Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Virtual Folder Question VDJ 5.2.1

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have Virtual Folders set up for different genres ... such as Dance, Rock, Country, Rap, top40 etc etc ...

My problem is... say I am browsing my "Dance" Virtual Folder .. and while in that folder I hit my search key and do a fast search for some other song not in that folder ... when I click on it with my mouse .. it automatically puts it into the Virtual Folder I was browsing .... in this case "Dance"

My Question is ... how can I make it stop doing that ?

Posted Sat 15 Nov 08 @ 5:48 pm
Hi, I don't think you can stop this feature. But if you drag the file from the list straight onto one of the decks, it doesn't get added. It's only added to the virtual folder if you start to drag it but then let it go inthe browser window.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 5:45 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Why are you using Virtual Folders for categorizing your tracks by Genre?
Why not just update the Genre field in the File Info dialog then use the Genre tree that is already available?

To add multiple genres just separate them by a semi-colon ( ; ) e.g. - Pop;Top40;2007 < file will show in the Pop, Top40 and 2007 genre tree folders

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 3:38 pm
Bump for answer to original question.

andytaylor125 wrote :
Hi, I don't think you can stop this feature. But if you drag the file from the list straight onto one of the decks, it doesn't get added. It's only added to the virtual folder if you start to drag it but then let it go inthe browser window.

Yes ... and that happens much to often.

cstoll wrote :
Why are you using Virtual Folders for categorizing your tracks by Genre?

I am using Virtual Folders as a replacement for my old Play Lists from VDJ 4.3 ... And I like that I can update Virtual Folders on the fly ...

5.2 is not very Play List friendly like 4.3 is ... I do make sure I back all my Virtual Folders up to Play Lists once a month or so ... I don't have to worry about Data Base problems with Play Lists like I do with Virtual Folders.

cstoll wrote :
Why not just update the Genre field in the File Info dialog then use the Genre tree that is already available?

That is a TON of work for little to no gain... at least to me..... Also .. just because a song fits into a genre .. does not mean I want it in my Virtual Folder / Play list.

cstoll wrote :

To add multiple genres just separate them by a semi-colon ( ; ) e.g. - Pop;Top40;2007 < file will show in the Pop, Top40 and 2007 genre tree folders

Thank you for this information .. I may use it for other things in the future ... but its not what im looking for at all.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 9:24 pm
virtual folders is a very good idea that would set "the men from the boys" but
when tracks are deleted thru windows they disappear. or if they were on an external hdd...

they should at least remain there so that if u lose files u can rerip them. or if there was a txt/playlist file they were saved on.

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 1:43 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)