Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Club Mixing - Page: 10

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Double O wrote :
mrcharming wrote :
Posted Wed 04 Apr 07 @ 01:48:17 Quote
I will work on the transitions. And By "more variety" do you mean music style or tempo or I guess maybe both or what?

i also find that when you don't usually listen to one type one music it all sounds repetitive. only house heads hear house well, and only Drum and Bass heads hear Drum and Bass well.

Since it appears that you are emphasizing a certain music style in your mixes—Drums and Bass—you should at least change the tempo, which is a good time to use different transitions in your mix. For example: You’ve beatmixed 4 or 5 songs in a row and decide to slow the tempo of your mix. One way to do this is by using the Brake/Turntable Start transition. Another way is to use an Echo Out transition. You would then beatmix another 4 or 5 songs at the slower tempo and then transition to a faster or slower tempo. For some very basic transitions, read the second post of this page.

I personally like to start my mixes off with a slower tempo and build up to the fastest tempo of my mix. Once I reach the fastest tempo, I gradually slow the tempo down again. This will help you in preparing to mix at a club or some other function. If you want to understand this concept, read the next to last post on the 11th page of this thread. As for variety, that has to be your decision when preparing your songs. However, you should always consider what your audience wants to hear.

OO

cool, thanks again. much respect.

Posted Thu 05 Apr 07 @ 9:57 pm
Well over the next few months l've decided to give this software a good run in with the console mk 2 l've bought.It will be interesting to see some of the reactions that people have in comparision to using it with other mixers,e.g industry standard mixers and also using some of the effects that are availiable.I wish there were more people making effects for this program or teaching as l'd post all my own effects after l've used them live with a review cause its not that hard to do when ya been coding for years its more a matter of ones time and how much they can spend on one piece of software and if it can do what is required of even more.I guess this is something that only time will tell,looking forward to posting some reviews on the nights that we do and some of the outdoor festivals also.

Posted Sun 08 Apr 07 @ 8:04 pm
infazHome userMember since 2007
someone that can help me please...i began new but i wanna be dj so much..please help me...--@--.-- i really wanna a guide that teach me everything...i bealive u my mates

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry infaz no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Sat 14 Apr 07 @ 4:29 pm
ardagoHome userMember since 2007
Thanks

Posted Mon 16 Apr 07 @ 1:14 am

Posted Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 8:33 pm
Nice...verry nice...
thats was a good job but i don't understand that about the 5 hours.

Posted Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 4:09 am
dasweetdude
dasweetdude
how do you get to be a home editor?

Posted Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 4:10 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
the first 2 levels home and pro are awarded for buying the software.

mixstation , mk2 , home edition 2006 - home level user

Pro , Numark Cue and Virtual Vinyl - Pro.

higher levels are awared for service to the comunity.

Posted Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 12:06 pm
Oh...that complicated....i have no credic card i live in Venezuela and 300$ is much much much in here...
i was making community serv to see if i can get be a home editor =S but i can't get be a home ..i will helping people....:'(

Posted Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 2:57 am
bliszard for security reasons your message won't appear until a moderator has reviewed it.

Posted Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 2:59 am
Oh sorry i think that message can be put on the forum...

Posted Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 3:00 am
bliszard wrote :
Nice...verry nice...
thats was a good job but i don't understand that about the 5 hours.

Five hours is only an average figure that I came up with. I assumed most DJs work between 4 to 6 hours (I could be wrong). Therefore, I selected the hour between 4 and 6. Consequently, preparing yourself to DJ for 5 hours should have you ready for most situations. For example: some clubs use two DJs. If one doesn’t show up and the other only prepared to DJ for half the night, his performance might suffer as he struggles to figure out what to play the rest of the night. Sometimes you might want to extend a set, which is easy to do if you have additional sets prepared. When you get to the end of one set, you simple start another set. My point is to always have some backup sets prepared. That way if you encounter an unexpected circumstance at the club, you are still prepared to do your best.

