Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Im done with Virtual DJ / NumarkCue, Changing to Traktor. Heres why

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

86IvarHome userMember since 2006
Hi, im sorry, but i think i will change my Dj software to Traktor.

Heres why:

-The equalisers distorts sound quality the sound when you apply them more than 0 db.

-The time stretch/master tempo works bad, even with advanced options, yesterday I noticed that when i was playng, it missed some the beats, like if i muted the bass!
-
IT has too much graphic stuff. My USB port, where my Numark TC and sound card is has the same IRQ so i have a conflict, cant change it anywhere (more my computers faullt but anyway I think the graphics is too much) It gives glitches sometimes.

-The vst effects plugins idea is not good either, like TK filter V2, great effect, too bad it distorts the sound when reonance is applied, goes too low so it amplifies the sub bass too much (would probably blow the speakers in a disco) And you cant control it with MIDI signals (tk filterv2)... Flange plugin, i tried many, but none is good. And the effects glitches when you turn it on. Damn, VST if for music making! Not playing.

-Sound card options and assignments is too weak, cant assign the outputs, like my AUDIO 8 Soundcard has headphones on channel 7 and 8, but VDJ assigns 3 and 4 or 1 and 2 as headphones output.

-The waveform bar at the top is somehow off by lie 0.5 secounds, if you load a short song, like a sample or something (2 sec) you willl see...

-The VU meters is living therir own life compared to a real and good one, damn what is the point of having them when they are non usable, could have a clipping light warning instead.

-The sampler, fair enough but not great...

- I dont like the skin system, (more my own opinion though, but i think it takes too much resources and is not "fast")

-It uses to much resources and glitchy, slow, I know i dont have a good pc, but how much can something like this use? I dont see any difference in faster pc's anyway. Its like winamp visualisations plugins, i have never seen a pc able to drive those at a reasonable resolution,tried since year 2000, noeone can do it.

If it was not for this, VDJ would be a great program.
I admit that I loved VDJ for some years now, but I think I will change now. I have got these problems since 3.1, and it does not seem to get fixed. I have tried the pro version and it is not better there, i have also used it on like 4 PCs, 3 stationaries and my laptop.
Sorry VDJ team.

My hardware setup:
Acer laptop 5601, 4Gb ram 1,73Ghz dual core.
NI Audio 8 Soundcard
Numark TotalControl

Posted Thu 02 Oct 08 @ 6:20 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Well we don't like to lose people and we strive to improve and support based on user's requests and reported problems.

It's always been that way and we will continue doing so.
But, we will leave the light on if you want to come back someday.

Posted Thu 02 Oct 08 @ 6:39 pm
Does your soundcard and copy of cue LE have the option of using WDM drivers? I have bad IRQ conflicts on my laptop as well and the ASIO drivers were a nightmare with any combination of equipment I tryed. However using the WDM drivers, before with the HERC mk2 and now the HERC RMX, runs smooth as butter;^]

Posted Thu 02 Oct 08 @ 7:06 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I think I would agree with most of those points to an extent. The TK flanger, even though provided with program is seriously glitchey and can send a massive signal with just 1 wrong press. This makes it either unusable or very dangerous on large systems. The flanger isn’t too bad but as a staple effect could do with a better quality. Also people seem to have stability problems with effects causing crashing? The time stretch still needs work.

Since I started mixing on VDJ my rules of thumb have always been don’t use; effects, timestretch, sonique and lastly don’t boost the gains (same on a mixer). It’s a shame these are all still the case years on but no big deal for me. I would like effects to be more usable with TCV (try back cueing with vocals+ on)

Its got to be said though that bundling dodgy effects with the program is not a good way to get first impressions. Fair enough if someone wants to download the TK filter and take that risk but if it comes with it people make some assumptions as to its usability.

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 6:01 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Out of interest, you do realise that irrespective of what your master tempo settings are - you seem to have to have scratch set to enhanced mode for master tempo to use the advanced mode...

Also, I run video on my laptop with two MIDI devices and a firewire soundcard, using clipbank, music videos, scrolltext and random clipbank video. When not loading a file my CPU sits at around 2-8%. Doesn't seem very heavy to me ;) Sonique does introduce more of loading however, around 20% IIRC.

Anyway, my opinion has always been use whatever works for you - so good luck for the future :)

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 7:51 pm
thats funny i quit using traktor to use VDJ. I think it is interesting how one dj sees one as being better than the other. But I guess I don't use effect or time stretch stuff and i beat match by ear .

Posted Sat 04 Oct 08 @ 12:59 am
I don't use the beat match feature anymore either, it's all done by ear.

Posted Sat 04 Oct 08 @ 4:04 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Charlie Wilson wrote :
I don't use the beat match feature anymore either, it's all done by ear.

Me to.

I've used it 3 times, just to try out and IMO it's too dodgy for me.

Posted Sat 04 Oct 08 @ 4:15 am
same here, I gave up Traktor also...it's not as "user friendly" as VDJ. But the sound card that comes with Traktor is awesome!

Posted Tue 07 Oct 08 @ 3:29 pm
86Ivar wrote :
Hi, im sorry, but i think i will change my Dj software to Traktor.

Heres why:

-The equalisers distorts sound quality the sound when you apply them more than 0 db.

-The time stretch/master tempo works bad, even with advanced options, yesterday I noticed that when i was playng, it missed some the beats, like if i muted the bass!
-
IT has too much graphic stuff. My USB port, where my Numark TC and sound card is has the same IRQ so i have a conflict, cant change it anywhere (more my computers faullt but anyway I think the graphics is too much) It gives glitches sometimes.

-The vst effects plugins idea is not good either, like TK filter V2, great effect, too bad it distorts the sound when reonance is applied, goes too low so it amplifies the sub bass too much (would probably blow the speakers in a disco) And you cant control it with MIDI signals (tk filterv2)... Flange plugin, i tried many, but none is good. And the effects glitches when you turn it on. Damn, VST if for music making! Not playing.

-Sound card options and assignments is too weak, cant assign the outputs, like my AUDIO 8 Soundcard has headphones on channel 7 and 8, but VDJ assigns 3 and 4 or 1 and 2 as headphones output.

-The waveform bar at the top is somehow off by lie 0.5 secounds, if you load a short song, like a sample or something (2 sec) you willl see...

-The VU meters is living therir own life compared to a real and good one, damn what is the point of having them when they are non usable, could have a clipping light warning instead.

-The sampler, fair enough but not great...

- I dont like the skin system, (more my own opinion though, but i think it takes too much resources and is not "fast")

-It uses to much resources and glitchy, slow, I know i dont have a good pc, but how much can something like this use? I dont see any difference in faster pc's anyway. Its like winamp visualisations plugins, i have never seen a pc able to drive those at a reasonable resolution,tried since year 2000, noeone can do it.

If it was not for this, VDJ would be a great program.
I admit that I loved VDJ for some years now, but I think I will change now. I have got these problems since 3.1, and it does not seem to get fixed. I have tried the pro version and it is not better there, i have also used it on like 4 PCs, 3 stationaries and my laptop.
Sorry VDJ team.

My hardware setup:
Acer laptop 5601, 4Gb ram 1,73Ghz dual core.
NI Audio 8 Soundcard
Numark TotalControl

Maybe you need a new computer, sound card and controller and not new software.

Ive been using VDJ for years and as I've updated my hardware it seems to perform even better.

I really appreciate this software because 20 years ago I had to deal with records and turntables.

Times have changed. Thank you VDJ.

Posted Tue 07 Oct 08 @ 9:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)