WINDOWS 7 OPTIMISATION FOR VIRTUAL DJ GIG LAPTOP.
Wed 03 Aug 11 @ 2:35 pm
Thought I would post Here a list of things I do to my Windows 7 gig laptops to get them running sweat as. I hope these guides help all that read.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS THOUGH.
Clean install your OS if you have the disk
Make sure you have the latest service pack for windows 7 (at the moment it’s SP1)
Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your Media controller’s, sound card’s, graphics cards.
Make sue your laptop power setting is set for max performance.
Put as much ram in your laptop as your laptop / OS it will take.
Defrag your laptop once a month.
Install a light version of AV such as Microsoft Security Essentials (to be on the safe side).
Only use Virtual Dj skins in your screens native resolution.
Use ready boost .
Turn off wifi and bluetooth
Remove Unused Programs / Software / Bloatware From Windows
1. Select the Windows ‘Start’ button.
2. Choose ‘Control Panel’.
3. Under the category labeled ‘Programs’, select ‘Uninstall a Program’.
4. Once the list is populated, go through it and select ‘Uninstall’ for all the applications you know are no longer needed.
5. For programs you are unsure of, be sure to ‘Google Them First’.
Turn Off Or Uninstall Unused Features
1. Select the Windows ‘Start’ button.
2. Choose ‘Control Panel’.
3. In the control panel list, below ‘Programs’, select ‘Uninstall a Program’.
4. In the upper left hand side of the uninstaller, select ‘Turn Windows features on or off’.
5. Once the list has been populated, uncheck the features you do not need or use
6. Select ‘Ok’.
7. When prompted, restart your computer.
8. Windows update may run upon shutdown and reboot.
9. To add the features back, reverse step 5.
Here is a list of the features I have turned off
Internet information web core
Internet information services
Microsoft.net framework 3.5.1
Microsoft message queue
Print and document services
RAS connection manager admin kit
Remote differential compression
Services for NFS
Simple network management protocol
Subsystem for UNIX-based apps
Tablet PC components
windows gadget platform
windows TIFF Ifilter
As with everything only turn off the ones you need too, if unsure Google is your friend.
Stop your USB ports from turning off / going to sleep to save power
1. Right click on my computer.
2. Go into Device Manager,
3. navigate down to Universal Serial Bus controllers.
4. On each USB Root Hub item, right-click and choose Properties.
5. Click on the Power Management tab and un-check the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Easily Disable Aero Before Running VIRTUAL DJ
You might be concerned with squeezing every last bit of performance out of your machine, or may have compatibility problems between Aero and Virtual Dj. You can edit the properties of a shortcut / application and tell Windows to automatically disable Aero as soon as you start Virtual Dj, and then re-enable it again once the Virtual Dj is closed.
1. Simply right-click on the shortcut / application (Virtual Dj Icon).
2. choose Properties.
3. Select the Compatibility tab.
4. Now on the Settings block check the box for “Disable desktop composition” in order to disable Aero the next time you use the shortcut, that’s it.
How To Quickly Remove Junk Files and clean the Registry
1. Download Piriform CCleaner Free at: http://pcmichiana.com/download-ccleaner-free-registry-repair-and-system-cleaning-utility/
2. Install CCleaner
3. Open CCleaner
4. In the Cleaner section, select the Analyze button.
5. If prompted to close your web browser, do so.
6. Once your drive has been analyzed, select the “Run Cleaner” button.
7. Junk has been removed from your system.
8. To clean your registry, select the ‘Registry’ section.
9. Select ‘Scan for issues…’
10. Once your registry has been scanned, select the ‘Fix Selected Issues…’ option.
11. If prompted to create a registry backup, do so.
12. When prompted, select ‘Fix All Selected Issues’
13. You’re done!
CCleaner should be run after doing many installations of software or file transfers. You should also run CCleaner at least once a month to remove any excess junk that may have built up.
Speed up your laptops startup time and stop unwanted apps starting at startup
1. Go to start and in the search box type msconfig and press enter
2. in system configuration select the boot tab
3. in the timeout box put 10 for the seconds
4. skip the services tab
5. In the start-up tab untick anything that you don’t want to start at start-up (i.e. Adobe)
6. click apply and ok
Disable / modify windows services running
1. Go to start and in the search box type services.msc and press enter
2. now go to http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
3. this list will give you all the states you need to modify services to.
Automatic - With a service in this state, it will start at boot time. Some services, when no longer required, will also automatically stop when not needed. If you find you do not need a service, place it into Manual or Disabled.
Automatic (Delayed Start) - With a service in this state, it will start just after boot time. Some services, when no longer required, will also automatically stop when not needed. If you find you do not need a service, place it into Manual or Disabled.
Manual - Manual mode allows Windows to start a service when needed. However, very few services will start up when required in Manual mode. If you find you need a service, place it into Automatic.
Disabled - This setting will stop a service from starting, even if needed. Errors in the Event Viewer will show up complaining of that fact. Some services, while Disabled, will constantly complain. However, this situation is taken care of if placed in Manual. The service descriptions identifies those that should be in Manual vice Disabled.
“Started” - A service that either set to Manual or Automatic that is running by default at or shortly after boot time.
“Not Started” - A service set into Automatic that is not running by default at or shortly after boot time.
“Not Available” - A service that does not apply to the particular version.
“Uninstalled” - The ability to uninstall a service that I recommend to be removed by using Add/Remove Windows Features.
I have used the blackviper list on many laptops now with no problems, but read and follow the instructions on the website by the letter. Plus anything you are unsure about use google.
Ready Boost Service for an Extra Speed Boost
1. To configure the Ready Boost Feature in Windows 7 you need to have a High Speed Flash/USB or Pendrive with you which is ready boost compatible.
2. After plugging you pendrive, open “Computer” > Right-click the on USB Drive/Pendrive > select “Ready Boost” tab > tick the “Use this device” checkbox.
3. You can configure how much space on your USB drive/ Pendrive to be used as Ram.
The ready boost feature in Windows 7 will help you to use your flash drive or pendrive or USB drive as Ram there by improving the performance and speed of windows 7.
Defragment your hard disk
1. Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Start button. In the search box, typeDisk Defragmenter, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Defragmenter.
2. Under Current status, select the disk you want to defragment.
3. To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click Analyze disk. If you\\\'re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
4. Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the Last Run column. If the number is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.
5. Click Defragment disk. If you\\\'re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
6. Disk Defragmenter might take from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size and degree of fragmentation of your hard disk. You can still use your computer during the defragmentation process.
1. Firstly, go to Start type in regedit in the serch bar and hit Enter.
2. In the regedit window go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\\\SYSTEM\\\\CurrentControlSet\\\\Control
3. When the cursor is on Control then on the right hand side you’ll find the “WaittoKillServiceTimeout” key. Right click on it and click modify. Change the long 20000 ms setting to a smaller number. Best to start with 15000 first. You can set a 500 ms which is really good, below that is not advisable.
4. Once done just click OK and close it. Restart your computer and then shut down your computer, you’ll notice that the shutdown speed has improved to a great extent.
Download and run game booster before opening Virtual Dj. You can get game booster from http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html and it is free to use.
Hope this helps, and have fun