Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Big buttons but tiny switches.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Ok so ime mid way through a gig and start having false starts and stutters on my DMC2 and end up using the mouse to start the RH deck.
I decide to have a look under the lid and find that Numark have used the same type of cheap nasty tactile switches that are used on your average domestic dvd player. Numark are not the only ones, Tascam have done the same on their CD302. I have had the same fault develop on the Tascam and the only cure was to replace the most frequently used switches on a 6 monthly basis to be shure that the kit wont let me down. The buttons on these machines are big solid looking items that inspire confidence, but the switches are cheap rubish. Time the manufacturers did some quality work. Even if they used higher quality switches for the most frequently used functions the kit would be so much more reliable.
If any of you guys have had the same sort of problem I would be interested to know.

Happy spinnin

Daz

Posted Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 10:09 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Most manufacturers do this.

Replacement isn't always necessary - contact/switch cleaner/lubricant usually does the job too :)

Posted Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 10:54 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Yep, even Pioneer CDJs are hiding these little microswitches under those big shiny play/cue buttons! You can buy relacements in Maplins for pennies though, not too difficult if you're handy with a soldering iron. Lost count of the number of times i've replaced the switches in my DAC-2...

Posted Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 11:02 pm
I always worry about using switchcleaner, not because it dosent work but because it can get into more than just the switches. I feel that if youve gone to the extent of taking the kit apart you may as well just replace the switches and be done with it.
I work as a flight simulator engineer by day and have a well equipped workshop at my disposal, so currently looking at making a switch mod. I plan to do this on the Tasscam CD302 (my current spare unit) and if all goes well my DMC2 and CDN95 (current in use units) will follow. I suspect if I can get it right I will not have to do the job again. Ime not worried about the warranty as the units are all over one year old.
If all goes well I will post some details on what I have come up with.

Daz

Posted Mon 19 Jan 09 @ 11:32 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I agree replacement would be better than using switch cleaner, but sometimes when you're in a pinch and that play button starts acting up it can get you out of a mess!

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 8:53 am
Good point. I have used cleaner/lubricants mainly on noisy faders but find in most cases it tends to be a short lived fix. One of the best Ive found is Superservisol 10 it's great for faders and rotary controls and dosent seem to leave too much gunk behind.

Daz

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 9:36 am
Can't believe that of Tascam they are usually really good.

Wouldn't expect anything less of Numark.

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 4:25 pm
Many of the more respected companys are now manufacturing in China (Tasscam included). I cant help feeling that standards are slipping because of the need for all manufacturers to compeate on more and more agressive terms.

I still own an old Teac/Tasscam 4 track open reel recorder made in the late seventys and it is built like the proverbial brick s**t house. When compared with the so called Pro kit that is out now nothing will touch it for build quality.It's switches still work by the way. Why do you think 1200s are still doing the business 20 or so years on? Its because they were built to a standard seldom seen today.

Daz

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 8:04 am
Have now replaced the switches on the Numark and all is well, for now. There is not any space on the pcb for larger or more heavy duty switches so I am serching for a higher quality direct replacement. The Tascam should proove fairly easy to modify for heavy duty switches , on the play/cue buttons at least. Will let you know how I get on.

Daz

Posted Fri 06 Feb 09 @ 2:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)