Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Serato SL3 sound card on Virtual DJ [compatible with new asio driver] - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Can anybody tell me if the new SL3 works with virtual dj?,

They also claim it has better sound output , anybody noticed the difference?

Posted Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 12:46 am
Oh yes, it works, I've got my SL3 inline between the mixer and the players.

The SL3 interface builds upon the 5 year old platform of the SL1. It is important to note, the SL3 does not replace the SL1, but offers a solution for someone looking to realize a fully digital interface that expands the SL1’s capabilities in options, components, and ability. It's enhanced by studio grade preamps and 24-bit audio USB 2.0 processing so the sound is definitely superior to the SL1.

Here is the comparison in a nut shell...

SL1 vs the SL3 — The Difference:

Serato SL1

# USB 1.1 full speed audio interface.
# 94 dB dynamic range on line out.
# Maximum audio output: 2 Vrms.
# 16-bit 44.1 kHz converters.
# Mic input for recording or LiveFeed.
# Independent thru connections.
# Select CD or Vinyl Control.
# Optional power supply.

Serato SL3
# USB 2.0 high speed audio interface.
# Improved dynamic range: 104 dB.
# Maximum audio output: 3 Vrms (hotter output).
# 24-bit 44.1 or 48 kHz converters.
# Aux Input for Live Mix Recording or LiveFeed.
# Aux Output allows use of the Sample Player as a Virtual Deck.
# Aux Output opens the door for future expansion and creative configurations.
# High-grade phono preamps upgrade the performance of most mixers.
# Software switchable Direct Thru connections: less cable required.
# Independent Line / Phono-level selection for each input for greater flexibility.
# Galvanic isolation prevents computer noise from interfering with audio path.
# Soft carry case included.
# Includes international power supply: best performance and easy transfer between DJs.

Hope this helps!

DJ RuDe

Posted Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 1:12 am
I use the pioneer mk3 cdjs, and i find directly using them over serato they give off a more crisp high level sound and they dont have to be driven as hard to get the volume. Is this what they mean by SL3's 'Improved dynamic range: 104 dB' compared to SL1's '94 dB dynamic range on line out'

Does the SL3 match the raw Mk3s output?

Posted Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 1:31 am
Yes, but what mixer are you using? I'm using the Pioneer DJM-800 which is matched in sound quality to the SL3.

Posted Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 2:31 am
Yes im using the 800 at some venues but i also use the 700 i think its,

Posted Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 3:07 am
craighPRO InfinityMember since 2008
What state do the outputs of the SL3 go into when there is no power on the device? I played with a SL1 a while back and when the laptop crashed, I switched to raw vinyl and rebooted the laptop. When the laptop rebooted, the sound got cut on the through connections playing raw vinyl. I carry a crate of Vinyl as a backup for VDJ and would be interested to know if the SL3 defaults to raw through with no power. In any case, I think it's too expensive to upgrade at this stage.

Posted Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 5:24 am

u didnt buy the optional adapter!! if u only connect thru the usb its only obvious tht when cpu shuts down sl1 WILL loose power connection UNLESS u have it plugged into an outlet via power adapter tht u could get at radioshack or similer for bout 10-20$ us.

now on the other hand the sl3 comes with optional power supply tht will work no matter what country u are in.

Posted Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 1:02 pm
dj t boogie wrote :

u didnt buy the optional adapter!! if u only connect thru the usb its only obvious tht when cpu shuts down sl1 WILL loose power connection UNLESS u have it plugged into an outlet via power adapter tht u could get at radioshack or similer for bout 10-20$ us.

now on the other hand the sl3 comes with optional power supply tht will work no matter what country u are in.

So if this is the case you can go "live" per say if your computer takes a dump on you!!! with CD's with out having to switching out cables?

Posted Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 1:16 pm
craighPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Cool, thanks. I didn't think of plugging in a power supply. At this stage Virtual Vinyl is working so I'm going to wait and see if prices come down or for my bank balance to go up.

Posted Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 4:43 pm
Alright guys tell me how you got the SL3 to work with VDJ, i went and got one and i cant see it in the virtual dj sound settings,

Where you select sound card and SL1 is normally selected, there is nothing. Help!

Posted Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 12:11 am
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJRudeDoGG wrote :
Oh yes, it works, I've got my SL3 inline between the mixer and the players.

Could you please make a print screen of the virtual dj audio setup page?

Is there any way to setup the latency? In Serato you set it via software and not via driver.

Posted Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 1:45 am
I don't actually run VDJ through it, it's passive. My CDJ's are connect via USB to the laptop and RCA's from the CDJ's to the SL3 and RCA's from SL3 to the DJM-800 Mixer. The CDJ's are also connected to the digital inputs of the mixer which is how I run VDJ. This way I don't have to connect and disconnect to use either VDJ or Serato Scratch Live. That's how I run mine.

DJ RuDe

Posted Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 1:57 am
So i cant use the SL3 with virtual Dj Directly?

Posted Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 2:22 am
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
http://www.rane.com/sl3.html#gpm1_3

Why can't I use the SL 3 with other programs as an ASIO or CoreAudio/Composite device?
Scratch Live and the SL 3 use a proprietary driver that has many performance and stability advantages over a CoreAudio or ASIO solution. We do however understand that a more open driver has advantages as well. CoreAudio Drivers are currently in development and will be implemented in a future firmware upgrade for the SL 3.

Posted Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 3:13 am
Ahh yeah well at least they are working on it

Posted Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 7:01 am
cioce wrote :
http://www.rane.com/sl3.html#gpm1_3

Why can't I use the SL 3 with other programs as an ASIO or CoreAudio/Composite device?
Scratch Live and the SL 3 use a proprietary driver that has many performance and stability advantages over a CoreAudio or ASIO solution. We do however understand that a more open driver has advantages as well. CoreAudio Drivers are currently in development and will be implemented in a future firmware upgrade for the SL 3.

I'm not sure on that one. The SL 3 drivers aren't even a choice on the "Sound setup" in the "Config" menu of VDJ. As long as the SL 3 has power via the supplied power pak VDJ runs through it, otherwise it can't be used as a "pass through"., which is why I have the digital line outs to the mixer from the CDJs.

DJ RuDe

Posted Mon 13 Jul 09 @ 1:33 am
I just bought the SL-3 and, nope, it doesn't work with VirtualDJ.

God dammit.

Posted Fri 24 Jul 09 @ 2:15 pm
any update on this? i just got a sl3 myself....

Posted Tue 09 Feb 10 @ 6:28 pm
The manufacturer has not released any standard drivers for it yet (ASIO/Core Audio), so it is only compatible with Serato at the moment.

Posted Tue 09 Feb 10 @ 7:08 pm
thanks

Posted Tue 09 Feb 10 @ 7:08 pm
53%