OO

Posted Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 5:08 pm
YekiniHome userMember since 2007
Hi there, could someone help me how to mix accapellas with different versions of instrumentals in (Rap, hiphop, R&B and Dancehall Style). Like snoop dog accapella mix with say Lil wayne instrumental etc. What shoul i look for. how do i concetrate. this would be much appreciated.. thanx

Posted Mon 02 Jul 07 @ 12:56 am
tim92Home userMember since 2006

Posted Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 10:35 am
tim92 wrote :
check this out

Dj Vangi

no disrespect::: but that was very painful to listen to ; } let the person enjoy the song with little interruption as possible. The effects should be used for highlighting a verse / segment or transition into another song.

I'm hoping that you were playing around with the effects and wanted to see what each did and sounded like... If that was the case... please don't post this type of practice.

We will listen and give constructive feedback but only if you take the subject and art seriously. Remember everyone has to start somewhere.

KEEP SPINNIN'

Posted Mon 16 Jul 07 @ 11:05 pm
coooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Posted Wed 01 Aug 07 @ 3:49 am

Posted Sun 05 Aug 07 @ 4:16 pm
DJ RoKkHome userMember since 2007
DJ OO - Thanks for this thread...its realy helped me!

keep up the good works guys...VDJ Radio is the stuff!

Posted Thu 09 Aug 07 @ 5:35 pm
You’re welcome.

Keep listening to VDJ Radio; make sure you listen to DJs that are mixing the same kind of music that you play or expect to play at a club. Focus on their music selection, beatmixing, scratching, transitions, tempo changes, how effects are used, etc.... Listening to DJs mixing other types of music can be helpful too. Also, listen to other radio stations that have mix shows. FOR INSTRUCTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, you could record a mix and practice replicating it if you have the same songs or you could substitute some songs. Record your mix and compare it to the mix that you recorded. Keep practicing, periodically record your mixes, and make comparisons to your other mixes. A good way to make comparisons is with multi-track recording software. It allows you to easily compare your practice mixes.

For example: let’s imagine that you recorded a mix from VDJ radio that you liked. You would put it into the first track of a multi-track recording program. You like how the first and second songs were transitioned. Consequently, you attempt to practice the same transition using the same songs. You record this and load it into the second track of the multi-track recording program that you are using (you can also record directly into the track). You should play only the part of the mix in the first track where the first and second songs transition. You then play the same part of your mix that you recorded and make a comparison. If you don’t like how your practice mix sounded, you would try it again. After your second attempt, you would load it into the third track and make another comparison.

Furthermore, this will help you learn how to construct a flawless mix using multi-track recording software. This is very important to know if you decide to make a demo mix for a club. I’ll post more information on making a multi-track mix for a club in the future. Here’s a link to free multi-track recording software that should help you get started:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

OO

Posted Sat 18 Aug 07 @ 6:46 pm
Double O,

Well explained, I still do this method every so often. as DJ's we may get comfirtable with our sound and style... We all can get better or change styles to suite our crowds needs.

I will make a 30 minute demo and study it for smoothness in transitions, BPM flow and song selection. I will also listen for effects in the right place or if I could have placed an effect.

I practice about once a week for about 1-2 hours. Sometimes, I hear a combination in my head and want to make it work for my next show. I always write my ideas down for use in the future. Tonight I'm pulling out my notes from a practice session I did about 4 months ago.

A professional athlete trains his mind think ahead which makes the play move in slow motion. A DJ has to train his mind to think in rhythms and beats. Hearing a sound and playing a second sound to make it make since in your mind.

Me and another DJ in my club will tag team one night. He plays a song then I play a song and so on. This helps us to think ahead. Sometimes he or I will change the rhythem to see how each other responds. Djing should be fun and creative.

practice, practice, practice to get to know your sound and the music.

Posted Sun 19 Aug 07 @ 12:54 am
48%