Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: stand alone

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
stand alone...
what i mean is ....long long long time ago when i used pcdj, there was a option to run pcdj alone.
when you start the computer you only have pcdj. nothing else.
this option is great. maybe vdj can make this for real to...???

Posted Mon 31 Jan 05 @ 7:56 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I don't know this function but it sounds good.

Personnaly I installed XP on two disks then I use multiboot.
This way I have a VirtualDJ OS dedicated with a simple config.

Posted Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 6:43 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Might want to look into some 'Kiosk' software. This would allow you to have a more secure and flexible integration for 'Stand Alone' operations. Plus, alot harder to breakout of through standard window's shortcut key strokes, which I don't believe PCDJ full protected you from performing.

Just my thoughts.

Posted Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 6:27 pm
al0000PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yeah i remember that too in PCDJ.

It is indeed a nice feature, very pro.

Posted Thu 03 Feb 05 @ 7:30 pm
this can be done, but not through VDJ's options...

the program is called ShellON, and can be found @
http://www.indexo.pionexnet.co.uk/surf.design/shellon/features.htm

all you have to do, is install this piece of software, and then set it up to recognise the VDJ exe file as a shell.. this only loads base windows and only runs VDJ...

I can write a tutorial on this if anyone would like to do this, but is unsure of what they are doing?

If a couple of people ask.. I will do a write up, and post the link here... any takers???

hmmm.. as for kiosk software however, if only the DJ's will be using this computer, i think there more after the performance side of things, rather than cutting the windows shortcuts.. (too many cooks spoil the broth syndrome) plus, these keys can be handy at times, now that taskman displays usage info...

Posted Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 12:24 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It looks good but I'm not sure that it works with XP.
On the site it's written that it doesn't work with 2000.

Did you test ?
Tell us more.

Posted Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 1:48 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree with clax, that ShellON software sounds iffy?
Since I suggested the kiosk approach here are some sites with inexpensive software --

http://www.lighttek.com/ -- Talisman Desktop 2.81 -- I like this one, lots of choices and customization.

http://www.softheap.com/pubpcd.html -- Public PC Desktop -- similiar to the ShellON recommended above, but works with Win2000 and WinXP. Also inexpensive.

Good Luck!!

Posted Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 2:14 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I dont know about these programs, but i had a bad experience with this feature and pcdj red
sometime. The computer crashed in stand alone mode and for some reason it was not possible to start up properly, and i was no able to start it in normal mode either, so i had to reinstall win 2000 again that time..., so i'm afraid...
Instead i use a 2 users/acounts win xp setup now, -its a desktop pc- and only i, log on as administrator
Virtual dj is on my startup folder, and loads automatically.
The other acount has no privileges, so no one but me has access to my music and programs.
Only winamp to play at startup when im not there...

Posted Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 4:04 am
i've used shellon flawlessly with WinXP (using it to boot explorer and fruityloops as seperate OS's) if anyone wants me to go head and testit and post screenshots.. i'll do it no bother...!

i do believe that Windows2000, more aimed at networks than home pcs, has problems with access rights concerning different OS's or the changing of

but again.. i will test and show ye all the results!

Posted Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 3:26 pm
well i went away and tested, but found a much easier and less risky (well i think it is) way of doing it...

hands up who is scared of editing there registry?
anyone?

i know of a simple way of getting VDJ to be the only program that loads:

HKLM/Software/Windows NT/Current Version/WinLogon/Shell = "C:\Windows\Explorer.exe"

to:
HKLM/Software/Windows NT/Current Version/WinLogon/Shell = "XXX:\Location\of\virtualdj.exe"

but change the last path to where your VDJ is stored..
need explorer back? then simply reset the value in the registry...

i will do a step by step for this with pictured for those of you that are a little timidated by the registry, as well as how to reset the registry - using CTRL+ALT+DEL from only having VDJ loaded...

however, I take no responsibilty for anyone damaging their systems from this process, i have tested it on my machine.. and it works fine..

Posted Sat 05 Feb 05 @ 1:08 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Steve you are BIG...

After reading your post i tried this:
(wlile online... writing this post..)

ALT+CONTROL+DEL
task manager->selected "explorer.exe" (on the list)->kill task
(explorer disappear...)
Then File->new task->"C:\Programs_D\VirtualDJ\virtualdj.exe"
(my location of virtual dj)

Its the same thing but just ..on the fly.
New task->explorer.exe to run explorer again.

Posted Sat 05 Feb 05 @ 2:45 am
lol apopsis..

hehe.. yeah ya can do it this way as well i suppose.. but ya know ;)

and for no apparent reason, the above post took out the slashes.. but if you literate enough to use VDJ, you know where the slashes go :)

maybe someone will make me a vip helper ;)

Posted Sat 05 Feb 05 @ 3:19 am
djlarsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
explorer.exe SHOULD just restart itself(?) - kill explorer is a common fix to reload desktop, when all is frozen and unresponsive..,
A problem with virtualdj as shell might be some sounddrivers not loading correctly when not starting in the ordinary "windows mode" - atleast this was troubleome to get past with BPM Studio starting as a exclusive shell some time ago. Maybe that was done a different way, but I doubt it.. Thinking of things like the Hercules tray application, which loads/sets the correct mixer mode(?), and similar helpers for Audiotrak and Creative cards (sorry to mention these two in the same sentence..). Even the Emuxx/kx drivers for Creative need their trayapp to load properly to function/initialize.

Worth trying, but copying the virtualdj shortcut to startupfolder for a specific user is the "safe" option. Maybe it can remeber to be maximized as default, or started with a option like "-full" perhaps?

Miss a good 1280x1024 skin for fullscreen...

Posted Tue 08 Feb 05 @ 7:54 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
@ djlaris

Not sure, but when you kill the process it stays dead :P Same with explorer.exe here...

Posted Tue 08 Feb 05 @ 11:18 pm
babo669Home userMember since 2016
i like to known the website that i can get virtual dj

Posted Fri 08 Dec 17 @ 3:03 pm

Posted Fri 08 Dec 17 @ 3:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)