Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VCI-300 and Virtual DJ [Midi mapper now available] - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djbeware wrote :
Hey guys I installed the MIDI translator and so far it looks good, I had an issue with the PITCH and I have not mapped the Touch JOG yet but hopefully I should get around to sorting out all the issues tonight. I really like this unit even with Itch the Scratching response is fantastic, its very tight integration, no detectable delay at all, I think once they iron out all the bugs in the software it will be a best seller especially the buttons on the unit, they feel ten times better than the RMX.

I actually thought my unit had the right jog issue but it looks like it was related to the power my computer was supplying now its working great!. A highly recommend the VCI-300, I still think its pricey though.

I really hope VDJ decides to make integrated support for this unit.

Great news!

So I actually spent some serious time today, and I did get the VCI-300 and www.djtechtools.com MIDI translator working with VDJ, sound is working and even the headphones are working!!

The VCI-300 comes up in windows as a SOundcard and I had to set it up in VDJ as a 4.1 card.

Master: Front output
Headphones: Center output

It looks like the master volume controls and the headphone volume control are true hardware controls as they do work perfectly but don't send an MIDI signal.

Most funtions are working, I have not perfected the SCRATCH mode yet as it very fast and sound very "chipmunky" but I think I need to adjust the way VDJ grabs the MIDI signal in the MIDI setup for the jogs, as well when it is in JOG mode they respond to much with a slight touch. I guess I will fool around with the numbers in the MIDI setup. Pitch is also working now too, so I think we have a winner here.

As I get more functions working I will update you.

One thing is if someone could tell me how to change the behavior of a function when hitting 2 buttons. as there is a "SHIFT" button on the VCI-300, but I have not figured out in the setup how to autolearn pressing 2 buttons at a time.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 3:24 am
Ok I was able to adjust the control on the jogs so now it sounds like vinyl. So now I have 2 issues:

1. If I toggle to vinyl mode and touch the platter or the sides of the platter for that matter, VDJ kind of crashes, and it won't allow me to play any music but it thinks it is playing music, as the STUTTER or PLAY button on the screen light up (essential if I was deaf everything happening on the screen looks normal but I hear no music). However moving the platter produces sound, so I can scratch but not actually play the song and I have to restart VDJ inorder for it to respond

2. I have not figured out how to program a combinations of buttons like for example SHIFT + KEYLOCK (in ITCH this resets the pitch) or PFL A + SCROLL (in ITCH this loads the song to Deck 1)

3. As well I looks like within VDJ there is no "CENSOR" control, meaning you reverse the song, but it continues playing so when you stop reversing the song returns to where it would have been playing forward. This is good for uncensorsed versions of songs where you need to do your own censoring.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 5:58 am
djbeware wrote :
1. If I toggle to vinyl mode and touch the platter or the sides of the platter for that matter, VDJ kind of crashes, and it won't allow me to play any music but it thinks it is playing music, as the STUTTER or PLAY button on the screen light up.

This happens if the jogwheel touch sensor (scratchwheel_touch) is toggled on, but not off again when you release the wheel (So VirtualDJ thinks you are still touching the wheel and keeps the song paused so you can scratch.)

You may need to add temporary to the scratchwheel_touch action - You can't actually do this through the GUI MIDI mapper at present, but you can add it by manually editing My Documents\VirtualDJ\midi.xml with Notepad and editing the XML lines as follows:

<note note="nn" action="scratchwheel_touch" chan="1" value="temporary " />

(You will need to make this change with VirtualDJ closed.)

djbeware wrote :
2. I have not figured out how to program a combinations of buttons like for example SHIFT + KEYLOCK

Unfortunately, it's not currently possible to map combinations of buttons with the general MIDI mapper. However, some MIDI controllers with a SHIFT button will automatically modify the MIDI numbers of the buttons to alternative values, making it possible to map them to an alternative function.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 2:05 pm
Well JP.........you done did it again, that little temporary fix sorted out the issue, and I can now officially say my RMX is going, going, gone!! Thanks much appreciated, now to tweak the scratching to find the best settings, and the most intuitive setup for the other buttons. Right now I would say I can do absolutely everything a RMX can do and more, except the Kill buttons and the fact that I can not do TCV becuase there are only 2 inputs, but I honestly don't need it.

Anyone interested in a slightly used RMX!

