Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Club Mixing - Page: 11

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

fatkatzdj wrote :
A professional athlete trains his mind think ahead which makes the play move in slow motion. A DJ has to train his mind to think in rhythms and beats.

A very good analogy fatkatzdj. I would like to add to your analogy by stating that a DJ needs to also physically train like an athlete. An example of a DJ performing physical training could be what you do:

fatkatzdj wrote :
I will make a 30 minute demo and study it for smoothness in transitions, BPM flow and song selection. I will also listen for effects in the right place or if I could have placed an effect.

I practice about once a week for about 1-2 hours. Sometimes, I hear a combination in my head and want to make it work for my next show. I always write my ideas down for use in the future. Tonight I'm pulling out my notes from a practice session I did about 4 months ago.

Your other example is an excellent way to develop club mixing skills because you have to respond quickly. This helps you to properly respond to the crowd in a club:

fatkatzdj wrote :
Me and another DJ in my club will tag team one night. He plays a song then I play a song and so on. This helps us to think ahead. Sometimes he or I will change the rhythem to see how each other responds. Djing should be fun and creative.

Your examples illustrate how to properly train yourself physically and mentally to be a good Club DJ. Good mixes don’t happen by accident—it takes:

fatkatzdj wrote :
practice, practice, practice to get to know your sound and the music.

OO

Posted Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 6:38 pm
hola soy nuevo mesclando en el virtual nesesito saver como profecionalisarme

Posted Wed 17 Oct 07 @ 7:10 pm
soy guatemalteco y trabajo en una discoteca por las noches

Posted Wed 17 Oct 07 @ 7:11 pm
Can someone translate? I don’t know if this person is asking a question or making a comment….

OO

Posted Fri 19 Oct 07 @ 6:59 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
santiguate wrote :
hola soy nuevo mesclando en el virtual nesesito saver como profecionalisarme

hello I am new mesclando in the virtual nesesito to saver like profecionalisar to me

santiguate wrote :
soy guatemalteco y trabajo en una discoteca por las noches

I am Guatemalan and work in a discoteca by the nights

There, i think it just a comment,.. but maybe i wrong, just use language translation:)

Posted Fri 19 Oct 07 @ 7:11 pm
Thanks.

OO

Posted Fri 19 Oct 07 @ 7:28 pm
Thanks.

Posted Sat 20 Oct 07 @ 9:02 am
abotxHome userMember since 2007

Posted Wed 24 Oct 07 @ 7:43 pm
gooooooood

Posted Tue 13 Nov 07 @ 7:53 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Something to add about club djing on Double O's good post. If you know any big DJs, they will probably tell you before you hire them to read their rider (a sort of legal document). The rider will usually clearly state what kind of equipment they want to use and how it should be set up.

Why this exists, is because there are great clubs and terrible clubs and most clubs are in between. Mixing at home is fun but is an environment that you can control. In a club you cannot. I dont know how many places I've shown up at where the monitor was lower than the mainroom sound. You need to hear what's going on otherwise you cant mix accurately. Take a world class runner and cut off his legs. You think he will run 100m in 10 seconds? Hardly... same in a club. If you are not ready for a different environment, you will fail. An olympic distance runner from hotter parts of the world dont do well when they go to a new country where it is much colder. They simply are not used to it.

Now, having said that, you are pretty out of touch with the world if you demand and expect to have a perfect environment every club you goto. These are some tips that allow you to 'cross-train' to be ready for that potentially bad night:

1) mix without headphones. seriously, learn to beatmatch without being able to hear whats going on. in case your monitor in the club is gone, you can improve your beatmatching response time quickly enough that you can still mix and not make a fool of yourself. if you can drop the needle in the middle of the track and beatmatch within 3-4 seconds, you got the skill you need
2) mix only with headphones. listen only to the master output and dont use pfls. this will train your recognition of tracks, meaning you can hear it all together and know what track you are mixing in and what is already playing. audial differentiation is an important factor of being a good dj.
3) turn your speaker to the wall or actually spin in another room. ive been to all sorts of weird houseparties with very odd setups. no point in getting all pissed off cuz homeboy didnt know what was needed to set it up properly (or didnt have the gear). You can still have alot of fun if you have the confidence to do it right even with a handicap. intentionlly making the sound really bad, distant, echoey, etc will only make you ready for the majority of nightclubs in the world.

They talk alot about handicap in golf, which is the same thing. a handicap means you are disabled because of something. Rosso, the motorGP racer got bored once season and started riding a Kawasaki bike because it was slower and would give him a challange. This is the true meaning of taking advantage of a handicap, and all good djs are prepared for serious handicaps at crappy clubs/parties run by morons who dont know what theyre doing. Remember, a DJ is hired to play the music, but the club owner only pays the bills. why should they know the details of what you need? trust me, I've heard some really stupid things from club owners about how sound and dj booth should be setup. so be wise and expect every gig will go horribly wrong. You can only be pleasantly surprised when it goes right......

Posted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 11:33 am
Paz75 ... Nice insigh. I guess a lot of club DJ's get used to the conditions and don't think about it as much anymore. I think we worry more about space for setup than actual sound. This is great insight for the up and coming DJ's who are looking to get into the scene.

Posted Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 10:26 pm

Posted Fri 14 Dec 07 @ 7:41 am
fx26Home userMember since 2007
good post ;)

Posted Sun 16 Dec 07 @ 5:23 pm
Thanks huge

Posted Sun 16 Dec 07 @ 5:25 pm

Posted Sun 16 Dec 07 @ 5:25 pm
tazakosHome userMember since 2008
bad but i want to learn

Posted Fri 04 Jan 08 @ 9:47 am
MarilynHome userMember since 2005
very good post there.

My first club DJing encounter was 2 years ago with DJ Sammy and Anna Kiss.
The club had been redone and they had massive event with Radio and stuff.
I got asked by the manager if I was interested in being part of the line up, and like most I just did not resist to say “no”(if you get your chance then take it) never say “no” or “let me think about it”.
I have always been at parties and what you could call smaller events with max of 80 people (not much but still fun).
So before I started getting my sets together I decided to look at the styles of the other DJ’s that will be on. After finding out that my style is not 100% going to fit in I started to panic.
There styles were mainly Trance/Dance & Tech-house.
Also I was on the list to be last and the closing DJ (until after hour).
But I still decided to go for it, full blast with Hardstyle and later banging out them Schranz beats.
I have to say it was a good laugh after all and although at first people (including the other DJ’s) reacted slightly distant to the harder style, the night was a major success.

But now going back to the post.
Always check out the club before you do your thing.
Main things are:
If you use vinyl make they HAVE turn tables, I have had this problem in past. I get to a club and bang, my shock and surprise, no decks.
Secondly another thing I had. No monitor speakers. This can be a real bummer too. So make sure u get use to pure headphone mixing, can be a little confusing though.
And if you use laptop double check ur connections. A fellow DJ I know used his laptop and had a mixing board that had a USB input. He had the nasty encounter of not checking out the club and then finding out his stuff would not work. So that was all a last-minute.com to sort out.

Take care.

The Professor

Posted Wed 30 Jan 08 @ 2:58 pm
question off topic but subject is present in this thread, sup with the PartyScratch vid i keep seeing everywhere??

Posted Wed 30 Jan 08 @ 4:38 pm
alguien tiene el skin de la dn-3500 la nesecito

Posted Tue 05 Feb 08 @ 2:28 pm
felan filan :)

Posted Tue 12 Feb 08 @ 5:54 am
53%