Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Looping using timecoding - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When using CDJ's for playing timecodes I find the looping less than perfect. The reason is VDJ just can't interpret the timecode signal fast enough for a clean loop. And using the mouse to create a loop in VDJ is tricky simply because it's hard to get the timing right (you can't easily "bang" on the mouse button to set your loop in and loop out points). Solution: set keyboard shortcuts for your loops and other CDJ functions (play, pause, cue etc.). I use one key for loop in, one for loop out and a third for reloop. This way you get the tactile feel of "hitting" buttons which I find is better than using a mouse as far as timing goes. Also, if you use VDJ to create loops rather than your CDJ's (which can't detect any beats on the timecode anyways CD because there are none) you can take advantage of the the song's beat grid . If the beat grid is set up properly then you're guaranteed clean loops. Keep in mind that you have to be in 'relative' or 'smart' mode though. One last thing, I use an iSkin for my Macbook keyboard (a rubber keyboard protector) which really gives the keyboard the tactile feel of rubber CDJ buttons, this way when I use my keyboard for functions like jumping to cue points, creating loops, pitch bend etc. it makes the keyboard feel more "familiar". You just have to get used to hitting the buttons on your laptop rather than the buttons next to your CDJ platter. Hope this helps

Posted Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 7:08 am
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
dizzyrocks2001 wrote :
When using CDJ's for playing timecodes I find the looping less than perfect. The reason is VDJ just can't interpret the timecode signal fast enough for a clean loop.

Are you saying that when you enable a loop you lose beats (is the loop time/loop beat number unstable)?

Posted Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 7:34 am
I'm saying the actual loop set on the CDJ might be perfect but each time the loop jumps to the beginning of the loop VDJ has to 'catch up' and read the signal, and it does a less than perfect job of it. No discredit to VDJ, it's just asking too much of the software to follow along without any latency whatsoever.

Posted Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 11:11 am
That's exactly it -- and there's no way (currently) for the software to improve on this.

Posted Sat 14 Mar 09 @ 1:29 am
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I think the main cause of this issue is due the number of "bits" of the timecode signal that the software must to read in order to recognize in which point is the track, plus the delay due to the conversions, plus all signal's elaboration/handling.

Posted Sat 14 Mar 09 @ 5:34 am
I need help. I've got Pioneer 800 and the Serato Sl 1. When I move the pitch on the 800 the slider on the screen goes crazy. I normally set it to 12%. I have been in talks with TECH SUPPORT with this and they said the 800 have not been mapped for VDJ. If I buy a different sound card (Maya 44 or the like), will this change? How can I get the 800s to work properly?

Posted Thu 26 Nov 09 @ 10:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)