Its too bad about the SHIFT button, it would really push it over the top of we could utilize it! As well only the lights underneath the platters work, but thats minor for me since you can see the status of everything on the computer screen. Once I finish tweaking I will post my XML file for anyone who would like to use it as a starting point for there own tastes for a VCI-300.

Posted Sun 16 Nov 08 @ 6:04 pm
I love the VCI 300. I would really like to use it with VDJ because there is no video support yet. On the audio side its awesome! I was told that the video and the effects are in the works. This is true for sure because I work close with someone who knows exactly whats going on at Vestax. I want to do to video so I wish I could use the VCI 300 with VDJ.

Posted Mon 17 Nov 08 @ 1:13 pm
djbeware wrote :
the other thing I forgot to mention that CUEING is not perfect, if say for instance I have Deck 1 in my earphones, I can hear Deck 2 slightly as well but just at a lower volume. this is not neccassirly bad becuase sometimes I like to whats playing outside in my earphones, especially in a club that has lots of echo. But it would obviously be better if I could control this.

You could try changing your VDJ config sound settings from a 4.1 card to the two soundcard option, use VCI-300 as one soundcard (for main out) and use internal audio (for headphone) as the other soundcard.

Also doesn't VCI-300 have a cue option for its built in headphone output to select which deck to preview? So you should be able to use the hardware's capabilities to preview instead of VDJ sound settings.

- DJ Remedy

Posted Tue 25 Nov 08 @ 11:35 am
ok i know nothing about midi mapping. I have a vci-300 help me out here :)

Posted Sat 06 Dec 08 @ 2:31 am
DJ-ALF wrote :

Pay attention please, you are quoting leveled Pro post.
Thanks
DJ-ALF

Whats a leveled pro post? What am i suppose to be watching?

Posted Tue 09 Dec 08 @ 6:30 pm
sirkitbreaker wrote :
ok i know nothing about midi mapping. I have a vci-300 help me out here :)

Be a little more specific.....

Posted Tue 09 Dec 08 @ 6:31 pm
doesnt matter now i returned the vci-300

Posted Tue 09 Dec 08 @ 6:44 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
djbeware wrote :
DJ-ALF wrote :

Thanks
DJ-ALF

What DJ-ALF is saying, just becareful when posting your email address. What might happen is that, you MAY get alot of spam from anybody who see's that address.

What DJ-ALF has done is to raise you post up a level that only Professional User level or above can see, in order to restricted who can view your post. Hope you undersatnd mate.

Posted Tue 09 Dec 08 @ 6:44 pm

Got it........

Posted Thu 11 Dec 08 @ 3:18 am
Hello, I cant see the configuration posted, all I see is a blank space. was it removed? Can someone send me a copy of the configuration file if it was?

Thanks,
Ewan

Posted Sat 13 Dec 08 @ 2:37 am
so did anyone figure out how to run video on this bad boy?

Posted Sun 14 Dec 08 @ 4:03 pm
I agree!!! The Itch software is great, but the mp3 management and the beat matching for it is not as great as VDJ. PLEASE VDJ, support the VCI-300!!!!

Posted Thu 18 Dec 08 @ 9:59 am
jimmy b wrote :
djbeware wrote :
DJ-ALF wrote :

Thanks
DJ-ALF

What DJ-ALF is saying, just becareful when posting your email address. What might happen is that, you MAY get alot of spam from anybody who see's that address.

What DJ-ALF has done is to raise you post up a level that only Professional User level or above can see, in order to restricted who can view your post. Hope you undersatnd mate.

Yup becareful kuz ive been getting alot of spam since i posted up my email all the way from UK!!!! I LIVE IN FLORIDA USA.. HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO GO TO UK AND CLAIM MY PRIZE!!! HEHE.......

Posted Fri 19 Dec 08 @ 9:58 am
diablo_digital wrote :
Hello, I cant see the configuration posted, all I see is a blank space. was it removed? Can someone send me a copy of the configuration file if it was?

Thanks,
Ewan

I couldn't post the original code so you have to copy the below into notpade and replace all the ^ symbols with < then save the file with whatever .xml name you want like vci300.xml then load it into the midi config in VDJ.

