Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Passive Speakers vs PA Speakers strengths and weakens - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Absolutely!!!!!!! Terry.... ;-)

The CV has a limit led which comes on red and the Mackie has a limit led which changes from Green=signal to Yellow limitter active.

The rest should to some extent be a case of reading the manuals. However the manuals for the CV and Mackie stuff do not provide information on input sensitivity/ matching. (too bussy quoting output powers i'm afraid)

So here goes. A very rough setup! Turn all the level controls on the speakers to minimum. Adjust the mixer/audio interface to provide a 0db output ( with your setup look at the level bars on the VDJ skin, 0db is when the bars are just reaching the top occasionaly) and slowly turn up each speakers level control until the limit indicator just flickers "ocasionaly" (You may want ear deffenders for this bit). then return the master level on your Mixer/audio interface to minimum and your all set. This is by no means an acurate setup but it should be safe. If you hear any audible sound distortion back off the outpu level on the vestax.

The CVs do not have a limiter built in so if that light is flashing on more than off ,TURN IT DOWN or they will shut down. The Mackies do have a limiter built in but the same rule applies.

Daz

Posted Wed 28 Oct 09 @ 2:00 pm
When you are buying passive speakers, the math is easy. I have 2 carvin speaker tops that handle 400 watts rms in 8ohms . I bought a QSC plx 2402 amp to match these speakers. This amp pushes 425 watts RMS in 8ohms. I also have 2 JBL mpro bass bottoms that handle 600 watts rms in 4 ohms. The same QSC plx 2402 pushes 700 watts in 4 ohms each channel. ( this is not a bridge) You buy amps based on how much your pushing. A few years ago i had 2 JBL eon 1500s that were 225 watts RMs in 8ohms. The amp i bought for those speakers were the Crown CE 1000. The crown pushed 275 watts RMS in 8 ohms. Speakers have RMS & peak. You go by the RMS power " Not the Peak Power "

If you are bridging speakers, thats a differnt story. Hooking up speakers parrallel, the Ohms drop from 8, to 4 or 2.. Example.. 2 speakers that are 8 ohms each hooked up parrallel are now 4 ohms. 2 speakers that are 4 ohms each hooked up parrallel are now 2 ohms.

Powered speakers are good because they have their own matching amps. I use passive because i like using A BBE sound maximixer. I have my PL8 power conditioner plus the BBE and 2 amps.

Speakers have RMS power and Peak power. RMS power is what the speaker can hadle continously.. The Peak is the max that the speaker can handle in a short burst.

Posted Wed 28 Oct 09 @ 6:12 pm
isrortPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Daz, as i said my equipment will arrive shortly from the US. when it arrives, i will follow your advises in order to tune my Speakers... and i hope that i understood well. jejeje.. in advance thanks again for sharing your knowledge, and everybody here.

Caliente... Sounds easy the math thing, but the passive arrangements seems to me (let me use these words)... is the pro & artesanal-way to maximize the power. Like charlie said, the application is important too, i never saw an active arrangement for example in concerts, or massive audiences.

Posted Wed 28 Oct 09 @ 11:49 pm
Callente, your amps don't seem powerful enough to me. When everyone went digital they nearly doubled the size of there amps so that they had the same power as they used to have playing from CD's this way they could run at a little over halfway still without clipping.

I bet your nearly maxed out with those amps and it's not that loud either especially since your playing from mp3, or at least this is what happend to me when running similar specs.

I have 650 at 8 and 1200 at 4 ohms from two xti 4000's and have to watch for the clip lights using a RMX for a sound card which I know isn't great, What soundcard are you using?

Posted Thu 29 Oct 09 @ 3:23 am
Note to anyone running at 2Ohms.

Keep your speaker cables as short as possible and use realy heavy cable or you will drop lots of power in the cable.

Cable lengths longer than a couple of meters should be avoided.

Also be aware that amps rated to drive 2Ohm loads wil only do this in stereo. If the amp is switched to bridge mode the minimum impeadence that the amp should be connected to is 4Ohm's

Daz

Posted Thu 29 Oct 09 @ 4:16 am
This is what i use when i dj a party for 100-150 people. I bring my 2 carvin speakers that push 400 watts rms each one and 1 JBL mpro bass bottom that pushes 600 watts rms. I have 4 JBL Mpro bass bottoms but i bring 1 or 2 depending on the gig. I have a 12 space rack with 1 BBE sound maximixer and a DBX crossover. 1st amp is a QSC plx 1602 thats pushing 300 watts rms for the speakers and the 2nd amp is the QSC plx 2402 pushing the subs @ 700 watts per channel in 4 ohms. My speakers, i would have it at 75 % loudest. I never had a clip. I know i can also use the 2402 for the tops because its 400 watts rms but it sounds good with the 1602.

The soundcard im using is the serato sl1 box. I could sell my 1602 amp and get another 2402 for the top speakers but it sounds good enough for the parties i do.

Posted Thu 29 Oct 09 @ 3:59 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
For those that missed it, isrort is now a Pro user....see what helping does for VDJ?... ;-) Well done my friends!

Posted Thu 29 Oct 09 @ 5:18 pm
Happy days. Another convert to the best.

Good lad.

Daz loves you pro's. VDJ Rocks!!!!!!!

Thanx T its nice to know our efforts can bear some fruit.

No chance of experienced pro user I suppose because i'm not. But I love helping where I can, just dead good amateur would do. LOL ...:-)

My area is realy analog audio, I have been fixing , repairing and designing on everything from concert PA to Vox,Orange,Sound City, and Marshall valve amps so If anone has a question in that area feel free to ask. I DO POWER, anything from 100 to 10000+Watts , Valves to class H ,I can help.

Daz

Posted Thu 29 Oct 09 @ 5:25 pm
isrortPRO InfinityMember since 2009
hey guys... i'm really happy and i cant wait to read all the manual to understand better and get all the juice from vdjpro... my vestax vci-100 just arrived and just waiting for my echo audio interface and my speakers... and ready to rock!!!!!!

thanks again, i really appreciate your support.

Posted Thu 29 Oct 09 @ 11:47 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)