...including my firewire port. I use the M-Audio Firewire Audiophile as my soundcard...and I was getting skipping and popping when playing ANY audio...in Virtual DJ, winamp, WMP...anything.

Now, you'll hear SOME people claim that with ACPI, IRQ sharing is NOT a problem. However, the simple fact of the matter is that with high-end equipment like quality sound cards, high-end video cards, etc etc....it DOES matter... It's just a shame that with ACPI, there is NO WAY to change a device's IRQ.

Now, in MY case...the culprit was my WLAN card in my mini-pci slot (which, of course, was also on IRQ 11)

Disabling this makes everything smooth as butta....

So, my suggestions are:

1. Try to disable anything else possible that's using the IRQ as your sound card.
2. If rebuilding, change the HAL to "Standard PC" insted of "ACPI" so you can manually change IRQs. (google this...too involved for this thread)

I have a seperate hardware profile for my laptop with everything that possibly could be disabled that was sharing the IRQ with my firewire adapter...and just boot into that when I gig.

My 2 cents....
moose

Posted Thu 23 Jun 05 @ 4:57 am
with adaquate cooling, leaving a computer on isnt a problem, like djkaraok said, if youre running on a last-gen machine without an independant cpu cooling unit then cpu damage becomes more likely when leaving it on for extended periods of time. my cpu is a 640 p4 3.2ghz, 1gb ddr2 ramm (2z512,) gerforce 6800 256ddr2, and soundblaster audigy 2, everything works perfect. my only source of skipping is beatlocking out of synch with the beat accidently...

Posted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 3:12 am
Hey can someone help me out. I just installed a usb sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX) and now whenever I play a song on VDJ, it jump 4 beats by it self at randome times. I uninstalled it and just used the sound card on my computer like I have been for a while now and it worked just fine. Does anyone know why it is doing this?
Comp Specs:
Processor: Amd Athalon 3400+
Ram: 1 Gig ddr
Video card: GeForce 6800
Sound Card: Sound Audigy 2

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 6:17 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Weird... I will check it. Maybe it's the 48KHz thing. But let me see. Could you change your Audigy 2 to a 44KHz sample rate? I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and in there I didn't have that option. I wonder if you can?

Posted Wed 24 Aug 05 @ 8:25 pm
Ok I finally fixed the problem. All I had to do was use an older driver and it worked out fine. As for the 48KHz thing...I looked and I didn't find any option to change it.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 4:52 pm
Happy to known finally get it working.

These sound cards have a very good sound. They only have 48KHz or up for sample rate to give us a crystal clear sound. I have some doubts if VDJ manage these cards fully at 48KHz.

Posted Thu 25 Aug 05 @ 6:06 pm
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8100 and has the following specs: 30 gig HD, 500 MB SDRAM PC133, Pent. 1.13 GHZ processor and a 16 MB video card. It's old I know!

Anyways I was having skipping problems with the newest version so I downgraded to vesion 2.06 and the skipping stopped. I then determined that anything higher than version 2.06 skips. Even version 2.1 It kinda stinks because I can't use the new features, but at least it doesn't skip anymore. My friend is running the newest version of VDJ without any problems. He has a better system though with 1 gig of RAM. I know that if I decided to upgrade to a better laptop I could probably run the new versions without the skipping problem.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 4:09 am
The newest version had another settings by deafult. You have to slow some options because of your computer specs. More than memory the processor speed (PIII 1.13GHz) and the internal clock (133MHz) plus the video controler are stoping you to fully use the VDJ. If you uses Win2k or less even worst.

When you do the upgrade, look for something with high speed in everything (as much as you can affort). For example, I find these fine:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/generic_subcategory.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=computers&category=notebooks/hp_pavilion/zd8000_series&subcat1=rts&catLevel=3

You could get P4 HT 650 (3.4GHz), DDR2 Memory, PCIe ATI X600 256MB VRAM and 5400RPM in HD in one of them. Buy one with WinXP Pro SP2 (less problems). You can custumize what you want in that URL, only don't change Video 256MB, HD 5400RPM, Memory DDR2.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 3:21 pm
i didn't have trouble with virtualdj but i have chanced something about my computer
i using now raid-0 with a fresh windows xp installation

but i getting the skipping problem since i have install a raid-0 HD

my specs:

p4 3 ghz
1.5 gig ddr dual channel
asus p4c800 deluxe
soundblaster audigy 2 zs & soundblaster live player 5.1

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 11:48 pm
Did you use a raid card? or do the raid arrange by software?

Check this for test proposes only. Change Reactivity to LOW... then run again VDJ...

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 4:15 pm
I use the raid controler of my motherboard

"onboard Promise PDC20378 RAID Controler"

asus p4c800 deluxe

The Speed of the disks are good

2x maxtors 250 GB 7500 RPM

I can write with more then 40 MBPS trough gigabit network
I Don't know the exacly speed of my write and read speed

I dont understand this: Change Reactivity to LOW...

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 6:27 pm
In VirtualDJ, go to Config->General->Reactivity in there select SLOW or Medium and check if the problem persist.

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 7:10 pm
79%