^?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
^midi version="5" date="16/12/2008">
^ctrl ctrl="24" mode="slider" action="crossfader" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="12" mode="slider" action="level" chan="1" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="18" mode="slider" action="level" chan="2" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="25" mode="slider" action="headphone_mix" invert="true" relative="true" />
^note note="37" action="play_pause" chan="1" />
^note note="56" action="play_pause" chan="2" />
^note note="36" action="cue_stop" chan="1" />
^note note="55" action="cue_stop" chan="2" />
^ctrl ctrl="64" mode="encoder" encodermode="1" action="scratch_wheel" chan="1" increments="3" />
^ctrl ctrl="65" mode="encoder" encodermode="1" action="scratch_wheel" chan="2" increments="3" />
^note note="83" action="scratchwheel_touch" chan="1" value="temporary 0" />
^note note="84" action="scratchwheel_touch" chan="2" value="temporary 0" />
^pitch midichannel="3" action="pitch" chan="1" scale="0" />
^pitch midichannel="4" action="pitch" chan="2" scale="0" />
^note note="42" action="hotcue" chan="1" value="1" />
^note note="61" action="hotcue" chan="2" value="1" />
^note note="43" action="hotcue" chan="1" value="2" />
^note note="62" action="hotcue" chan="2" value="2" />
^note note="44" action="hotcue" chan="1" value="3" />
^note note="63" action="hotcue" chan="2" value="3" />
^note note="42" action="loop_in" chan="1" value="auto" />
^note note="61" action="loop_in" chan="2" value="auto" />
^note note="46" action="loop_out" chan="1" value="auto" />
^note note="65" action="loop_out" chan="2" value="auto" />
^ctrl ctrl="17" mode="slider" action="bass" chan="1" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="23" mode="slider" action="bass" chan="2" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="16" mode="slider" action="medium" chan="1" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="22" mode="slider" action="medium" chan="2" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="15" mode="slider" action="high" chan="1" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="21" mode="slider" action="high" chan="2" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="14" mode="slider" action="gain" chan="1" scale="0" />
^ctrl ctrl="20" mode="slider" action="gain" chan="2" scale="0" />
^note note="38" action="key_lock" chan="1" />
^note note="57" action="key_lock" chan="2" />
^note note="78" action="browser_updown" value="+1" />
^note note="77" action="browser_updown" value="-1" />
^note note="79" action="browser_back" />
^note note="81" action="browser_enter" />
^note note="54" action="select" chan="1" />
^note note="73" action="select" chan="2" />
^note note="74" action="sample_play" value="1" />
^note note="75" action="sample_play" value="2" />
^note note="76" action="sample_play" value="3" />
^note note="82" action="vinyl_mode" />
^note note="50" action="reverse" chan="1" />
^note note="69" action="reverse" chan="2" />
^note note="51" action="loop" chan="1" />
^note note="70" action="loop" chan="2" />
^note note="53" action="loop" chan="1" value="+50" />
^note note="72" action="loop" chan="2" value="+50" />
^note note="52" action="loop" chan="1" value="-50" />
^note note="71" action="loop" chan="2" value="-50" />
^note note="40" action="pitch_bend" chan="1" value="temporary +256" />
^note note="59" action="pitch_bend" chan="2" value="temporary +256" />
^note note="39" action="pitch_bend" chan="1" value="temporary -256" />
^note note="58" action="pitch_bend" chan="2" value="temporary -256" />
^note note="45" action="loop_in" chan="1" value="temporary auto" />
^note note="49" action="loop_out" chan="1" value="auto" />
^note note="68" action="loop_in" chan="2" value="temporary auto" />
^note note="64" action="loop_out" chan="2" value="auto" />
^note note="41" action="reloop" chan="1" />
^note note="60" action="reloop" chan="2" />
^ctrl ctrl="25" mode="slider" action="headphone_mix" invert="true" relative="true" />
^/midi>

Posted Sun 21 Dec 08 @ 2:45 pm
I'm just planning to buy Vestax VCI-300 and want to be sure that is really work well also with Virtual DJ. Any problems with gigs or at home? Crashings? Freezings or anything? :)

Posted Sun 28 Dec 08 @ 3:56 am
it is not made to work with vdj and from me experience it doesnt work well. I does ok but don't buy it if you want it for vdj. But itch is good. main issue jog wheels

Posted Sun 28 Dec 08 @ 3:09 pm
How about pitch faders with ITCH.. are they good as on cd/vinyl players or worse? And how about bpm calculator is that ok with ITCH, because VDJ is very good for a drunk DJ who want perfect mixing as me.. ;-)

Posted Mon 29 Dec 08 @ 6:07 am
28%